Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got a D4 A8 L

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-21, 01:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts
Default Got a D4 A8 L

My quest for something quick and decently reliable has ended for now with a 2015 A8 L 4.0 with 68k miles. Black on black

Power is nice and it will be getting upgraded RS7 turbos and a tune from APR this month when I have time to take it apart. It's not Lexus quality as far as fit/finish and overall solidity but it's also faster than anything they make. Pros and cons and all that.......

I'm hoping the ownership experience is positive and that it behaves and limits how many issues it has but as of right now everything works as it should. The turbo engine feels kinda strange when using very small amounts of throttle when it changes over from no boost to boost right around 1300-1500 but the overall experience is great.

https://imgur.com/a/2bVikWx

Still keeping the 430 as it's way more trustworthy and smoother lol!
Old 07-15-21, 01:30 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Beautiful car! Congratulations!
Old 07-15-21, 01:31 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice!! S8's have always been an interest of mine. Something about a super sleuth sedan with power.
Old 07-15-21, 01:56 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Congrats, Striker!

I briefly owned an S8 a few years ago. It was my only car in 50 years of driving that would literally break while parked in the garage....
Old 07-15-21, 02:38 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

I love it. A black A8 is a thing of class - assuming it is well-cared-for.

Congrats!
Old 07-15-21, 03:36 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Default U

Originally Posted by TriC
Congrats, Striker!

I briefly owned an S8 a few years ago. It was my only car in 50 years of driving that would literally break while parked in the garage....
Thanks guys!

I hope you had the infamous V10 and not a "normal" one lol, I'm hoping mine doesn't act up much more than blowing the turbos like the 4.0 is apt to.

Here some pictures of the kinda bland but thankfully not white interior

https://imgur.com/a/OzJoP2R

I'm going to have to read up on all the features on this for sure, there is a lot in it.
Old 07-15-21, 06:06 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Well I have everything setup how I like it and can give initial impressions in some of the tech....and other stuff that comes to mind.

Auto start stop was set to default to disabled, I'll never use it since I value my engine.

BSM is not effective as is the case in everything I have driven with it so far, it activates too early and stays on no long enough and has a lesser "window" of detection vs my mirrors/peripheral vision. The sight-lines in the D4 for me are actually damn near perfect and all areas around me are visible and a car behind me in all 3 places seamlessly transitions to the side mirrors and then to my side vision with no dead zone. I like the fact the system is extremely easy to use, adjust, and understand for anyone and is useful for a novice......or in theory if you are extremely tired.

Audio is the base/BOSE system and it is decent and easy to configure but I would have liked more granularity of adjustment vs a 460 or 430 for example. It's not as good as the systems in those cars however but very much still a good one.

Lane keep assist freaked me out on my first 155mph run, thought I lost a wheel bearing or had a control arm fail etc........ absolutely terrifying when you intentionally start to drift to center to stretch it out and it starts doing its own thing. I turned it off completely.

Speed limit alarm is cute, I set it to 120 so I get a nice chime 13ish seconds into a pull from a dead stop. Could be useful for zones where you really don't want to speed since this car can easily pick up 10-15 more MPH than you intend.

Climate control is very loud, it is louder on 8/12 than my 430 is on max. Minor gripe but I got used to the silence of Lexus cars. It works well but is not as accurate in "auto" and I found myself making minor adjustments. Seat climate control is FANTASTIC, I'm very pleased in all respects both front and rear.

Lighting inside and out is very good, I love the ability for customization even if it's kinda gimmicky. Everything is LED and has a nice fade in/out for the interior and the exterior LED matrix is very effective in all modes so far but it was not totally night.....I'm sure it will do well though.

The seats. Wow, these are excellent. The massage function combined with the very powerful heaters actually works and is a legitimate feature. The adjustment range and in particular the ability to control the bolsters is also outstanding. By far my favorite vehicle seats so far, the little menu line item that allows you to control the passenger seat from your side OR just make it match the drivers exactly is bliss for my OCD tendency. Now you literally can just press a button to line them up!

Dynamic cruise and "auto" braking functions are.....severely unimpressive. Once again like when I had a ES250 loaner they missed a bike twice and have issues keeping a consistent distance and are very juddery or exhibit a "stepping" effect with the throttle. Not relaxing or confidence inspiring to use so they are both disabled. I'm trying to now find a way to use just plain speed target type CC but from what I'm reading I may be forced to use the dynamic system.

