Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Catalytic converter theft up 3,800%

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-21, 02:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Honestly, I'd call the police first and then confront. My car is parked in my driveway so they are trespassing on my property. My father was military and in the war so he was pretty comfortable around firearms. I have no issue with right to bear arms
Your car is a Tesla, it doesnt have cats. 😂
Old 05-24-21, 02:26 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Your car is a Tesla, it doesnt have cats. 😂
I own more ICEs than EVs
Old 05-24-21, 02:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I think the first thing I'd do would be to run up and twist the jack handle to let the car down.
Just wipe finger prints after and claim you didnt do anything, lol.
Old 05-24-21, 02:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

"officer I thought he was trapped under that car and was trying to help jack the car up to pull him out"
Old 05-24-21, 03:57 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
(I have no idea about the law). If someone were on your property stealing your catalytic converter’s, could you legally approach with your weapon drawn towards them? Any smart thief or just run away
In Tennessee if they're on your property, you sure can. I wouldn't actually shoot them (duh..or unless they came at me or my spouse with intent to do harm) but yeah. I'm not a lawyer but there's a chance you may not even have to be on your property as vehicles are an extension of your home, that's sort of the Cliff's notes of it. If you're interested, look up Castle Doctrine laws. For example, no permit needed to carry a loaded car in your vehicle. After July 1 in Tennessee nobody needs a permit for anything , concealed or open carry.

What so many don't understand (not saying you), the flip side to the coin is how harsh gun penalty laws are. We relaxed the whole thing with the permits but the penalties for gun crimes are going to be worse. Don't be stupid with guns (duh again lol).
Old 05-24-21, 04:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
In Tennessee if they're on your property, you sure can. I wouldn't actually shoot them (duh..or unless they came at me or my spouse with intent to do harm) but yeah. I'm not a lawyer but there's a chance you may not even have to be on your property as vehicles are an extension of your home, that's sort of the Cliff's notes of it. If you're interested, look up Castle Doctrine laws. For example, no permit needed to carry a loaded car in your vehicle. After July 1 in Tennessee nobody needs a permit for anything , concealed or open carry.

What so many don't understand (not saying you), the flip side to the coin is how harsh gun penalty laws are. We relaxed the whole thing with the permits but the penalties for gun crimes are going to be worse. Don't be stupid with guns (duh again lol).
Thanks my friend. I have heard of Castle Law....but can legally point a firearm at someone if they are underneath your car?
Old 05-24-21, 04:11 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Thanks my friend. I have heard of Castle Law....but can legally point a firearm at someone if they are underneath your car?
when you fear personal harm, like when the guy comes at you with the torch
Old 05-24-21, 04:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
when you fear personal harm, like when the guy comes at you with the torch
Probably differs from state to state, but it seems to me that citizen hardly have a right to use any kind of force to defend their property anymore. They can argue the thief wasn’t a threat to you until you confronted him. Its a rabid hole, and hardly worth it over a catalytic converter, but where do you draw the line?

I know in NY if these thieves got caught, they would be let go the next day.
Old 05-25-21, 01:29 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm not sure on this one. If not on my own property I would probably draw my weapon but not point it at them (or anything) and/or verbally announce I have a gun in my hand that I won't hesitate to use until the cops arrive. You don't want to risk an aggravated assault charge. Like I said I'm not a lawyer though. On your own property all bets are off, just don't shoot them in the back. You don't have the luxury to wait for 911 to arrive if your house is broken into, my own Mother didn't seem to get that until she thought she heard someone in the house a few months back and grabbed the .380 I bought for her. If possible call 911, find a corner or a closet, and blast away if you have to.

Originally Posted by Och
Probably differs from state to state, but it seems to me that citizen hardly have a right to use any kind of force to defend their property anymore. They can argue the thief wasn’t a threat to you until you confronted him. Its a rabid hole, and hardly worth it over a catalytic converter, but where do you draw the line?

I know in NY if these thieves got caught, they would be let go the next day.
Yeah, lots and LOTS of restrictions up there. I never carry up to Rochester because it's illegal as soon as you're out of the South. Gun laws in NY are ridiculous. No disrespect but I wouldn't be surprised if up there the robber sues you for emotional distress and wins if you defend your house with a gun.

Last edited by AJT123; 05-25-21 at 01:34 PM.