Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can the Lexus UC Give the Brand a Proper Sports Car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 11:01 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Can the Lexus UC Give the Brand a Proper Sports Car?

Can the Lexus UC Give the Brand a Proper Sports Car?
By Brett Foote

A recent rumor suggests that a Lexus version of the Toyota GR 86 is in the works.

Old 07-14-21, 11:21 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

is it going to be a hybrid?
Old 07-14-21, 01:04 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 265 Posts

if there is such a thing in the works i hope it doesn't look like that.
Old 07-14-21, 01:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I still believe this is nothing more than a crazy, unfounded rumor and won't amount to anything. Nothing about this makes sense to me.

Make it a Lexus by adding an additional 9 inches of overhang?

Making it more luxurious is only going to add weight, which goes against the whole point of the GR86/BRZ.

And if they do offer it as a hybrid, plug-in or otherwise, they are again just adding weight and ruining the whole point of the car. I just don't get this.
Old 07-15-21, 02:55 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Interesting. Toyota and Subaru were playing with at least one hybrid prototype of the BRZ/GT86 a few years back which resulted in the Toyota HV Sports concept car.

With a longer wheelbase and Lexus styling this would handle differently than the Subaru and Toyota versions as well as offer a different driving experience with the hybrid FA24 (presumably) engine. I'd like to see them keep the cool H-pattern shifter for interactive fun even though there wouldn't be a clutch pedal in the hybrid edition.

I don't think a true manual transmission would be offered unless the production 6MT GT86 drivetrain were also on offer in the UC. I think it will be Toyota's 86 that keeps the manual transmission option for its second generation while the UC probably won't have it since it would be a brand new model.

Toyota is already committed to every new model other than existing legacy models being hybrid at minimum starting for model year 2026, so while the 2nd generation GT86/GR86, turbo AWD 6-speed M/T Corolla GR/MN and (hopefully) manual Supra will probably be allowed to finish out their regular production runs a little past that date any new Toyota and Lexus models that would be starting production much too close to MY2026 or after it are going to be hybrid.

Still, the 2nd gen 86 6MT and Corolla GR will be available (no idea if the Supra will ever get an off the shelf manual) and this UC, if actually produced, will definitely be a fun model.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-15-21 at 03:02 AM.
Old 07-15-21, 06:20 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm not sure a proper luxury sports car can get away with a relatively weak NA 4cyl engine. Perhaps if they shove the new 2.4t from the new NX in there and not overprice it, then maybe?
Old 07-15-21, 07:47 AM
KahnBB6

If they really do make a Lexus variant of the BRZ/86 platform then it wouldn’t use that Lexus 4cyl turbo. Only variants of Subaru’s FA24 flat four.
Old 07-15-21, 10:41 AM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I still believe this is nothing more than a crazy, unfounded rumor and won't amount to anything. Nothing about this makes sense to me.

Make it a Lexus by adding an additional 9 inches of overhang?

Making it more luxurious is only going to add weight, which goes against the whole point of the GR86/BRZ.

And if they do offer it as a hybrid, plug-in or otherwise, they are again just adding weight and ruining the whole point of the car. I just don't get this.
Exactly. Lexus has more areas to worry about than a small numbers selling coupe. There's nothing to this.
Old 07-15-21, 11:04 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 869 Likes on 655 Posts

Hey, a baby LFA!
Flat 4 vs. nearly flat V10, RWD
$40k vs. $400k
Old 07-15-21, 11:24 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Jezza819
Exactly. Lexus has more areas to worry about than a small numbers selling coupe. There's nothing to this.
They seem to be fine selling all the crossovers and SUVs in their lineup.

The RC coupe is a very heavy car for what it is and hasn’t been selling well. The UC would be a big improvement over that for people who want a true driver-focused Lexus coupe well below the $100k+ price of an LC.

Besides, they already have some R&D into a prototype of this style variant of the platform and it’s another way to use it while they still can.

