Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Sienna vs 2022 Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-21 | 11:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You say that until you’ve had a vehicle of your own you can haul big stuff in. It’s really nice to be able to just jump in your car and go pick up a big TV or an appliance or something when you need/want it vs having to wait for it to be delivered or something.
Those delivery services exist for a reason. Getting a room-size TV or large appliance home from Best-Buy in the vehicle is one thing....assuming your back and legs can hold up getting it loaded. Getting it unloaded and in the house, particularly up a series of stairs (and the old TV or appliance out) with that bad back or legs is quite another. That's one of the things that keeps Chiropractors and Orthopedic Surgeons in business.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-26-21 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-26-21 | 11:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Those delivery services exist for a reason. Getting a 50-inch TV home or large appliance from Best-Buy in the vehicle is one thing.
I’d rather just use the free delivery from Costco
Old 06-26-21 | 11:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I’d rather just use the free delivery from Costco

Now you're talking ....although, from what I understand, Costco isn't free.....there's an Annual-Fee. They have to make their money some way.
Old 06-26-21 | 11:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Now you're talking ....although, from what I understand, Costco isn't free.....there's an Annual-Fee. They have to make their money some way.
Well for fun! I just looked up Best Buy and a TV has free shipping.
Old 06-26-21 | 11:36 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Problem with free delivery is you have to wait and figure out how it fits into your schedule and theirs. For something like a nice big tv, I want that now so bringing it home now would be awesome.
Old 06-26-21 | 11:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Problem with free delivery is you have to wait and figure out how it fits into your schedule and theirs. For something like a nice big tv, I want that now so bringing it home now would be awesome.
It has never been a problem for me. I have more important things to do than go to Costco to pick up a TV…
Old 06-26-21 | 12:41 PM
1111GS

It has never been a problem for me. I have more important things to do than go to Costco to pick up a TV…
Or my back is too expensive for it. Seriously though, I can understand the "now effect" but TVs can wait and if we're talking about big screens you need another person to help you with that big screen TV too. Even they are much lighter now, I wouldn't mess with those myself esp. when I want to hang it. Sure someone will say he could do it but I'm not gonna risk my back for it. Now that we're off to a different direction, which TV size would only fit a van but not an suv?
Old 06-26-21 | 01:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Now that we're off to a different direction, which TV size would only fit a van but not an suv?
I would say anything 65" or larger would fit in a van but not an SUV. The issue is the cargo area is much taller in a van. The point though is the depth of the cargo area with the Sienna's lack of removable seats
Old 06-26-21 | 01:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
iThe point though is the depth of the cargo area with the Sienna's lack of removable seats
I am sure Sienna owners can afford delivery…plus, how often do you think people buy televisions that don’t fit in Sienna”s that they actually NEED removable seats?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-26-21 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-26-21 | 01:33 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I am sure Sienna owners can afford delivery…plus, how often do you think people buy televisions that don’t fit in Sienna”s that they actually NEED removable seats?
Or a table or a mattress or lumber for home projects. Non removable 2nd row would be a deal breaker for me and this coming from an actual minivan owner.
Old 06-26-21 | 01:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Or my back is too expensive for it. Seriously though, I can understand the "now effect" but TVs can wait and if we're talking about big screens you need another person to help you with that big screen TV too. Even they are much lighter now, I wouldn't mess with those myself esp. when I want to hang it. Sure someone will say he could do it but I'm not gonna risk my back for it. Now that we're off to a different direction, which TV size would only fit a van but not an suv?
How often do you buy a new TV? I guess one could argue that you could rent a uHaul for the day and get that TV

Originally Posted by EZZ
Or a table or a mattress or lumber for home projects. Non removable 2nd row would be a deal breaker for me and this coming from an actual minivan owner.
How often does a minivan owner bring home a mattress?

free delivery …. It all works out in the end

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-26-21 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-26-21 | 02:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Like I said, go on minivan forums...there are absolutely people who have crossed the Sienna off of their list for this very reason. There is just no good reason to create a design that has an insurmountable obstacle for buyers in its segment.

The whole point of buying a minivan is versatility and adaptability of people hauling and cargo hauling. This design is just dumb. Just because you don't see the issue (and aren't a minivan buyer, by the way) doesnt mean its not an issue.

If you're running around renting uHauls and renting larger vehicles, why not just drive a sedan?
Old 06-26-21 | 03:06 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

How often do you buy a new TV? I guess one could argue that you could rent a uHaul for the day and get that TVHow often does a minivan owner bring home a mattress?

free delivery …. It all works out in the end
Or dispose of a mattress. Or what about bringing home large objects for home projects. Again, why would I want a less useful minivan?
Old 06-26-21 | 03:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Or dispose of a mattress. Or what about bringing home large objects for home projects. Again, why would I want a less useful minivan?
Why would you want a less fuel efficient minivan or one that is less capable with missing awd? It’s a trade off with the four minivans in the segment. Some have pros and some have cons. Overall cargo of the Sienna is not a #1 strength but fuel efficiency, fit and finish, materials, styling, as well as awd across all trim levels is a big advantage.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-26-21 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-26-21 | 03:56 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Why would you want a less fuel efficient minivan or one that is less capable with missing awd? It’s a trade off with the four minivans in the segment. Some have pros and some have cons. Overall cargo of the Sienna is not a #1 strength but fuel efficiency, fit and finish, materials, styling, as well as awd across all trim levels is a big advantage.
Yes but to some, the 2nd row removal is a big deal per Steve's argument. I'm one of those that couldn't consider the Sienna for that alone.

Quick Reply: 2021 Sienna vs 2022 Odyssey