Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars You Regret NOT Buying

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-21, 09:36 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Definitely GS400 or GS430 (2001), didn't have the budget in my early 20s, ended up getting a new 08 GS350, always regretted never owning a 2nd GS, my favorite of all time. If I had the room, I would love to get a GS430 and hold on to it. I'm afraid the same may happen with the GSF, my GS350 lease is up in a few months and may go LS500. GS430 and GSF are my dream cars when they came out!
Old 06-01-21, 09:59 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

When I was younger I had the opportunity to trade my Eclipse for a Subaru SVX but turned it down.

I almost bought a 300ZXtt but again just kept kept my Eclipse.

I would have liked a last gen Acura Legend coupe too if I could have found one in my price range when I was younger.

Those are the only 2 or 3 I could afford at the time when I was in college, I really wish I got a Mark4 Supra tt at some time but I could not afford it when I was younger and by the time I could their prices had skyrocketed to ridiculous levels because of Fast and Furious and other reasons and I was not going to spend that kind of money on one.

I wish I would have gotten a 2nd Gen Acura RL, I really like those cars, especially the interiors, the 2nd Gen Infinti M45 I liked too and thought about getting one.

My grandmother saw a beautiful dark grey Jaguar E Type coupe for sale she wanted to buy and basically have me drive her around in it once in a while since she didn't drive, I told my uncle and he talked her out of it, I think she would have loved it though and it would have brought her a lot of happiness being driven around and looking out the window seeing it in her driveway, I would not have minded driving her around in it to do some errands.

Others I liked, wish I tried but know I probably would have regretted due to reliability were a BMW 8 series, Jaguar XK8, 2nd Gen Mercedes CL coupe, first Gen Mercedes CLS, Masserati Gran coupe, Bentley Conti GT, Aston Martin DB9, Smokey Trans Am.

When the 911 R came out I wish I got 1 or 2 and then flipped them because I think they were going for like a million dollars on the used market and in such high demand and I would have made a huge profit but I could not really afford to do that so it was just a fantasy.
Old 06-01-21, 10:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedozz
Definitely GS400 or GS430 (2001), didn't have the budget in my early 20s, ended up getting a new 08 GS350, always regretted never owning a 2nd GS, my favorite of all time. If I had the room, I would love to get a GS430 and hold on to it. I'm afraid the same may happen with the GSF, my GS350 lease is up in a few months and may go LS500. GS430 and GSF are my dream cars when they came out!
I was lucky to get a 2nd Gen GS430 and mostly loved it, still wish I had its V8 in my GS350 even if it might be a little slower in some situations.
Old 06-01-21, 10:17 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought an S2000 during the height of the pandemic last year. Ended up being a great purchase seeing how much more expensive they've gotten since.
Old 06-02-21, 06:10 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

2014-2017 Chevy SS. This was the ultimate sleeper. A true 4-door Camaro/Corvette (and spiritual successor to the E39 M5), that bore a stronger physical resemblance to the Malibu than either of those. But with the 415hp/415lbft LS3 and a six-speed manual, it could really haul. If that wasn't enough, the LSA supercharger (from the CTS-V and Camaro ZL1) was a simple and cheap bolt-on to bring hp up to 560+

It was super comfortable both in front and back seats (even for me at 6'4" in the back), and pretty much everything was standard. Only the moonroof and full-size spare (on an alloy wheel) were optional extras. It was a great value at its sticker price of $44k, but Chevy routinely ran promotions for 20% off towards the end of the run, making it probably the best bargain for a sports sedan...ever.

Nowadays, automatic SS' routinely sell for at or above sticker. Manuals go for WAY over the original sticker--there's one near me with 4,000 miles offered at $65k.
Old 06-02-21, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
2014-2017 Chevy SS..
That was the last of the Australian Holden-sourced GM products to be sold in the U.S....along with the previous Pontiac GTO and G8. There was some talk of doing a Pontiac sport-truck based on the Australian Holden Maloo...but the Pontiac division folded and it never came to fruition. The program could (?) have been transferred to Chevy as a new El Camino, but never was......I guess because of GM's eventual plans to dump Holden (which, like with dumping Opel, IMO was a mistake).

The SS, as I remember it (I did a full-review) was one of the last sedans to come with a real spare tire (you also noted that)...but it was part of a $900 option.

Old 06-02-21, 07:30 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

2014-2017 Chevy SS. This was the ultimate sleeper. A true 4-door Camaro/Corvette (and spiritual successor to the E39 M5), that bore a stronger physical resemblance to the Malibu than either of those. But with the 415hp/415lbft LS3 and a six-speed manual, it could really haul. If that wasn't enough, the LSA supercharger (from the CTS-V and Camaro ZL1) was a simple and cheap bolt-on to bring hp up to 560+

It was super comfortable both in front and back seats (even for me at 6'4" in the back), and pretty much everything was standard. Only the moonroof and full-size spare (on an alloy wheel) were optional extras. It was a great value at its sticker price of $44k, but Chevy routinely ran promotions for 20% off towards the end of the run, making it probably the best bargain for a sports sedan...ever.

