Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Armor All Brake Dust repellent is LEGIT

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-21 | 03:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It too bad you have to do this. However, glad you found a sound solution. I do wonder if Mercedes does this on purpose for service reasons as a brake service might be required or something. I wonder if the discs and Callipers are dirty inside.
Its just the makeup of the pad material they use, I'm sure the drilled rotors don't help. It dusted just as bad when they were brand new. The whole inside of the wheel, calibers and all get really dirty too.

Got the car washed this afternoon, we'll see how it survives a wash.
Old 07-06-21 | 04:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its just the makeup of the pad material they use, I'm sure the drilled rotors don't help. It dusted just as bad when they were brand new. The whole inside of the wheel, calibers and all get really dirty too.

Got the car washed this afternoon, we'll see how it survives a wash.
Its very soft brake pads? Helps with stopping but gets dusty?
Old 07-06-21 | 04:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Its just the makeup of the pad material they use,
A number of different factors come into play in the amount of dust you will get from brakes, but, in general, the more dust, the better the (potential) braking effectiveness you will get, because that shows you are getting more friction (and more stopping power) between the pads and rotors. German sedans, of course, particularly sport-sedans, are well-known for effective brakes...but also a fair amount of dust.
Old 07-06-21 | 05:13 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

I tried this product on our Macan after that same thread. Pretty impressive so far! Like the OP, I could probably do a better job applying next time.

The Macan is coming up on another car wash so I am trying to decide what I’ll do with the wheels since it says not to rub them.

Gotta love European brakes for their stopping power. If this product continues to impress, it takes away the downside.
Old 07-06-21 | 05:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So it does say that it will survive a carwash. Although its so easy to apply I may just do it every wash. Makes the wheels look nice and glossy too.
Old 07-06-21 | 05:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Its very soft brake pads? Helps with stopping but gets dusty?
Soft, semi-metallic pads.
Old 07-06-21 | 05:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Not to sound like a "misogynist", but you probably don't let your wife drive your car. My wife curbs the living hell out of the wheels every time she parks, so when she first does it to a new car I yell at her, but on a bright side I stop caring shortly after, so brake dust doesn't even bother me.

Before I gave my M2 to my daughter, I let my wife drive it once, and sure enough she came back with a tiny curb rash on the passenger front wheel. I told her if she ever touches it again, her next car would be a minivan.
Old 07-06-21 | 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
My wife curbs the living hell out of the wheels every time she parks,
That's what 360-cameras are for....to show you how close you are to any of the curbs all around the car. I love the one I have on my Encore GX....although GM is known for having one of the clearest-images of any 360-camera system in the industry.
Old 07-06-21 | 05:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Not to sound like a "misogynist", but you probably don't let your wife drive your car. My wife curbs the living hell out of the wheels every time she parks, so when she first does it to a new car I yell at her, but on a bright side I stop caring shortly after, so brake dust doesn't even bother me.

Before I gave my M2 to my daughter, I let my wife drive it once, and sure enough she came back with a tiny curb rash on the passenger front wheel. I told her if she ever touches it again, her next car would be a minivan.
My wife is actually a pretty good driver, but yeah I would be worried about her curbing wheels. Her main issue is she uses all the cameras and 360 cameras etc instead of using mirrors. You just can't be as precise along a curb or something without using your mirrors.
Old 07-06-21 | 06:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's what 360-cameras are for....to show you how close you are to any of the curbs all around the car. I love the one I have on my Encore GX....although GM is known for having one of the clearest-images of any 360-camera system in the industry.
My wife is actually a pretty good driver, but yeah I would be worried about her curbing wheels. Her main issue is she uses all the cameras and 360 cameras etc instead of using mirrors. You just can't be as precise along a curb or something without using your mirrors.
Those cameras sometimes do more bad than good, and my wife's worst habit is pulling forward into parking space. Recipe for destroying wheels.
Old 07-06-21 | 07:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep my wife does the same thing. She’s also not used to having a car with a low front skirt and I worry about her chinning parking curbs
Old 07-06-21 | 07:42 PM
GS3Tek

Forget brake dust repellent, you guys need some spray-on curb rash and chin parking curbage repellents

Glad to hear it works well, I'm sold on your infomercial
Old 07-06-21 | 07:53 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

This product has been out for a while and how did I never hear about it until that previous thread and this one? I’m usually a doubter when you hear claims like this brake dust repellant but after seeing this review and a few more on YouTube I am sold.

I looked and Amazon has it for $27 but from searching they used to be under $10 a can but like everything else, prices went up. A little steep but if it keeps my wheels clean I don’t care.
Old 07-06-21 | 07:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well worth $27!

Its the sort of thing that I never would have expected would work
Old 07-07-21 | 05:31 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Well worth $27!

Its the sort of thing that I never would have expected would work
It seems too good to be true! Great find!

Any idea if it does any damage to clear coat? I had my wheels clear coated when I had them refinished recently and even though my car hardly produces any brake dust (most braking is regen), after about 200 miles or so there is a faint hint of brake dust on the wheels that only I notice and that's because I use a microfiber cloth to wipe it off, otherwise its not noticeable at all. It would be nice if there was nothing at all that's why I'm wondering if it harms clear coat or not.

Edit: Never mind my question above - just noticed this review on Amazon specifically about this and apparently if your wheels are not silver (mine aren't), then its not recommended either as it leaves streaks:

Amazon Amazon

This product (mostly) does what it advertises. It keeps a good chunk of brake dust off of my clear coated rims. But long term use of this product will lead to a build-up of a film that's all but impossible to remove.

After a year of regular use, I attempted to detail my rims and noticed a matte, tacky film build-up. After trying multiple products and multiple washes, I ended up needing to use a mild abrasive to truly clean the rims. Specifically, Meguiar's Water Spot Remover, which has plastic beads in the chemical that can gently remove this gunk.

I'm not saying this product doesn't do what it's supposed to do. But rather, you should really understand the long term consequences of using this repellant before buying.

Not for black wheels. This applies easily enough. I cleaned the wheels. Wiped them down. Put a degreaser on to remove any possible wax then washed them again. Once they were all dry, I sprayed the product on. After drying a few hours, it left blueish white streaks. I would not recommend this for any wheels unless they were already a blueish white color.

Last edited by Hameed; 07-07-21 at 05:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Armor All Brake Dust repellent is LEGIT