Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

press release on CL65 and S65

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-03, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default press release on CL65 and S65

(copy it over from another forum, not sure about the source though)

Mercedes-Benz CL 65 AMG and S 65 AMG: 450 kW/612 hp and 1000 Nm of torque make themthe most powerful models ever produced by AMG

The new CL 65 AMG and S 65 AMG from Mercedes-AMG GmbH are the most powerful models the brand has produced since it was established 35 years ago. The exclusive Gran Turismo and the dynamic luxury saloon are powered by a newly designed 6-litre V12 engine whose biturbo technology gives it a level of performance previously unheard of in this engine size class: the twelve-cylinder AMG power plant has an output of 450 kW/612 hp and develops its maximum torque of 1000 newton metres between 2000 and 4000 rpm. These impressive figures are responsible for a new dimension of performance: both vehicles can accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 4.4 seconds and on to an electronically limited top speed of 250 km/h.

Much of the credit for this impressive performance is shared by the all-new design of the biturbo system, which features larger turbochargers and a new, more powerful charge-air cooling system, and the increase in the engine displacement (to 5980 cc) as well as many other engine design measures.

AMG SPEEDSHIFT five-speed automatic transmission with steering-wheel controls

Power is transmitted by the AMG SPEEDSHIFT five-speed automatic transmission with steering-wheel gearshift controls. The engine's high maximum torque level of 1200 newton metres has been limited electronically to 1000 newton metres and an number of measures  including the adoption of newly clutch pack discs with a high-quality metal coating as well as modified shift and torque-converter-lockup logic  have been taken to optimise key transmission components. The modified drive shafts and upgraded hub carriers also reflect the high levels of power and torque available.

Active Body Control with sports suspension, eight-piston composite brake system

The CL 65 AMG and S 65 AMG are equipped as standard with Active Body Control (ABC) and special AMG spring struts with firmer damping. Fully reworked dynamic handling control systems such as ABS, Brake Assist, ASR and ESP® (Electronic Stability Program) complement the enhanced chassis setup. In order to cope with the high power output of the AMG biturbo engine, the front wheels of both the AMG V12 top models are equipped with a newly developed, high-performance eight-piston composite brake system with 390 x 36 mm grey cast-iron discs and aluminium brake-disc bowls. Contact with the road is taken care of by AMG 19-inch twin-spoke wheels equipped with 245/40 ZR 19 tyres at the front and 275/35 ZR 19 tyres at the rear.

AMG Styling and exclusive nappa leather appointments as standard

The CL 65 AMG and the S 65 AMG feature the distinctive, powerful looks of AMG styling, which is standard on both vehicles. The front and rear aprons as well as the side skirts blend harmoniously with the timelessly elegant design of the Mercedes models. The chromed "V12 Biturbo" lettering on the front wings indicates the exceptional dynamic qualities of these vehicles, while the two chrome-finished twin tailpipes of the AMG sports exhaust system at a sporty touch at the rear.

Inside, a particularly stylish ambience is created by the extensive use of fine wood trim elements and the "Exclusive nappa" leather upholstery, which is available in three colours. Electrically adjustable AMG sports seats with the exclusive AMG upholstery piping layout and perforation pattern, optimised lateral support, multi-contour and memory functions as well as seat heating make every journey in the CL 65 AMG a delight, whether it involves twisting country roads or long-distance motorway cruising. The S 65 AMG has dynamic multicontour front seats which are electrically adjustable and feature a memory function and seat heating as well as the characteristic AMG upholstery piping and perforation pattern. The distinctive style of the twelve-cylinder flagship models is rounded off by the AMG instrument cluster calibrated up to 360 km/h, the AMG ergonomic steering wheel with gearshift buttons, and the chromed stainless-steel door sills featuring the AMG logo.

The standard equipment of the S 65 AMG also includes the PRE-SAFE anticipatory occupant protection system which can recognise a potential accident situation early enough to take appropriate measures to prepare the occupants and the vehicle. The CL 65 AMG and S 65 AMG will be making their debut in the showrooms of Mercedes-Benz sales and service outlets and dealerships in December 2003.
Old 09-25-03, 11:55 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incredible..... AMG has way too much time on their hands... Can someone get these guys a job at Lexus please!!! 8 piston big brakes... nuff said!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-03, 12:10 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

AMG is CRAZY

They just upgraded the S55 and CL55 for 2003 by giving them almost 500hp. Now they will have 612 hp for next
year. Damn i gotta get me more $$$ to buy one of these monsters.

MB AMG has just raised the bar again. When will Lexus respond with a GS that has 600hp???

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-26-03 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-26-03, 04:23 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally posted by RNM GS3
AMG is CRAZY

They just upgraded the S55 and CL55 for 2003 by giving them almost 500hp. Now they will have 612 hp for next

MB AMG has just raised the bar again. When will Lexus respond with a GS that has 600hp???
What exactly is the point of 600HP in a car meant to be driven on regular roads by regular people? Does not make sense to me at all............

But I still want one!!!! Extremes of HP ratings or just extreme cars are attractive simply because of that - they are extreme in certain respects - luxury, power, handling etc. This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that we will very rarely fully exploit the real potentials of such cars................

A redesigned 2005 GS with a V8 5.5 Liter Supercharged engine (similar to the 2003 E55 AMG) putting out 500 + HP would be the ultimate car.................

COME ON LEXUS, MAKE OUR DREAMS COME TRUE!!!!
Old 09-26-03, 09:21 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RNM GS3
AMG is CRAZY

Never.

There's not a market for a GS like that (ther'es barely a market for a Benz like this), but MB can pull it off because they have 9 different body styles with multiple trim levels for each (look at the C and how many shapes it has taken). The only real Lexus that is marketed as specifically sporty is the IS and there's no way the 30K range IS will ever be able to compete with the big dogs like AMG. If more CAR models were added to the Lexus line up I think there could be a hope for a high performance division, but Lexus sees that over half of their sales are in SUVs so there really is no point for them to go the high performance route. Look at the ads, the websites, and the commercials for Lexus and compare them to those of BMW and MB, and you will see that Lexus is looking more and more like the old man car every day. All I know is when I'm old, and make my first mill, it will be spent on an AMG model and not on an old man Lex.

James
Old 09-26-03, 09:43 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default All I can say is..

DAMN!!
Old 09-26-03, 11:53 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All that spec and worse reliability than Chevy. A dream come true.
Old 09-26-03, 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed
What exactly is the point of 600HP in a car meant to be driven on regular roads by regular people? Does not make sense to me at all............

But I still want one!!!! Extremes of HP ratings or just extreme cars are attractive simply because of that - they are extreme in certain respects - luxury, power, handling etc. This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that we will very rarely fully exploit the real potentials of such cars................

A redesigned 2005 GS with a V8 5.5 Liter Supercharged engine (similar to the 2003 E55 AMG) putting out 500 + HP would be the ultimate car.................

COME ON LEXUS, MAKE OUR DREAMS COME TRUE!!!!
i agree about the hp, but the tq and the v12 is something though. just imagine how smooth the ride would be. any time you want to pick up at any speed, just tap the gas and you are off
Old 09-26-03, 02:34 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read this and think, why not spend those R&D hours in the Quality Dept rather then making more HP.
Old 09-27-03, 11:05 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess exclusivity has its price.....

AMG is filling a need in the marketplace...you guys remember that!!
Old 09-28-03, 12:25 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Alright............gotta pick one up this weekend