On the Toyota side the GR86 6MT offers the most pure driving experience in a practical personal car while the lengthened and hybrid Lexus version will give a slightly more luxurious experience while still being very much a driver’s car.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-15-21 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-15-21, 11:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Car & Driver has a good article on the possible Lexus version:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...us-uc-details/

Lexus UC Could Be a More Luxurious Hybrid Version of Toyota GR86

The Japanese luxury brand is rumored to have its own take on the new Toyobaru rear-drive sports cars. If it happens, this is what it might look like.

BY CONNOR HOFFMAN
JUN 25, 2021
BEN SUMMERELL-YOUDE/FOX SYNDICATIONCAR AND DRIVER
  • Japanese website Spyder7 reports that Lexus is working on its own version of the new Subaru BRZ and Toyota GR86 called the UC.
  • It's rumored to use the same 228-hp 2.4-liter flat-four as the new Toyobaru rear-wheel-drive sports cars, but with a hybrid drivetrain making more power.
  • Lexus declined to comment on the existence of the new car, but reports say it could make its debut by the end of the year.
Lexus might have a hybrid version of the recently revealed Toyota GR86 on the way, if rumors from the Japanese website Spyder7are any indication. If this model comes to fruition, the new entry-level luxury rear-wheel-drive sports car would join the RC, RC F, and LC coupes in the Japanese automaker's lineup. It's said to be making its debut by the end of the year, and we'd love to see something like this in the States since many other small luxury coupes have disappeared.

It will reportedly be called the UC for "Urban Coupe," using the same naturally aspirated 2.4-liter flat-four as the new Subaru BRZ and Toyota GR86. In those applications, the four-cylinder engine produces 228 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed manual gearbox is standard, and a six-speed automatic is optional. We think it likely the Lexus would only be available with the automatic. The Lexus is expected to use a hybrid drivetrain with the flat-four in conjunction with an electric motor and battery pack, which should increase power over the BRZ and GR86.
This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.
An alleged spy photo (above) of the car's front end shows a Lexus spindle grille and the same overall shape of the Toyobaru siblings. The UC could be slightly stretched to accommodate the hybrid battery pack. The Subaru BRZ measures 167.9 inches in length. If the photo posted on Twitter does indeed show a prototype for the UC, we can also expect the production car to have other Lexus-specific trim pieces such as more angular lighting elements and larger wheels. The GR86 offers 18-inch wheels.

THE CARS THAT EXIST

2022 Subaru BRZ Gets 228-HP NA Flat-Four

2022 Toyota GR 86 Revealed for U.S. with 228 HPThe UC's interior should also be a step above the BRZ and GR86. The interiors of those two feature 8.0-inch touchscreens and a 7.0-inch digital gauge cluster. The 2022 Lexus NX crossover debuted a new infotainment system for the luxury automaker with a standard 9.8-inch touchscreen and an available 14.0-inch unit. We don't expect the small sports car to get a screen that large, but it could be larger than the other two sports cars' screens.

It's unclear if the Lexus UC will be sold in North America, as entry-level sports cars including the Mercedes-Benz SLC-class have disappeared from luxury automakers' lineups in our market. However, a Lexus spokesperson told Car and Driver that there are "some exciting things coming to Lexus." We sure hope that includes this new Lexus sports car. Look for more information in the coming months.
This content is imported from {embed-name}. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

Old 07-15-21, 11:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,461 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Bogus clickbait websites all feeding off one another for rumors...

if it happens i'll be very surprised.
Old 07-15-21, 11:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Bogus clickbait websites all feeding off one another for rumors...

if it happens i'll be very surprised.

I would't call C&D a clickbait-site (at least now that Brock Yates is gone LOL)....but, I agree, it officially has not gone past the rumor-stage yet.
Old 07-15-21, 11:54 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

As I read previously, this rumor began when someone snapped a pic of an 86/BRZ with a spindle grille and the assumption was then made that Lexus was testing their own version.

I am challenged to view this as anything valid, especially since there are several conversion kits available to put a spindle grille on your 86/BRZ. Someone in my neighborhood drives an FR-S with a very poorly fitting (homemade?) version of a Lexus spindle on it. I'll try to snap a pic next time I see it.

These are from a Google search:

Old 07-15-21, 11:58 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 869 Likes on 655 Posts

Would be cool if they electrified the front wheels as with the Acura NSX so it would be both a hybrid and AWD.