Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ultimate sleeper VW bug

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-21, 09:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts
Default Ultimate sleeper VW bug

pretty amazing... i think the owner could be more encouraging and supportive of Nicole, she did great... not an easy car to drive obviously.

Old 06-03-21, 08:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Pretty cool. I thought it was at first a sleeper bug like for camping.
Old 06-04-21, 08:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not an easy car to drive obviously.
Correct. No matter what kind of air-cooled power you have in back, both the Beetle and Corvair, particularly with the earlier swing-axle suspensions, tended to be tail-heavy, unstable, prone to oversteer, and, in extreme cases, tire-tuck-under which could flip the vehicle. Of course, in his case, he did a lot of special work on the chassis, but, in some ways, you still had some unfavorable physics.
Old 06-06-21, 02:58 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 393 Posts

Being an old Volkswagon guy, I found this incredibly entertaining. Nicole seemed a bit in over her head, especially driving, but she's delightful nonetheless! As much as I would love to have a sleeper like this, I wouldn't be happy with the lack of drive-ability due to the crashbox tranny. I would gladly give up some HP for synchro's.

I built a sleeper VW 67 camper van with Gene Berger racing components, however, wasn't aiming for an insane race car like this. I only wanted to keep up with freeway traffic and not be considered "Hitler's revenge" like most VW buses!
Old 06-06-21, 03:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ very cool.

yeah not sure why he didn't put a stick with synchros in there. Maybe it would take up more room?

about the video, while he seemed eager to show her what it could do when he was driving, he seemed absolutely terrified when she was driving.
Old 06-07-21, 12:26 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

yeah not sure why he didn't put a stick with synchros in there. Maybe it would take up more room?
He told the host he could boost the HP higher with the dog box tranny, but the configuration of transaxle/tranny/engine must have been a factor as well, as many high HP vehicles have synchronous transmissions.

about the video, while he seemed eager to show her what it could do when he was driving, he seemed absolutely terrified when she was driving.
The owner looked like he scared himself too a few times when the bug hopped into the oncoming lane upon hard acceleration (again a drive-ability issue). Seeing how difficult it was for him to drive, one can imagine how he felt putting the wheel in the hands of someone inexperienced with this kind of power-to-weight ratio.
Old 06-07-21, 01:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
He told the host he could boost the HP higher with the dog box tranny, but the configuration of transaxle/tranny/engine must have been a factor as well, as many high HP vehicles have synchronous transmissions.
The owner looked like he scared himself too a few times when the bug hopped into the oncoming lane upon hard acceleration (again a drive-ability issue). Seeing how difficult it was for him to drive, one can imagine how he felt putting the wheel in the hands of someone inexperienced with this kind of power-to-weight ratio.
ultimately i think it's a pretty terrible car but quite the engineering feat.

i just watched her video on the guy obsessed with mini's - it was awesome.
Old 06-08-21, 12:41 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Being an old Volkswagon guy, I found this incredibly entertaining. Nicole seemed a bit in over her head, especially driving, but she's delightful nonetheless! As much as I would love to have a sleeper like this, I wouldn't be happy with the lack of drive-ability due to the crashbox tranny. I would gladly give up some HP for synchro's.

I built a sleeper VW 67 camper van with Gene Berger racing components, however, wasn't aiming for an insane race car like this. I only wanted to keep up with freeway traffic and not be considered "Hitler's revenge" like most VW buses!
I worked at the shop next door to Gene Berg's shop in Orange CA. for 2 years.
Old 06-08-21, 02:10 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I worked at the shop next door to Gene Berg's shop in Orange CA. for 2 years.
Cool! I lived off Ball Rd., near the 57 at the time (1984), so was just 5-10 minutes from his shop. This made the engine build easy, as opposed to people all over the world who use Gene Berg parts and machining, but have to ship parts back and forth.