Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Leather vs. NewLux

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-21 | 09:22 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Leather...All day, Everyday.
Old 07-21-21 | 09:33 AM
joebug
Driver School Candidate

If I had a choice, I would have gone with the leather on my 2021 RX, but I had to step up to the Luxury trim to get that, which was quite an increase in price! I found this to be very odd since Toyota offers leather in the lower trims on the Highlander. I don't know why for $50K+ we cannot get Leather with the Premium package any longer. I love having Leather, I collect Leather jackets and I felt I was getting robbed when I was buying NuLuxe. It does not feel like leather at all, and just knowing I don't have real leather still bothers me, I cannot seem to get over it. This will be my last vehicle with NuLuxe, I hate it only because I know it isn't real and for a $50K+ vehicle LEATHER should have been included!
Sorry Lexus but your decision to put NuLuxe in the Premium package sucks!!!
Summary: I am not pleased with NuLuxe no matter how good it is or how long it will last, it doesn't belong in a Luxury vehicle.
Old 07-21-21 | 09:38 AM
dta20502
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pbm317
NuLuxe is definitely one of the better synthetics out there!
NuLuxe for Vegetarian!
Old 07-21-21 | 09:40 AM
WNCMtns
Driver School Candidate

I have a '99 GS300 with 190K miles and an '07 GX470 with 235K miles. I've never seen the nulux in real life but I would take it hands down if it looks even half as good as real leather. Yes real leather is supposed to breathe EXCEPT the leather finish on both my vehicles is not perforated and has a 'plastic' finish/coating that means it doesn't breathe either. I've even thought I might rather have a nice cloth material finish rather than leather since it doesn't get so hot or cold in the extreme seasons.

The leather has held up reasonably well on all but the driver's seat which obviously takes a pounding. I've cleaned and conditioned the leather but they break down no matter. The '99 GS leather drivers seat has deep creases and the leather begins to rip/tear eventually. I would also say of the '99 that I was displeased with how the leather was looking 10 years ago. On the 10 scale I give the leather quality a 6 at best and while you can argue about it all day long, I think there are high line cars of similar price which have much better quality lease seats. Given wear, spills, and leather maintenance give me Nulux...although if they don't get a good EV to market very soon not sure if/when I buy another Lexus...although I have greatly loved these 2 since they have almost never failed me reliability wise. Opps, forgot the GX has major paint failure Lexus is running from that I will likely never get help with. I've bought enough vehicles over my life to know none are perfect and no manufacturers are either. Lexus has been excellent all in all. I'm glad to hear there are many happy Nulux owners who have lived with it for a few years. That would be enough for me to prefer it. You may love leather but they are going to fail.
Old 07-21-21 | 09:44 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

I have a '14 IS with light gray Nuluxe. I love the feel of the Nuluxe. I've had no wear issues whatsoever after 7 1/2 years of ownership. My hubby's GS350 FSport has leather and to be honest, I like mine better. The leather in his car feels so hard and uncomfortable. But, maybe that has more to do with the seats than the leather itself.

Either way, I'm very pleased with the Nuluxe.
Old 07-21-21 | 09:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I don't know much about NuLuxe, but leather will last a long time as long as you take care of it. My leather seats in my 2010 IS350 Sport are over 10 years old and still in excellent condition. This car lived most of its life in SoCal with hot summers. I use Chemical Brothers Leather conditioner twice a year

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 07-21-21 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-21-21 | 10:26 AM
JimRob23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CaliTL
Can you tell the difference between Leather and NewLux (Lexus's fake leather)? Does real leather hold up better over time?
yes you can. It really depends on your lifestyle as to which one works for you. I’ve had the upgraded semi on my 12 es ultra luxury and 20 Ls luxury. My wife leases Rx’s every two years and always gets the newlux. The semi requires cleaning and conditioner and is more fussy. It looks nicer and I prefer the look because it’s like old school leather cars. But you do see the wear lines in the leather over time. The newlux looks good and it basically no maintenance. My wife Clorox wiped the interior during the pandemic and it still looks great and if you have kids or carseats you want newlux.Most people haven’t seen the semi upgrade ( in my area luxury models are pretty rare) so most don’t know it looks better. It’s also tricky because the upgraded leather also gets you leather on other parts of the interior so it’s not an even comparable. The short answer is if you wash your car in car washes and use the car heavily get newlux. If you hand wash car and keep it pristine then you will appreciate the extra money spent on luxury.
Old 07-21-21 | 10:48 AM
01raja
Driver

