Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda6 and Mazda CX-3 discontinued for 2022 model year

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-21, 12:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Mazda6 and Mazda CX-3 discontinued for 2022 model year

It’s time to bid a sweet goodbye to the Mazda6 and Mazda CX-3. In a statement today, Mazda officially announced that both models would be discontinued after their 2021 model year run comes to an end.

“As consumer interests continue to evolve, Mazda will discontinue CX-3 and Mazda6 for the 2022 model year. Although these two vehicles will be leaving our lineup, we are proud of the performance, design, quality, and safety they contributed to our brand.”

The CX-3’s death comes as no surprise. It hardly had a reason for being after the CX-30 launched. Plus, Mazda culled its model range to just a single trim recently, which was nearly as effective at saying it’s dead as the official press release was.

It’s the Mazda6’s discontinuation that will leave us wondering and scratching our heads a bit. Ask just about any automotive reviewer what their favorite sedan is in this class, and the majority of responses will be either Mazda6 or Honda Accord. That said, there’s no hiding from sales figures. The Mazda6’s decade-high year was back in 2015 at 57,898 cars sold, and it’s been on a downward slope ever since. Mazda only moved 21,524 in 2019, and pandemic-stricken 2020 saw just 16,204 units sold. No matter how many experts trumpet the car’s superb driving dynamics and luxurious interior, the market doesn’t seem to care.

There’s a modicum of hope on the horizon, though. Reports and rumors point to Mazda coming out with a new midsize sedan that is rear-wheel drive and powered by an inline-six engine. We can only hope those rumors are true, and that the U.S. gets to bask in the glory of what will certainly be a flagship product for Mazda.

We’ve asked Mazda about its sedan strategy in the future, and received the standard "we cannot share details of future products at this time" response from a spokesperson. If this RWD I6 sedan ever does surface, there’s always the chance that Mazda gives it a new name, retiring “Mazda6” for good.

In the meantime, the 2021 Mazda6 lineup is loaded up with tons of trims and an optional 2.5-turbo engine. The Carbon Edition is new this year with blacked-out trim and an exclusive red leather interior, too. Buy it while it lasts, folks.
Source
Old 05-21-21, 12:16 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Mazda cancelling products yet again? The sky is still blue I see.

All that hype for a RWD Mazda 6 ended up being vaporware in typical Mazda fashion, to no surprise.
Old 05-21-21, 12:21 PM
Hoovey689

The CX-3 is no surprise as the CX-30 seems better in most facets. Meanwhile looks like Accord, Camry, and Sonata will likely benefit the most from the Mazda6 being axed.
Old 05-21-21, 12:49 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The CX-3 is no surprise as the CX-30 seems better in most facets. Meanwhile looks like Accord, Camry, and Sonata will likely benefit the most from the Mazda6 being axed.
With 21 and 16K units sold in 2019 and 2020 respectively, I don't think the Mazda 6 ever sold in enough quantities to be a threat to anyone. It seems like Mazda is just giving up on non-CUV's in general. Though I'm surprised they haven't axed the Miata.
Old 05-21-21, 12:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,836 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Skyactiv blue?
Old 05-21-21, 12:57 PM
Hoovey689

With 21 and 16K units sold in 2019 and 2020 respectively, I don't think the Mazda 6 ever sold in enough quantities to be a threat to anyone. It seems like Mazda is just giving up on non-CUV's in general. Though I'm surprised they haven't axed the Miata.
Who said threat? What I meant was people who wanted a Mazda sedan will likely move to one of those models hence Camry, Accord, Sonata will benefit. A few extra units each, I doubt Honda, Toyota, or Hyundai are complaining.
Old 05-21-21, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Bummer about the Mazda 6, most attractive car in the segment IMO. Market realities at work though. CX-3 makes sense, CX-30 is a similar and better product. If Mazda is smart they will call that the CX-3.
Old 05-21-21, 01:58 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All that hype for a RWD Mazda 6 ended up being vaporware in typical Mazda fashion, to no surprise.
If it shows up on NA market it will definitely not have the 6 badge on the trunk.
Old 05-21-21, 02:33 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vladi
If it shows up on NA market it will definitely not have the 6 badge on the trunk.
Isn't the 6 cancelled for all markets or just NA? I'm not seeing any news on the global site.
Old 05-21-21, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

CX-3 being dumped is not surprising. Arguably the most unimpressive product Mazda sells in North America.....crude, tinny, and like a sardine can in the rear seat. CX-30 a far better vehicle.

I had a couple of MM-review-requests from CL members for what was (?) to be the incoming 2022 Skyaciv in-line 6 version of the next-generation Mazda6 (preferably, if possible, with manual transmission)....but it looks like we in the U.S. might not be getting the next gen Mazda6 at all, much less the high-zoot model.
Old 05-21-21, 04:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Not surprised the 6 is gone. Always felt the 6 seemed smaller inside and outside than the Camry, even though they are apparently the same size. But, it’s hard for the 6 to go head to head with the Camry which offers a i4, V6, i4 awd and a hybrid. There is also Honda and Hyundai. Nissan has something in the segment. My fav is the Subaru Legacy.
Old 05-21-21, 05:37 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
it looks like we in the U.S. might not be getting the next gen Mazda6 at all, much less the high-zoot model.
That's what's really unusual. The U.S. market is pretty much the only one that will allow its consumers to buy high-displacement 6 cylinder engines without emissions fines out the wazoo like in Europe or China or Japan. So if Mazda were to make this hypothetical longitudinally mounted inline 6 premium sedan, which market is it for?

I would bet that Mazda has given up on the concept of a midsize premium sedan altogether and moving onto crossovers like everyone else.
Old 05-21-21, 06:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That's what's really unusual. The U.S. market is pretty much the only one that will allow its consumers to buy high-displacement 6 cylinder engines without emissions fines out the wazoo like in Europe or China or Japan. So if Mazda were to make this hypothetical longitudinally mounted inline 6 premium sedan, which market is it for?
My first guess would be Germany....to maybe compete against the BMW straight-sixes?

And, come to think of it, when I was driving Mazdas, some 30 years ago, they were known as the "Poor Man's BMW."

I would bet that Mazda has given up on the concept of a midsize premium sedan altogether and moving onto crossovers like everyone else.
Yep....probably the crossover craze. I would not bet against that, although they do seem to be leaving the Miata around for enthusiasts.
Old 05-21-21, 06:28 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My first guess would be Germany....to maybe compete against the BMW straight-sixes?
No way, that would be suicide. The Germans are only able to sell those vehicles because they're local brands and thus don't have enormous export taxes on them in addition to the emissions fees. Lexus doesn't offer any V6 currently in Europe that isn't a hybrid, and Genesis has refused to offer any 6-cylinder engine for Europe.

Austrailia might be another possibility, since Mazda has a pretty strong foothold there, but even the Aussies are crossover crazy now.
Old 05-21-21, 06:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

That's what's really unusual. . So if Mazda were to make this hypothetical longitudinally mounted inline 6 premium sedan, which market is it for?
There is no market for inline 6 premium sedan from Mazda. Maybe, just maybe if they shared a Toyota model with their partnership the cure or have.

Quick Reply: Mazda6 and Mazda CX-3 discontinued for 2022 model year