Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best selling cars 1978-2020

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-21, 03:25 PM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not in the mid-late 1970s. The Olds Cutlass was an American cult back then. And coupes with the small peep-hole opera windows in the C-pillars were especially popular.
Oh yeah they were. My dad was a used car dealer from the late 50's until 1978 but when he came out of World War II he started with the local Olds-Cadillac dealer first as a mechanic then as a salesman. But he had people still wanting to buy new Oldsmobiles and other GM stuff from him after he opened his used car lot. He had a GM dealer buddy of his about 100 miles from our town and I can remember going over there many, many times in the early to mid 70's to pick up 5 or 6 new GM products that he would put on his lot, to sell. I cant remember if he would leave the window sticker in them or not. Probably not so he wouldn't upset the local dealer although I'm sure they knew what he was doing. Mainly he would get Oldsmobiles. One for my mother to drive then the other 4 or 5 to sell. 2 or 3 Cutlasses, a Delta 88 or two and maybe a 98. Occasionally he would get a Buick or maybe a Pontiac but not a Cadillac. He would still get a Cadillac if somebody specifically asked for one but not to display on the lot.

You mentioning the coupes reminded me that my mother would always drive a Cutlass 2dr. She never really said anything negative about what he brought with one exception. It had to be '76 or '77 when he brought her home her new Cutlass. It was that Robin's egg blue or whatever that light blue color they had with a white half vinyl top. She took one look at it and said "NOOOOO!!!!!!". She absolutely hated that color. Now dark blue she didn't mind but she did not like that light blue and she wasn't driving it. So of course like two stubborn mules Dad said "yes you will or you won't drive anything". Well she left that car sitting in the driveway for what must have been a week or more, she did not drive it at all. Finally my dad caved in and brought her home a dark green one which she drove.

But I do remember making that trip over there several times for those Cutlass 2drs.
Old 07-19-21, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jezza819
Oh yeah they were. My dad was a used car dealer from the late 50's until 1978 but when he came out of World War II he started with the local Olds-Cadillac dealer first as a mechanic then as a salesman. But he had people still wanting to buy new Oldsmobiles and other GM stuff from him after he opened his used car lot. He had a GM dealer buddy of his about 100 miles from our town and I can remember going over there many, many times in the early to mid 70's to pick up 5 or 6 new GM products that he would put on his lot, to sell. I cant remember if he would leave the window sticker in them or not. Probably not so he wouldn't upset the local dealer although I'm sure they knew what he was doing. Mainly he would get Oldsmobiles. One for my mother to drive then the other 4 or 5 to sell. 2 or 3 Cutlasses, a Delta 88 or two and maybe a 98. Occasionally he would get a Buick or maybe a Pontiac but not a Cadillac. He would still get a Cadillac if somebody specifically asked for one but not to display on the lot.

You mentioning the coupes reminded me that my mother would always drive a Cutlass 2dr. She never really said anything negative about what he brought with one exception. It had to be '76 or '77 when he brought her home her new Cutlass. It was that Robin's egg blue or whatever that light blue color they had with a white half vinyl top. She took one look at it and said "NOOOOO!!!!!!". She absolutely hated that color. Now dark blue she didn't mind but she did not like that light blue and she wasn't driving it. So of course like two stubborn mules Dad said "yes you will or you won't drive anything". Well she left that car sitting in the driveway for what must have been a week or more, she did not drive it at all. Finally my dad caved in and brought her home a dark green one which she drove.

But I do remember making that trip over there several times for those Cutlass 2drs.

Thanks for your comments. No offense to your mother, but, IMO, it sounds to me like she just got carried away with the obsession against that light-blue color. I don't understand why she hated it so much, although I admit I have some color-dislikes myself.....black is one of them.
Old 07-19-21, 10:28 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 485 Likes on 421 Posts

That list doesn't really surprise me at all.....Totally differnt world now......
Old 07-20-21, 08:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
That list doesn't really surprise me at all.....Totally differnt world now......
Perhaps, but I also see some similarities between then and now. Back then, in the 1970s, it was downsizing, smaller engines, less power and drivability, better gas mileage, more-expensive gas, and more government-mandated features on the vehicles being integrated into the culture, whether the public wanted it or not. Today, instead, it is crossovers, the electrification of vehicles, computerized-everything, video-screens, and (in some cases), Halloween-Mask-styling, and having the vehicle do everything for you that us Baby Boomers are getting too old to do for ourselves, and younger people can't put their smart-phones down long enough to do LOL.
Old 07-20-21, 10:20 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 485 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps, but I also see some similarities between then and now. Back then, in the 1970s, it was downsizing, smaller engines, less power and drivability, better gas mileage, more-expensive gas, and more government-mandated features on the vehicles being integrated into the culture, whether the public wanted it or not. Today, instead, it is crossovers, the electrification of vehicles, computerized-everything, video-screens, and (in some cases), Halloween-Mask-styling, and having the vehicle do everything for you that us Baby Boomers are getting too old to do for ourselves, and younger people can't put their smart-phones down long enough to do LOL.
Yet ppl ***** about the fit/finish of vehicles, yet they want all this tech so they don't have to put in the ''work'' to drive the vehicle......Halloween-Mask styling...LOL ....Where'd the OG designers go? Pretty pathectic that theres no cohesion on some vehicles nowadays....Some look so bad that "even the wind is confused".....Then the manufacturer wonders why they're sales are down.......
Old 07-21-21, 12:41 PM
Lnwinston
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super nice car! We do shows with 3 different muscle cars, and generally the fit and finish on restorations is far above the way it came off the line back in the day. "Over-restored" is the term for it. Depending on the competition, it can be necessary to win the big trophies or qualify for senior preservation level.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Sad how the US automakers never evolved to being the best from their high point of the 50s-60s.

Recently seeing a 1957 Chevy Bel-Air on the street - just mesmerizing car and so American. They sold out completely. I visited my local Ford dealer to look at new Mustang Mach 1 - EVERY single body panel is misaligned with uneven gaps - just unacceptable for a $60k car. Zero attention to detail or even pride.