The HUD doesn't display as much useful info as I would like (for example, gear, RPM, manifold PSI, lateral G, and intake air temp) but the speed readout and nav input is nice.

Speaking of the nav, it's inferior to a phone. As usual. There are somehow no USB ports in this car so I'm still using a charger block, kinda strange if you ask me.

Storage spaces are very small but are still enough.

Exterior glass is far inferior to Lexus, much more distortion and coloration.

Paint is also not on the same level.

Overall quality and solidity of the car is actually not bad, better than what I was expecting in a German car. Not nearly as solid as a 430/460 nor as quiet but still great and well well above any "normal" cars.

My particular car has Goodyear Eagle F1 performance tires......they work excellently but are very harsh and loud. I will likely use them again or something similar from other brands due to the feedback and confidence of taking a 45mph suggested sweeper at 90.

The only things I have found wrong so far is that the drivers seat back has missing lower clips, there are two very minor paint chips, four very minor scratches that won't catch, and it needs to have everything serviced so I know where it stands.

Now the entire reason I went with this car was the driveline and how monstrous it is when lightly modified. In stock form the power is quite good but it's very disconnected in comparison to a NA or super V8 in that if you try and keep it under 1500 and kinda lazily pull away and just cruise the car sometimes brings you into boost with a bit of a jolt. I knew when I went into this the engine would be unrefined but it's not bad and certainly livable, the 4 cyl mode introduces some resonance and harshness but the tune will eliminate that. However even with all my complaining it's still very capable and man force induction is easy mode for power, the car effortlessly hits 100+ and 60 is a joke and that's before anything has been done at all. I'm fully prepared for what this engine/car may require from me but if it's already this nice/fun stock I can't wait for 600hp/650tq.

Totally worth it in my mind for the price of a base Camry, this is a legit Hellcat killer for a crazy cheap price AND you get a flagship interior and tech with the driveline you buy.

Old 07-17-21, 08:10 PM
aabassi
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Well I have everything setup how I like it and can give initial impressions in some of the tech....and other stuff that comes to mind.
Congrats on the new car, and welcome to the Audi family lol. Glad you're enjoying it. Would have loved to own one if it wasn't for the scary reliability haha. Looking forward to hearing how it treats you.
Old 07-17-21, 10:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

One of my favorite sedans in recent times, very very nice. Although I would say the reliability will be a big gamble, as it usually is on used German cars.
Enjoy!

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 07-18-21 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-18-21, 06:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Lane keep assist freaked me out on my first 155mph run, thought I lost a wheel bearing or had a control arm fail etc........ absolutely terrifying when you intentionally start to drift to center to stretch it out and it starts doing its own thing. I turned it off completely.
You just got it and have already been 155mph?
Old 07-18-21, 11:50 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
You just got it and have already been 155mph?
I mean......you have to test it out before buying it to make sure it performs as advertised and doesn't do anything weird lol!

On the drive back I did a limiter run after I was reasonably sure the alignment was good enough to not kill me, on the test drive I only went 120 just to ensure the trans and turbos were working as intended. Keep in mind it only takes it around 7 seconds to hit 100 so 120 is like 9s.......it's a very different experience vs normal cars.

I am hopeful it won't be a constantly breaking car since in my experience with the three German brands Audi is the one that has the least problems once you move up to their bigger/better cars. With what I plan to do with precautionary turbo replacement to the RS7 CHRAs with a larger compressor side and the APR 93 octane tune I should be able to realistically expect about a 3.25-3.5 0-60 and possibly a sub 11 1/4 mile so most Tesla's should be easy to defeat for less than 1/2 the cost!

The only things that are wrong with this car now that I have fully looked it over are....

Downpipes have the infamous 1000/3000 rpm vibrations, easy fix with just putting in superior downpipes. $1000

Active noise cancelation motor mounts are somewhat glitchy, I'm going to disable the displacement on demand system entirely with the tune so it won't be a factor anymore and should smooth the car out. The factory/ manufacture media that extol the virtues of how silently undetectable the system is are just blatant lies. The car is nothing like a 460 in terms of refinement IMO, it would drive me insane if I wanted to have it as quiet/smooth. $790

Front right sway bar link and bushings are toast, easy $40 fix.

