Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevy Bolt, so hot right now

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-21, 02:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts
Default Chevy Bolt, so hot right now

So far GM has recalled 69,000 Bolts, in fact this will now make it the 3rd recall of affected vehicles for the same issue. The 2nd recall apparently finally fixed the issue but a vehicle with the fix caught on fire so now recall #3. GM says don't charge the car unattended and don't park the car in a garage.

Old 07-17-21, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
GM says don't charge the car unattended and don't park the car in a garage.
Well, that certainly sounds familiar.

Old 07-18-21, 02:32 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
GM says don't charge the car unattended...
I can think of better ways to pass the time than watching my Bolt charge! So, GM feels an owner could call 911 faster if they are watching when the Bolt self-immolates? If I owned one, and it caught on fire, I might prefer that it burn to the ground!
Old 07-18-21, 04:06 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Typical GM, the aftermarket usually fixes their mistakes but that's only for vehicles people actually care about (8 cyl)
Old 08-18-21, 09:43 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

tl;dw

Chevy is recalling all affected cars to replace the entire battery pack, timeline for owners will be months or even years. In the mean time GM is asking owners to limit the discharge and charge percentage to prevent chance of fire which amounts to having about 60% range.

Old 08-18-21, 06:50 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

EV cars can’t be repaired by independent shops- you basically can never own one out of warranty.
I would imagine the used ones will be worthless once the battery warranty expires. Can you imagine how dealers will screw consumers especially if there is no alternative for places to go and fix the battery?

This is another - in a long line of negatives- about EV cars.
Old 08-18-21, 11:16 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I've only seen one or two on the road. Don't think they are selling well to begin with, but someone will probably refute that.
Old 08-19-21, 04:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Once recalled, the 69,000 defective battery packs are going to be put on a diesel barge and shipped somewhere to Africa where they are going to be incinerated in a landfill, releasing all that environmentally friendly acid smoke.
Old 08-20-21, 03:52 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Chevy Bolt battery recall expanded by GM to every Bolt sold worldwide

It applies to all Bolt EV and EUV models sold since the nameplate's introduction

GM is expanding the recall campaign for its Chevrolet Bolt EV to include every example of the car sold worldwide since its introduction in 2017 through model year 2022, to address a battery problem that has been blamed for multiple vehicle fires.

The Associated Press reported that the recall announced Friday adds about 73,000 Bolts from the 2019 through 2022 model years to a previous recall of 69,000 older Bolts. NHTSA's announcment, however, said the recall affects an additional 59,392 model year 2019-2022 vehicles that were not covered in previous recalls.

GM said Friday the recall will cost it an additional $1 billion and is seeking at least partial reimbursement from battery supplier LG Chem.

Some owners' cars have already been recalled twice for the same potential battery fire issue, and customers are still being urged to carefully monitor their cars' state of charge and park them outside when possible. Specifically, GM advises owners to:
  • Set their vehicle to the 90% state of charge limitation using Hilltop Reserve mode (2017 and 2018 model years) or Target Charge Level mode (2019-2022 model years).
    • If owners are unable to set their vehicles to the 90% state of charge limitation mode, or if they feel uncomfortable making the change, GM is asking owners to visit a local dealer immediately to have the change made.
  • Recharge the battery on their Bolts after each use and not wait until the battery is almost run down (deep discharge mode) before charging it back up.
In April, GM announced that it had developed diagnostic software to look for anomalies identified in a November recall spurred by reports of multiple battery fires. Two people suffered smoke inhalation and a house was set ablaze.

GM and LG Chem together determined that batteries that caught fire were near a full state of charge. As a temporary fix, owners and dealers were told to make software changes to limit charging to 90% of a battery’s capacity. GM traced the fires to what it called at the time a rare manufacturing defect in battery modules which can cause a short in a cell, triggering a fire.

The recall came after the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened an investigation into the fires last year. The agency said in documents that the fires began under the rear seat while the cars were parked and unattended.

Engineers had originally determined that only Bolts with battery packs manufactured at LG Chem's factory in Ochang, South Korea, from May 2016 to May 2019 posed a fire risk, but this recent expansion will include models with battery packs supplied by LG Chem's Holland, Michigan, facility. Previously, these were not considered high-risk.

The ongoing recall of the Chevy Bolt had already hit GM's earnings prospects by $800 million, the company said, when it announced its second-quarter financial results. GM's total losses in the quarter due to ongoing recalls company-wide was estimated at $1.3 billion, meaning the Bolt campaign alone accounts for more than 60% of GM's current recall-related costs.

CEO Mary Barra noted that the company's new Ultium battery architecture is unaffected by the issue in question with the Bolt.
Source
Old 08-22-21, 11:14 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Once recalled, the 69,000 defective battery packs are going to be put on a diesel barge and shipped somewhere to Africa where they are going to be incinerated in a landfill, releasing all that environmentally friendly acid smoke.
It seems that EV lovers want to ignore facts like these.
Old 08-22-21, 11:19 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
It seems that EV lovers want to ignore facts like these.
Well, Elon Musk did say that the problem with batteries is that they suck. He's not wrong, lol.
Old 08-22-21, 11:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

One more reason, IMO, to concentrate on hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles rather than BEVs. I may be wrong, but I've never heard of a fuel-cell vehicle catching fire from a means related to the powertrain.
Old 08-22-21, 11:35 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by Och
Well, Elon Musk did say that the problem with batteries is that they suck. He's not wrong, lol.
I'm not the most knowledgeable about batteries polluting the environment but if that's really what's happening, then all these EV lovers are hypocrites.

If America is ever going to warm up to EV's, they really need to figure out the charging times. Very few are going to want to spend 30 minutes to charge enough to drive 80 miles like in almost every existing EV. We're all used to spending 2 minutes at a gas station right down the road from our house.

The people who bring up all these really long lines at every gas station in this country are liars. There are none. MAYBE in a big city where one station is under some sort of construction and it's really busy. Even then there are still many options. Maybe drive 1/4 mile down the road to another station.

They're just as bad as the people who say that pumping gas in the cold weather is a drawback. Like it's going to hurt you to stand outside for 15 seconds to insert your debit card and PIN and insert the nozzle. Then get back inside your car and then when it's done you spend another 8 seconds putting the pump back and tightening the gas cap. Those people are obviously grasping at straws in justifying their EV purchase. Lol
Old 08-22-21, 11:39 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One more reason, IMO, to concentrate on hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles rather than BEVs. I may be wrong, but I've never heard of a fuel-cell vehicle catching fire from a means related to the powertrain.
Maybe not to a vehicle but I guess there was that plant in California a couple years back that blew up.

I think it's way too early to tell what the future is going to hold. The EV lovers can get hyped all they want but they are ignoring the fact that they are impractical for most of this country.
Old 08-22-21, 11:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with you, speaking of car fires, most ICE vehicles fires are caused by electrical failures, crashes, and mechanical failure. Only about 1% of ICE car fires initiates at the fast tank or fuel lines.

Quick Reply: Chevy Bolt, so hot right now