Default Interior

Originally Posted by CaliTL
Can you tell the difference between Leather and NewLux (Lexus's fake leather)? Does real leather hold up better over time?
Nuluxe-Lexus
(MB-Tex) MBenz
Sensatec-BMW
other than the tanning hide smell “new car smell “ it’s difficult to tell. Leather is usually a little thicker; think good sofa, baseball glove v sheepskin soft. Moisturizer is another consideration. Not everyone keeps the moisture in the Nuluxe or Semi-aniline. I use Tannery; a spray product my boot shop exclusively uses.
Old 07-21-21 | 10:52 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I don't know much about NuLuxe, but leather will last a long time as long as you take care of it. My leather seats in my 2010 IS350 Sport are over 10 years old and still in excellent condition. This car lived most of its life in SoCal with hot summers. I use Chemical Brothers Leather conditioner twice a year

Lol right? The leather in my LS430 is a little worn on the edges from sliding in and out over the years but it's not bad it's just...it's a 17 year old car. The leather in my LX looks literally brand new. It's all about keeping the car out of the direct sunlight (tint your windows or park in a garage at home), and just taking basic care of the leather. I am quite surprised by the consensus on here. The nu-luxe is nice, but I have to have my leather.... Goes for all brands.

If it's crappy leather though I don't want it. My spouse had a Mazda 6 when we met, the leather was horrendous, hard, and uncomfortable. Grade: F.
Old 07-21-21 | 10:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lol right? The leather in my LS430 is a little worn on the edges from sliding in and out over the years but it's not bad it's just...it's a 17 year old car. The leather in my LX looks literally brand new. It's all about keeping the car out of the direct sunlight (tint your windows or park in a garage at home), and just taking basic care of the leather. I am quite surprised by the consensus on here. The nu-luxe is nice, but I have to have my leather.... Goes for all brands.

If it's crappy leather though I don't want it. My spouse had a Mazda 6 when we met, the leather was horrendous, hard, and uncomfortable. Grade: F.
Yep, my preference is definitely leather! I rode in my co-workers IS300 Sport, and I believe he has the Nulux seats (Red F-Sport). They are definitely comfortable and very "leather like", but still not the same. Actually those worn lines on the edges give the seats character...
Old 07-21-21 | 11:01 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

]. Actually those worn lines on the edges give the leather character...
I agree. Like your Grandpa's leather chair. I wouldn't even call it "worn" just "lived in".
Old 07-21-21 | 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

NuLuxe is arguably the best automotive leather-substitute I have ever seen. Except, in some cases, for the odor, I find it very difficult to tell the difference.

Plus, I think, some other opinions would gladly choose NuLuxe LOL..........

Old 07-21-21 | 11:04 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Yep, my preference is definitely leather! I rode in my co-workers IS300 Sport, and I believe he has the Nulux seats (Red F-Sport). They are definitely comfortable and very "leather like", but still not the same. Actually those worn lines on the edges give the seats character...
BTW, lol we had that gen IS350 too btw. Too small for my taste but great seats, nice leather.
Old 07-21-21 | 11:13 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
BTW, lol we had that gen IS350 too btw. Too small for my taste but great seats, nice leather.
It's definitely a smaller car, especially the back seats. It's a compact car with a giant engine. When I give it to my son in a year or two I'll replace it with either a 2016 thru 2018 GSF or I also have an LS460 on my list
Old 07-21-21 | 11:21 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

It's definitely a smaller car, especially the back seats. It's a compact car with a giant engine. When I give it to my son in a year or two I'll replace it with either a 2016 thru 2018 GSF or I also have an LS460 on my list
Our IS350 had this really attractive almost white leather, or cream colored. GS-F has leather with suede, those seats are great.

Quick Reply: Leather vs. NewLux