Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Kia Sportage

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-21, 08:07 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2023 Kia Sportage

Details and specs were hard to come by when the next-generation 2023 Kia Sportage was revealed last month. We got to see what it looked like inside and out, but today we get to learn much more about Kia’s redesigned crossover.

For starters, Kia provided powertrain details. We know that the base engine is going to be a 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder. Power is listed at 178 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque in Kia’s global-facing news release. However, final U.S. details could see it match the Kia K5’s (the two share engines) output of 180 horsepower, assuming there are no changes to the 1.6-turbo between the two models. Shifting is handled via a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic. Other markets get a manual and a separate diesel option, but neither of those are likely U.S.-bound.

What are likely to come here are the two hybrid models Kia teased out today. Both a standard hybrid and plug-in hybrid model are on the way, but Kia isn’t yet ready to talk about them. We suspect the new Tucson hybrid models will be similar or identical, but Kia hasn’t confirmed that yet.

Kia is also talking chassis and handling today. This Sportage debuts a new electronically-controlled suspension with continuously adaptive dampers for Kia. Plus, hybrid models adopt the Hyundai Group’s trick E-Handling system that applies torque or braking force to individual wheels in corners to improve turn-in or help accelerate and pull you around a corner.

There’s also a new Terrain Mode designed for those times you might hit the trails or handle some light off-roading. Kia says the Sportage can automatically detect what kind of terrain you’re on, then adjust the car’s settings to best fit the conditions. An X-Line trim adds off-road appearance items and unique colors (a green interior) to make it appear more rugged. That said, Kia does say the Sportage’s purpose is to be an “urban SUV,” not an off-roader. To embrace the on-road character, Kia is offering a GT Line model that’ll use a two-tone exterior color theme and a two-tone interior with sportier looks.

A few size specs were provided for comparisons. We know the new Sportage will measure 183 inches in total length. That’s just over six inches longer than the outgoing model. Meanwhile, Kia also quotes a rear legroom of 41.3 inches and headroom of 39.4 inches. Those numbers compare quite favorably to the competition. The Honda CR-V comes closest to matching it in rear legroom, but even it falls short to the Sportage. We’ll refrain from making cargo capacity comparisons for the time being, just because the method of measurements changes depending on the market/method, and Kia hasn’t released U.S. figures yet.

Kia says even more details will be available for the new Sportage when it launches globally later this year.
Source
Old 07-06-21, 10:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

so tryiing to keep track of the hyundai/kia uv model parallels is this about right?

kona = niro
venue = seltos
tucson = sportage
santa fe = sorrento
palisade = telluride

Old 07-27-21, 09:45 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

The screens just keep getting bigger and bigger.

I guess new cars just aren't for me.

Seriously, what am I going to do 20 years from now?
Old 07-28-21, 08:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz

A valid point. This is what a number of us might be looking at..................

Old 07-28-21, 08:45 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Have you seen Wall-E? That is our future, sedentary blobs being fed nutrients and brainwashing entertainment.
Old 07-28-21, 09:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Looks good!
Old 07-28-21, 09:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Overall looks really nice! Both exterior and interior. The signature "boomerang" style day-time-running light is finally growing on me - especially the one on this car.
Old 07-28-21, 10:52 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Very nice styling. I will be interested to see the plug-in hybrid specs and the pricing. I have to wonder what the availability will be based on what I have seen for the Toyota Rav4 Prime. They are unavailable in the State of Florida at this time. Toyota plays the CARB state game, don't know if KIA does.
Old 07-28-21, 11:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Have you seen Wall-E? That is our future, sedentary blobs being fed nutrients and brainwashing entertainment.
something we agree on.

xjokerz - take an uber.
and soon, a driverless one.
Old 07-28-21, 02:03 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The screens just keep getting bigger and bigger.

I like the interior.

No issue for me on the the bigger screen. I'm loving it. I think you will get used to it just fine, just as we get used from dial pad cellphones to touchscreen smartphones.
Old 07-28-21, 02:08 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What do you mean "future"?
Old 07-28-21, 11:08 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Not bad at all. Rear valance is particularly well done. Front styling is questionable, but confident it's something one will get used to pretty quickly.
The whole shabang should sell well.

Old 07-29-21, 08:31 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I know its a glamour shot and all, but that interior looks like it punches way above its weight class. I'd argue it looks higher quality than some Lexus interiors.
Old 07-29-21, 11:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Exterior is ok I don't like the lower bumper where the exhausts would. Lovely blue and white interior. WAY too much screen and the HVAC buttons look too small.

At least KIA finally figured out how to make the new KIA logo look good. (no background bezel)
Old 07-29-21, 11:39 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I assume when they say "will launch globally later this year," that includes the U.S.? If so, how can it be called a 2023? Has to go on sale after Jan. 1st, 2022 in order to be called a 2023.

Quick Reply: 2023 Kia Sportage