Rear right forward most lower control arm is also toast. $50

Drivers seat back is missing the lowermost clip. $0.50

MMI phone adaptor cord was not included, $20

No factory engine oil dipstick, the first S4 dipstick fits perfectly and reads correctly and there is already a tube that's just capped off. $17.65

Every fluid and filter on the vehicle, $1200 in parts. (Ouch)

And that's it for now, really far less then I expected for it being a German flagship and all. I'm also 100% certain now that the first owner was at least some level of enthusiast based on the tires that are in the car and certain settings and where the wear to the suspension is. The car was likely launched hard MANY times to have worn out the rear right this much faster than the other suspension.

Last edited by Striker223; 07-18-21 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-19-21, 06:07 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2013 A8L 4.0T until I sold it Oct of 2020. I LOVED the car and it’s crazy smooth power delivery but I finally lost faith in Audi and decided to leave the family (I also had a 2005 A8L before my 2013). While the car drove great, every known issue that is known to occur according to the Audiworld forums did. 1K/3K vibration, fixed under CPO. PVC valve failure, fixed under CPO. Bushings, fixed under CPO. I drove my 2005 A8L without a warranty for years and it did cost me a small fortune, but I was not going to risk it with the 4.0T. Mainly due to the turbo screen issue that Audi is aware of but will not do a recall for. You probably won’t be affected as you plan on changing out your turbos. For me it was an unnecessary expense on a car that was already fast enough for me.

At the end I still had two issues, one was a failed active motor mount, and the other were some o2 sensors. I decided not to spend any more money fixing it aware of the impending turbo issue so I traded it in. I would never dare try to sell it privately as I was afraid the next owner would hunt me down and kill my family when the turbos blow (and I know they will).

Enjoy the beautiful ride and just keep some spare cash on hand to fix the issues as they pop up.
Old 07-19-21, 07:58 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by theanimala
I had a 2013 A8L 4.0T until I sold it Oct of 2020. I LOVED the car and it’s crazy smooth power delivery but I finally lost faith in Audi and decided to leave the family (I also had a 2005 A8L before my 2013). While the car drove great, every known issue that is known to occur according to the Audiworld forums did. 1K/3K vibration, fixed under CPO. PVC valve failure, fixed under CPO. Bushings, fixed under CPO. I drove my 2005 A8L without a warranty for years and it did cost me a small fortune, but I was not going to risk it with the 4.0T. Mainly due to the turbo screen issue that Audi is aware of but will not do a recall for. You probably won’t be affected as you plan on changing out your turbos. For me it was an unnecessary expense on a car that was already fast enough for me.

At the end I still had two issues, one was a failed active motor mount, and the other were some o2 sensors. I decided not to spend any more money fixing it aware of the impending turbo issue so I traded it in. I would never dare try to sell it privately as I was afraid the next owner would hunt me down and kill my family when the turbos blow (and I know they will).

Enjoy the beautiful ride and just keep some spare cash on hand to fix the issues as they pop up.
Ouch, mine already had the O2s and mounts replaced by the first owner so I'm hoping (praying) when I deactivate the mounts they will just be nice to me an not fail. Sorry to hear yours had all the major issues but at least warranty fixed them....to be honest mine does as well but I knew what I was getting into lol! On the topic of the 1k/3k did they end up replacing the downpipes?

Ill try my best to enjoy it and I'll most certainly keep a fund for it when something happens out of the blue.
Old 07-19-21, 01:18 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch, mine already had the O2s and mounts replaced by the first owner so I'm hoping (praying) when I deactivate the mounts they will just be nice to me an not fail. Sorry to hear yours had all the major issues but at least warranty fixed them....to be honest mine does as well but I knew what I was getting into lol! On the topic of the 1k/3k did they end up replacing the downpipes?

Ill try my best to enjoy it and I'll most certainly keep a fund for it when something happens out of the blue.
For the 1K/3K vibration they did replace the downpipes. What’s funny is they didn’t have any in stock in the US so it took them a few weeks to get them. I had a new Q7 as a loaner that I gladly put 2K miles on while I waited. Ah, the days of driving before Covid…
Old 07-19-21, 01:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by theanimala
For the 1K/3K vibration they did replace the downpipes. What’s funny is they didn’t have any in stock in the US so it took them a few weeks to get them. I had a new Q7 as a loaner that I gladly put 2K miles on while I waited. Ah, the days of driving before Covid…
Interesting, I was hoping the tune would be able to get rid of the issue but it seems I do need to do the hardware swap. Sounds like it took them a while to sort your car out if you had loaner that long!

Quick Reply: Got a D4 A8 L