Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Used car prices rising?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-21, 06:24 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by JTMav
There’s a local dealer outside of Boston that is running an ad that if you turn in your lease to his dealership, whether you leased it from him or not, he will give you $500 on the spot. Real shortage of used cars around here for sure. Seeing 10 year old cars for sale on big dealership lots, that’s pretty unusual.
$500? My Durango SRT was worth about $10k more than my buyout so I had to buy it before my lease was up. Many other cars are worth more as well so his $500 isn’t really a good deal to anyone right now unless you just leased it.

Hopefully my new X7 will be here soon while the prices of used cars are up so I get a good trade in. Unfortunately I ordered the X7 a month too late. I got about $10k off MSRP and had I ordered a month earlier people were getting about $13k off. Of course even the discount I got is probably not there anymore.
Old 05-22-21, 06:46 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

Housing thru the roof......Our house now is worth triple what we paid for it less then 8 yrs ago.....
Old 05-22-21, 03:13 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Yeah I'm at a similar dilemma, don't have access to another vehicle to use for a few months so I would need to replace right away.

Always liked those GS's!

Temping numbers when looking at resale and trade-in values....but the cars I would replace with are selling for top dollar as well.

I took a peek at trucks last week, just an old beater F-150 or similar to keep around...prices real high on those as well.
I looked at F-150’s as well and saw the same thing. I couldn’t imagine paying over ten grand for a 10-15 year old truck or car. It’s the same with all of the trucks. The old single cab Silverado/Sierras got pricey too.

Hopefully things calm down but it looks like it could be a while.
Old 05-22-21, 04:10 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I just got a quote from Vroom and Carvana on my Durango. Vroom was over $55k and Carvana was over $49k. It’s too bad my order won’t be completed for a few weeks, the market can change quickly.
Old 05-22-21, 04:18 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I just got a quote from Vroom and Carvana on my Durango. Vroom was over $55k and Carvana was over $49k. It’s too bad my order won’t be completed for a few weeks, the market can change quickly.
Entirely speculation of course but a couple articles were saying they thought prices were still on the rise and would continue to be high for a while.
Old 05-26-21, 10:30 AM
LScruiserJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Used cars price rising

You are told inflation in anything is only temporary. Why would anyone buy that? In Medicare($3 monthly premium in 1965) and Postage, the price rises are permanent and they never look back. Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) can keep running because it can get away with printing. Every crisis comes with print solution. But people are talking about recovery, chip shortages and etc. now as good excuses for rising prices of everything. I have not seen car prices, used or not coming down in my life. I remember in late 70s I can buy a good used car for $450 ( 70 Chevy Nova), or $500 for something else. What can you do with that now? Finance department of dirty car dealers(stealers) want to steal from you an extra $500 by keeping you there for 4 hours. That was my last new car buying experience in 2014. No matter how tough you are, they are DIRTIER.
Old 05-26-21, 10:52 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by LScruiserJ
You are told inflation in anything is only temporary. Why would anyone buy that? In Medicare($3 monthly premium in 1965) and Postage, the price rises are permanent and they never look back. Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) can keep running because it can get away with printing. Every crisis comes with print solution. But people are talking about recovery, chip shortages and etc. now as good excuses for rising prices of everything. I have not seen car prices, used or not coming down in my life. I remember in late 70s I can buy a good used car for $450 ( 70 Chevy Nova), or $500 for something else. What can you do with that now? Finance department of dirty car dealers(stealers) want to steal from you an extra $500 by keeping you there for 4 hours. That was my last new car buying experience in 2014. No matter how tough you are, they are DIRTIER.
Prices may fluctuate downwards but I agree, the value will never go BACK to what it once was or anything. Used cars being over MSRP however should be corrected in time. If your car or home value goes up 20% during inflation it may drop later but never the whole 20%. It is a different kind of market than healthcare or postage though.

My neighbor mentioned thinking about selling his home while the price was so high...I asked him since when would ever get "so low" in comparison moving forward? Never. Of course he thought "anything can happen" which is kind of true but no generally speaking it's only going to go up.

I've arranged deals with dealers over the phone prior with a signed sales sheet before j arrive. Have also left them sitting in the office asking they not call me unless they have a question and until they're are done, ready for me to sign and hand over the keys. Didn't really work lol, they take forever.
Old 05-26-21, 11:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LScruiserJ
You are talking about straight prices, not buying power based on constant dollars.
Old 05-26-21, 11:12 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My neighbor mentioned thinking about selling his home while the price was so high...I asked him since when would ever get "so low" in comparison moving forward? Never. Of course he thought "anything can happen" which is kind of true but no generally speaking it's only going to go up.
Have you already forgotten 2008?
Old 05-26-21, 12:34 PM
LScruiserJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prices may fluctuate downwards but I agree, the value will never go BACK to what it once was or anything. Used cars being over MSRP however should be corrected in time. If your car or home value goes up 20% during inflation it may drop later but never the whole 20%. It is a different kind of market than healthcare or postage though.

I've arranged deals with dealers over the phone prior with a signed sales sheet before j arrive. Have also left them sitting in the office asking they not call me unless they have a question and until they're are done, ready for me to sign and hand over the keys. Didn't really work lol, they take forever.
Totally agree with you on used cars selling over MSRP should be temporary.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-26-21 at 03:05 PM. Reason: No politics discussion on our community
Old 05-26-21, 04:38 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

i sold my tacoma for almost the same price (within $1k) i bought it for 6 years ago! then bought a used sequoia for more than i wanted to spend because of this weird market we have. i really wanted a tundra but trucks are even more inflated than i wanted to spend! lesson: should have kept the taco haha!
Old 05-27-21, 07:14 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by tex2670
Have you already forgotten 2008?
nope, but doesn't fall into "generally speaking"
Could argue were on our way there again, or similar. Student loans looking potentially catastrophic.
Old 05-27-21, 07:35 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Most sports cars have increased in value as ppl are looking to buy their dream cars before everything goes EV.
Oh sure, not just sports cars though....cars/trucks with desirable engines period.

People are cleaning out the last of the 200 series Land Cruisers this year bc the 5.7 V8 has been dropped, I think sales are up 30-40%? I'm on Ih8mud and people are snatching up them up fast.
Old 05-27-21, 07:38 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

New car prices are rising as well - the cost of goods is increasing. I read an article on Bloomberg yesterday about what's happening with new car prices. Due to this, used car prices will remain high for a while IMO. A guy I know does very large volume in helping a dealership with their used car inventory and does a lot of buying and off loading of their inventory at auction. He said he's paying 20+ percent more for a used Camry now than he was 6 months ago - and the dealership is selling these 2-3 year old Camry's for very close to sticker of a brand new Camry (same line). He's been in this business over 30 years and says he's never seen it like this. The dealers are doing very well.
Old 05-27-21, 07:38 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

My neighbor mentioned thinking about selling his home while the price was so high...I asked him since when would ever get "so low" in comparison moving forward? Never. Of
I don't get this either. I have amazing equity in my house and could make a huge return, but I'd just have to "buy right back into the market" effectively erasing my wealth.

Quick Reply: Used car prices rising?