Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buying after leasing:Should I buy the Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-21, 08:03 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 729 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by vskaplan
Have you saved 50% at a dealer or a third party? Again, thanks everyone for your help.
another dealer than the one we bought the car from. Savings will obviously vary, the 50% saving we found was on a car we bought for our son.
Old 05-31-21, 08:43 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Our only vehicle which ever left us stranded was a Lexus. Average reliability is all well and good until it’s your specific car which is stuck stranded on the side of the road. If you can get peace of mind at half off what you are being quoted it is probably worth it. And make no mistake, there is a ton of dealer mark up on these products. In other cases I’ve personally saved around 50% from retail. Shop around. You can get peace of mind at a big discount.
A extended warranty won't stop your vehicle from being stranded/breaking down/having issues. What was the problem and how much did it cost to get fixed, is it common? Would the extended warranty have even been worth it.

OP has still not named the vehicle they are talking about. Again I would say no unless it is a Hybrid LS/LS460 AWD with air suspension. There is no reason to get a extended warranty on any other Lexus or Toyota or Acura/Honda, possibly a LX if it has air suspension. Extended warranties are for European cars.
Old 05-31-21, 08:56 PM
vskaplan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, the Lexus is the 350ES.
Old 06-02-21, 09:34 AM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default old timer

I don't know if this still holds true or not. I have an 06 Lexus IS350 that I bought extended warranty for right before the manufacturers warranty ran out. At that time it was suggested in Club Lexus to buy it from a Toyota dealer which was about $1k cheaper that the Lexus dealership. It was bumper to bumper and no deductible. I did ended using the extended warranty and I did not have to show proof of maintenance. To me it was well worth the money. My IS now has over 220,000 miles no warranty but the only issue I have right now is that it is eating oil and one of my cats needs to be replaced because the oil has fouled it up.
Old 06-02-21, 09:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Should you buy an extended warranty? Ask yourself this: how often do you have a repair that is (or would have been) covered by a warranty that costs as much as the warranty premium? Extended warranties are like Vegas odds - in the long run, the house always wins. If you've had a string of bad luck, and it gives you peace of mind, go ahead and do it. But the long game odds are that you will pay more for the warranty than you will get out of it.
Old 06-02-21, 11:49 AM
100stars
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No no no no no no-no. I leased an LX570 in 2018 for two years. then decided to purchase it. It's been running just like new. Lexus/Toyota make reliable vehicles. I remember in my past Sears, Circuit City tried their best to convince me to buy a warranty on Sony, etc. products. I always refused and told them hey if it breaks I will new buy this brand anymore. So far it has worked for me. Rest is up to you.
Old 06-02-21, 12:33 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Should you buy an extended warranty? Ask yourself this: how often do you have a repair that is (or would have been) covered by a warranty that costs as much as the warranty premium? Extended warranties are like Vegas odds - in the long run, the house always wins. If you've had a string of bad luck, and it gives you peace of mind, go ahead and do it. But the long game odds are that you will pay more for the warranty than you will get out of it.
Exactly. This is built right Into the whole idea and reason its sold...odds are the house wins. ES350 may be in the top 5 most reliable cars on the road. If you argue that...then top 10 maybe. I see 15 year old ESs every single day.
I say it's it's easy pass, put the money towards a road trip in the ES and just drive it.
Old 06-02-21, 12:37 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
There is no reason to get a extended warranty on any other Lexus or Toyota or Acura/Honda, possibly a LX if it has air suspension. Extended warranties are for European cars.
I would disagree with absolutes like this. Lexus/Toyota still holds the reliability crown, but all that means is that you are less likely to encounter reliability issues with a Lexus/Toyota. The opposite is true for European cars - the perception is that you are more likely to make use of the extended warranty if you own a European car, but I know a few VW/BMW owners who have never had to use their warranty at all.

I approach extended warranties as putting a price on your own peace of mind. If you aren't sure about the reliability of a car, in this day and age you'd do some research on the car, and if you felt comfortable rolling the dice (like with a Lexus/Toyota product), you probably wouldn't buy an extended warranty. If you weren't convinced of the reliability due to reputation, lack of experience with the brand, buying the first MY of a new model, etc., then an extended warranty can provide some peace of mind during your ownership.

OP, if you do decide to pursue an extended warranty, I would echo what other members have suggested and shop around for it online. Any dealership can sell you an extended warranty over the phone, so it would be in your best interest to contact multiple dealers and negotiate the price as aggressively as you can. You can probably negotiate up to 50% off (possibly more) of the starting price of any given extended warranty. The warranty is a big profit generator so there's typically a lot of room for them to move on price.
Old 06-02-21, 01:51 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Then no, a extended warranty is totally pointless, it is a proven design and most parts are pretty cheap, shared with many other cars.
Old 06-03-21, 06:44 AM
vskaplan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you one and all!!!!
Old 06-03-21, 10:18 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 729 Likes on 457 Posts

Thank you one and all!!!!
vskaplan, just remember this, as any car ages the likelihood of a potentially expensive repair goes up and the only person paying for the repair is you. So go with your own intuition. Remember even the most reliable marques can and do produce the occasional lemon, and conversely you’ll find examples of statistically unreliable vehicles beating expectations. For example, I’ve had good experiences with Range Rovers and Jaguars, but the data would tend to predict otherwise. Major mechanical and major electrical issues on a Lexus may be less likely, but if they occur they could cost as much or more than the warranty. If you can indeed get one at a discount, one incident could make you a net beneficiary. You’re rolling the dice with any car frankly, and it all depends on your own personal appetite and tolerance for risk.