Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why every time I am in stop and go traffic

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-21, 01:35 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 345 Likes on 227 Posts
Default Why every time I am in stop and go traffic

Why every time I am in stop and go traffic, in my RCF, on the freeway, does some young woman in a car that literally has a shredded front end from all the times she has crashed into the cars in front of her, end up behind me. Then I can see her in my rear view mirror texting the entire time. The young lady today never looked up once and almost hit me several times, until I could squeeze into the next lane. Luckily she did not follow me into the other lane, as that has happened before.

It makes me insane.
Old 05-27-21, 01:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
Why every time I am in stop and go traffic, in my RCF, on the freeway, does some young woman in a car that literally has a shredded front end from all the times she has crashed into the cars in front of her, end up behind me. Then I can see her in my rear view mirror texting the entire time. The young lady today never looked up once and almost hit me several times, until I could squeeze into the next lane. Luckily she did not follow me into the other lane, as that has happened before.

It makes me insane.
You need to put a grill on the front and back of your RCF. That will solve that issue.
Old 05-27-21, 01:47 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHWY128

It makes me insane.
Funny you mention this, just thought about it few weeks ago, been proving my point ever since.

So often a car driving hazardously shows sings of previous accidents. Most of the time, younger people 30s or so. Often enough, I pass someone who can't drive straight, and yup they're on their phone. Once passed check my rearview...and yup front end bashed in. Been working the other way around too...see a car from previous wreck and check out the driver...looking at their phone or doing something else while driving.

I cant say I watch for drivers texting who are not driving like idiots in non-bashed cars....however when I do have a reason to check its so very often bashed car's driver is distracted.

I thought I was being too narrow minded but I've been proving this theory to myself while trying to prove myself wrong.
Old 05-27-21, 02:11 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

so far the only ones to comment are from CA haha! it's all to common here.

i usually just change lanes as fast as i can. i find that the "truck lanes" on the fwy move the most consistent since they are likely to limit pushing in the clutch to row gears = steadier pace.
Old 05-27-21, 03:18 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool

i usually just change lanes as fast as i can. i find that the "truck lanes" on the fwy move the most consistent since they are likely to limit pushing in the clutch to row gears = steadier pace.
Yeah the #1 (or is it #4) lane, the "fast lane" really looses its glamor in traffic. Too many trigger happy people on the gas, therefore on the brakes too.
Old 05-27-21, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
No. I see the same nonsense, every day, here in the D.C. suburbs (and have posted about it more than once) ....perhaps because of the enormous amount of traffic here (comparable, in some ways, to California), and the life-style here, which is self-centered and will not let anything go for one minute.
Old 05-27-21, 06:34 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. I see the same nonsense, every day, here in the D.C. suburbs (and have posted about it more than once) ....perhaps because of the enormous amount of traffic here (comparable, in some ways, to California), and the life-style here, which is self-centered and will not let anything go for one minute.
I 100% agree that it is like that in the DC area. When I see someone like that I try to switch lanes as soon as I can.
Old 05-28-21, 03:48 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

when i drove in DC i did notice that, so it was like home !

i vacationed in hawaii and everyone there is much more chill and courteous (aloha spirit perhaps?). after coming home from that trip, i found myself more relaxed behind the wheel despite the craziness - which sadly only lasted for a few days...
Old 05-30-21, 10:00 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Reminds me of the young gal down the street that got her first Accord. It was a pretty nice clean car for about all of 2 weeks. Front bumper was dislodged but not completely off the tabs. It had huge big black scuffs and a crack. I was surprised it didn't have air bag deployment. A month later there was a long gouge-indentation running the passenger side door to rear quarter panel. Looks like it met a yellow pole. A few weeks later the rear bumper on the driver side had a few broken tabs and was sticking out. Not long later it looked like she backed into another pole. She got a new Acura TSX back at the start of Covid. This car resembles the Accord now.
Old 05-31-21, 02:08 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
Reminds me of the young gal down the street that got her first Accord. It was a pretty nice clean car for about all of 2 weeks. Front bumper was dislodged but not completely off the tabs. It had huge big black scuffs and a crack. I was surprised it didn't have air bag deployment. A month later there was a long gouge-indentation running the passenger side door to rear quarter panel. Looks like it met a yellow pole. A few weeks later the rear bumper on the driver side had a few broken tabs and was sticking out. Not long later it looked like she backed into another pole. She got a new Acura TSX back at the start of Covid. This car resembles the Accord now.
I was hoping this wasn’t true. One day she’s going to cause a pile up
Old 05-31-21, 04:55 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
She got a new Acura TSX back at the start of Covid. This car resembles the Accord now.
There was an old saying...20% of the people have 80% of the accidents. Unfortunately, we all pay for their inability to focus on the task at hand. The most we can hope for is to steer clear of them and not become one of their victims.
Old 05-31-21, 09:00 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Yep, and these are the same people that park like crap also.
Old 06-01-21, 06:44 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

I learned yrs ago, to always have a way out. A few yrs ago, I switched lanes as the traffic in that lane was really slowing down, vehicle behind me, slammed into the car ahead....There are times I miss living in California, but for sure not the traffic.....Long Beach, Rose park & Palo Alto.....I for sure don't miss the property taxes...