Nowadays, automatic SS' routinely sell for at or above sticker. Manuals go for WAY over the original sticker--there's one near me with 4,000 miles offered at $65k.
This!! It was hugely discounted as they ran them out, but now obviously huge premiums. Hemmed and hawed over it. Definitely one of my biggest regrets of not getting new and just hanging on.

Also had the opportunity to buy a mint condition 03 M5 from a carnut co-worker for low $20K's about 10 years ago. Could easily clear over $40K now.

Regret selling our new 2000 Model Year Honda S2000 in Silverstone, but just wasn't good for college needs.

I've been going through my former attainable wish list the past few years. Got the 06 Audi S4 Avant with 6MT. Flipped that with some clean up and just picked up an E46 M3 Convertible.

So maybe in about 15 years I'll find a decently used but good value SS around.
Old 06-02-21, 07:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I have a neighbor who bought an SS and intends to keep it long term and doesn't drive it in the winter. I'm not sure what model year, either a '16 or '17, but he bought it just after it was announced that GM wasn't going to import them any longer. He said at the time when he called the dealer to inquire about the one they had left they offered a $10k discount over the phone before he went it to see/drive it. Not sure what his final price was. When he drives past our house at low speeds the deep V8 rumbling sounds sweet.
Old 06-02-21, 10:08 AM
ashschwin
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

NA1 NSX when I got out of college.....priced aggressively 10 years ago before they were hyped up and their prices became inflated. More recently, missed out on a clean 997.1 911S with 40K miles for $32K back in 2017 and kicking myself for passing on it every time I think about it.
Old 06-02-21, 10:25 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I regret selling my 1970TransAm 4-speed,no A/C bought from the original owner. It was the best maintained Firebird I ever bought of the 9 I owned.

Last edited by Byprodrive; 06-02-21 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-02-21, 12:27 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

In order to avoid joining u guys on the island, I will buy out my 2018 GX lease. It will be a huge regret if I dont.
Old 06-02-21, 04:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've got a number of regrets. Hard to say what the most significant one was, but it might be not getting a Fourth-Generation (1989-1993) Honda Accord when they were brand-new. It was arguably the best-built new regular passenger car I ever test-drove.....everything on it, from my fingertips on the steering wheel, to the tip of the tire treads on the road, had the workmanship and quality of a Swiss Watch, and felt as if it had been fitted/assembled by supercomputers. The only flaws I can remember were somewhat numb power steering and a slight bump in the automatic-transmission shifts.....both common in Hondas of that vintage (later-generation Accords, of course, had weak automatic transmissions). But I know people who owned these 4Gen Accords and put 300K miles on them....particularly with manual transmissions. Little wonder it gained the reputation that it did.

Those cars and other Honda products of the 90s had the best feeling and sounding turn signal stalks in automotive existence, pretty much.

My buddy had a '97 Acura 3.0CL when we were teenagers, I still remember the stalks.
Old 06-02-21, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Those cars and other Honda products of the 90s had the best feeling and sounding turn signal stalks in automotive existence, pretty much.
They also had what was probably the best FWD manual transmissions on the planet.

Honda put a lot of effort on quality in those days......and it showed, particularly with the early-90s-generation Accord.

Old 06-02-21, 06:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I've got a number of regrets. Hard to say what the most significant one was, but it might be not getting a Fourth-Generation (1989-1993) Honda Accord when they were brand-new. It was arguably the best-built new regular passenger car I ever test-drove.....everything on it, from my fingertips on the steering wheel, to the tip of the tire treads on the road, had the workmanship and quality of a Swiss Watch, and felt as if it had been fitted/assembled by supercomputers. The only flaws I can remember were somewhat numb power steering and a slight bump in the automatic-transmission shifts.....both common in Hondas of that vintage (later-generation Accords, of course, had weak automatic transmissions). But I know people who owned these 4Gen Accords and put 300K miles on them....particularly with manual transmissions. Little wonder it gained the reputation that it did.

Nice era. I knew someone who had a Integra. Lovely two door style. Such a great car in 1990
Old 06-02-21, 08:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

They also had what was probably the best FWD manual transmissions on the planet.

Honda put a lot of effort on quality in those days......and it showed, particularly with the early-90s-generation Accord.
I didn't drive until 1998 so didn't drive a lot of these Accords (rode in plenty though) but I did own a 2006 Acura TL 6speed and know the magic of a good Honda gearbox.

The automatic Hondas of that era were lumpy, I know what you mean. Then there was that chirpy Honda start, haha. But indestructible, the whole car was.

My Mom's friend had a green 91ish EX and that car went through so much hell...I remember it.... the stories were ridiculous. It would probably still be running lol but got wrecked, that's what took it out of commission.

Quick Reply: Cars You Regret NOT Buying