Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

new car prices are up through the roof

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-21, 10:20 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default new car prices are up through the roof

went to check out Tacoma TRD Sport and Honda Odyssey this past weekend. it's definitely a seller's market now with the chip shortage. Local Toyota dealer is charging $3k markup on Tacoma TRD Sport and they only have 2 on the lot. The Honda dealer next door does not charge markup for 2021 Odyssey (which is one year away from being totally redesigned), but they do force you to pay the $1500 worth of dealer add-ons, no other way around it. Keep in mind these two specific vehicles are long in the tooth, I can't imagine how much markup they will charge on a new Sienna.
Old 06-01-21, 10:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe less people will be able to afford cars and traffics reduce.
Old 06-01-21, 10:26 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

Everything is ridiculous right now. It's almost guaranteed that if you own something right now, it's likely it'll fetch a lot more than it did previously. I was planning on being in the market near the end of the year, which supposedly is when we should start seeing vehicle prices back to normal... But, I really don't think that'll be the case now.
Old 06-01-21, 10:54 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmon
Everything is ridiculous right now. It's almost guaranteed that if you own something right now, it's likely it'll fetch a lot more than it did previously. I was planning on being in the market near the end of the year, which supposedly is when we should start seeing vehicle prices back to normal... But, I really don't think that'll be the case now.
Agreed, I think we are in an asset price bubble, I'm fearful of the impending recession caused by it and inflation.
Old 06-01-21, 11:09 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 694 Likes on 436 Posts

For all the (IMO usually unjustified) criticism Tesla gets on here, this is one time where their direct sales model absolutely works to the customer’s advantage. No one is paying ADM on a new Tesla, everyone paid MSRP before, during and after COVID, plus if you’re trading or selling a vehicle you still get to take advantage of the bubble in used car valuations.
Old 06-01-21, 11:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If prices are going through the roof, this might be the time to get a convertible LOL.

(Just Kidding)

Old 06-01-21, 12:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
For all the (IMO usually unjustified) criticism Tesla gets on here, this is one time where their direct sales model absolutely works to the customer’s advantage. No one is paying ADM on a new Tesla, everyone paid MSRP before, during and after COVID, plus if you’re trading or selling a vehicle you still get to take advantage of the bubble in used car valuations.
no ADM, tesla just raises prices every other month.
Old 06-01-21, 12:15 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Its because component prices are going up. Tesla has also lowered prices when they had extra margin from their increasing scale. At least this is transparent and the price is fixed and non-negotiable vs. dealing with stealerships.
Old 06-01-21, 12:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Tesla reduced then increased their prices 20ish times in 2019 or 2020. When demand softens, you cut prices. Not at all surprised that prices are going up. It’s too bad Tesla doesn’t have franchise dealers, the prices would be better for the consumer

There should no surprise whatsoever that a Tacoma is selling for more than MSRP.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-01-21 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-01-21, 01:40 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i agree on Tesla. unfortunately we already have one in household and we're looking for a non-EV so we can take the kids offroading and long trips without worrying about charging stations. Tesla increases $1k every 3-4 months or so, that's a lot better to swallow than dealers marking up otherwise volume sellers $5k or so.
Old 06-01-21, 02:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i\Tesla increases $1k every 3-4 months or so, that's a lot better to swallow than dealers marking up otherwise volume sellers $5k or so.
I just looked at Tesla near me 200km. None in stock. If I wanted a model Y, it’s 2-13 weeks. When I ordered my 21 4R, I had to wait more than 12 weeks, my discount was $3400. I guess you could wait for a Tacoma to come in stock. When demand is so low, the prices are gonna hit or exceed MSRP. If you are a good customer, a good dealer should not charge more than MSRP.

A TRD Pro Tacoma is in super high demand.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-01-21 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-01-21, 02:22 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

They are also reducing car features and charging more.

It will be funny to watch the cult explain this one.
Old 06-01-21, 06:58 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 434 Posts

Property has really increased as well as you know.....Our place has over tripled.....Buy online, but your paying msrp, but there are no dealer mark ups....I for wouldn't buy either of those vehicles w/ mark ups or dealer add on's.....
Old 06-01-21, 10:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
Property has really increased as well as you know.....Our place has over tripled.....
tripled? in what time frame?
Old 06-01-21, 11:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

It's regional. The high competing cities seem to be more level with car pricing.

Quick Reply: new car prices are up through the roof