Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 BMW 5 Series

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-24, 12:07 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It's only been 4 years, but I haven't heard any horror stories about Ford's implementation yet, and there have been a LOT of Coyotes sold in that timeframe. Every GM variant--including DFM, the current iteration--was replete with failures within months of launch. It seems like Ford might have gotten it right.

It can always be coded out, is automatically coded out if you add a supercharger (which of course you should do. ), and disabled temporarily in either sport or tow/haul mode. Even when enabled, it only operates during high speed low-throttle cruising.

I don't know enough about CD in the B58 yet to have formed an opinion yet.

Yeah so far it seems to be okay. I believe they have a different implementation than the GM and Dodge systems. What worries me is the change to a belt driven oil pump. Reading that that's an engine-out maintenance item.
Old 09-11-24, 01:43 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Yeah so far it seems to be okay. I believe they have a different implementation than the GM and Dodge systems.
Correct. The GM and Dodge systems disable the lifters. Oil pressure through a hole in the side of the lifter activates a latch that decouples the bottom of the lifter from the top. So the bottom moves up and down as normal, but the top is held in place by the pressure from the spring. This is done in alternating order depending on the desired count of cylinders to be deactivated. GM in particular has an additional weird 3-cylinder mode where the firing order changes in a seemingly-haphazard (albeit predictable) pattern to follow the crank around.

Ford's system disables the rocker arms. Two rockers in each head have a "split" rocker arm where the fulcrum (the fixed connection to the head) is controlled by a solenoid. To deactivate a cylinder (it does all 4 at once like the old GM systems), oil pressure causes the piston of the solenoid to retract. So when the cam pushes on the rocker, the end that would normally be fixed is depressed instead of the side that actuates the valves. Release the pressure and the solenoid extends, restoring normal rocker operation.

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
What worries me is the change to a belt driven oil pump. Reading that that's an engine-out maintenance item.
Considering the oil pump gears have historically been major failure item on the Coyote to begin with (and are virtually guaranteed to destroy the engine when they do), I don't see this as a bad change. Either can be replaced with the engine in the car, but both are a pain. Both require removing the timing chains, the belt-driven one also requires removing the oil pan.

You're looking at a >$1500 replacement cost either way, but <fingers crossed> it looks like failures may be less frequent with the belt-driven units, as well as being less catastrophic when they happen, as it doesn't result in shards of metal flowing through the oil passages. That's why nearly every Coyote build I've ever seen includes replacing the oil pump gears with billet units.

Last edited by geko29; 09-11-24 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-11-24, 02:06 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Those belt drive pumps are hell. Massive regression in all the other engines so far, maybe the 5.0 will be spared but I'm not hopeful. It is ford after all lol!