Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Leather vs. NewLux

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-21 | 06:20 AM
BradP350
Driver

Default nulux

Thanks I learned something new today . LOL
Old 07-25-21 | 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think it depends on which leather. The NuLuxe has a better feel than the cheap leathers that you find on the lower end Lexus cars, but compared with the semi-aniline leather it doesnt feel nearly as good.
Old 07-25-21 | 09:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think it depends on which leather. The NuLuxe has a better feel than the cheap leathers that you find on the lower end Lexus cars, but compared with the semi-aniline leather it doesnt feel nearly as good.
This may not apply to some of the latest Mercedes and BMW products (and you are obviously more familiar with the new S-class than I am)....but, not that long ago, both the leather and leather-substitute in these makes was, IMO, far inferior in both texture and feeling to the NuLuxe. I can remember the leather in some BMWs (I think they called it Navajo leather), which IMO was rough/cheap-feeing and unpleasant....the M-B-Tex (which was used in place of real leather) was even worse.
Old 07-26-21 | 07:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This may not apply to some of the latest Mercedes and BMW products (and you are obviously more familiar with the new S-class than I am)....but, not that long ago, both the leather and leather-substitute in these makes was, IMO, far inferior in both texture and feeling to the NuLuxe. I can remember the leather in some BMWs (I think they called it Navajo leather), which IMO was rough/cheap-feeing and unpleasant....the M-B-Tex (which was used in place of real leather) was even worse.
The Sensatec in BMW's has been improved over the years. Some of it is perforated and in other models it's not. I still prefer leather but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I had to get a good synthetic sometime. BMW's basic leather is Dakota and Vernasca depending on the model. IMO they're not bad. Not too supple but I'm sure it's durable. The Merino and Nappa leathers are much nicer.

When we were shopping MB a couple of years ago the MB-Tex seemed pretty good too.
Old 07-26-21 | 07:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its improved, the difference is in the German cars they make it feel like a tougher leather, while the NuLuxe is very smooth and soft, not really trying to pretend to be leather.
Old 07-27-21 | 07:43 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The Sensatec in BMW's has been improved over the years. Some of it is perforated and in other models it's not. I still prefer leather but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I had to get a good synthetic sometime. BMW's basic leather is Dakota and Vernasca depending on the model. IMO they're not bad. Not too supple but I'm sure it's durable. The Merino and Nappa leathers are much nicer.

When we were shopping MB a couple of years ago the MB-Tex seemed pretty good too.
I am curious about the SensaTec, too. I have only experienced the "Vernasca" leather in my wife's current 330i, and the "Dakota" leather in a friend's F30 335i. Neither of them are especially plush-feeling, but they also don't feel cheap either. It is a durable feeling leather, if not luxurious.
Old 07-27-21 | 11:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2

Agree 100%. I have Dakota in my 328. It's definitely not as soft at the leather from my 2nd Gen IS, but my car is 7 years old, and there's no creases or seams, and hardly any wear at all. It's incredibly durable.
Old 10-26-22 | 07:03 AM
Shaboom
Racer

I have the NuLux in my 2021 ES. Approaching two years old. No wear showing. I’m perfectly satisfied with it, especially considering the savings..
Old 10-26-22 | 07:54 AM
Salvanv
Rookie

Default Saddle brown leather

Originally Posted by Shaboom
I have the NuLux in my 2021 ES. Approaching two years old. No wear showing. I’m perfectly satisfied with it, especially considering the savings..
I loved my 2013 Saddle brown leather in the RX 350. I now have nu-lux in ivory. I wanted to replace my old suv with another brown interior. The nu- lux brown is somewhere between a pumpkin color and a baby's diaper. I can't believe they could not make a material with a real looking saddle brown. I settled by getting the ivory interior.
Old 10-26-22 | 07:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CaliTL
Can you tell the difference between Leather and NewLux (Lexus's fake leather)? Does real leather hold up better over time?

Very difficult to tell the difference. I first sampled NuLuxe on the Lexus CT200h, and I was simply amazed. It was, hands-down, without question, the best leather substitute I've ever seen.

And I think this fellow also agrees LOL.........

Old 10-27-22 | 07:13 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I actually like it on non-primary surfaces but you can absolutely tell it's not leather, first time I encountered it I thought it was some sort of advanced soft touch material that Lexus used in the doors of the GS350 so they wouldn't have to use leather like in the high end models.

Once I joined here I realized it was supposed to be a leather replacement and that it was its own "thing". I would like it for areas like the top of the dash and doors and by your feet for example but all primary areas like armrests, console lid, knee panels, wheel, seat, and console sides should be real leather IMO.