Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3 month check-in after used LX purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-21, 03:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Cool. That makes sense. Where you get it serviced? Do you go to Lexus
The PO took it to Toyota, he was smart. Toyota updates the Lexus service history online, which is such a valuable tool when you're buying a used car. This was serviced like clockwork and then some.

I still need to get a pic of the aftermarket brake rotors and pads PO installed. They look good. They feel great.
Old 07-25-21, 03:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
The PO took it to Toyota, he was smart. Toyota updates the Lexus service history online, which is such a valuable tool when you're buying a used car. This was serviced like clockwork and then some.

I still need to get a pic of the aftermarket brake rotors and pads PO installed. They look good. They feel great.
‘That’s great to hear. I am happy for you that it’s exceeding your expectations. The Toyota/Lexus body of frame SUV’s from Japan are just so satisfying.
Old 07-25-21, 03:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Yep, my buddy who sold it to me won't ever shut up about synthetic how it's better and I was stubborn for a while..
Shocker! LOL
Old 07-25-21, 05:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Touche', touche'. Haha..
Old 07-25-21, 07:36 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I finally rode in back and let my buddy drive it, show us around their new neighborhood in Chatt and his wife rode in the front bc they may get one. We were in the back for about an hour.

They almost pulled the trigger on a used Escalade but backed out.

My point is, the back seat of the LX is decadent. Both right and sides of the seat adjust, power bases and manual seat backs. Tons of room. Seats are 100% as comfortable as front. True 4 zone climate control that turns it into a meatlocker. 2 stage heated seats. DVD screens if you want, can use both separately. It’s dated and screens are small but they’re there. Spouse watched a movie the way down. Truck came with 2 sets of wireless headphones and remote for screens. All works.

This is the perrrrfect vehicle for a 4 person road trip.

My buddy said the engine was louder in Escalade and has more pull (Caddy does have 40 more hp and 350lbs lighter) but that the 5.7 is plenty and the LX is way more smooth and buttery.

They’ll probably get an LX but maybe newer.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-25-21 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-18-21, 03:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Had DJ for a few more months now, figured I'd check in. Still love Him as much as ever...

A few complaints, though: There is virtually nowhere to put phones, etc. You WILL always have the cup holder thing open and using that space to put "your junk" in. The center console is huge which is nice for larger items, etc, but for your phone and keys, etc. there isn't enough space. I even tried to do something with the ashtray but nothing really to do to improve storage. Can't wait to use the cool box to bring Wegmans Subs back to TN from NY next trip, lol.

Window switches I still am not that used to. You have to sorta "go under" the armrest to access them.

That's about it for complaints.

One thing I would like to talk about is the suspension.

Many, many of you have opined that the truck dives and squats excessively. Some of you flat don't like the LX because of it.

I do not NOT believe you. I am not saying you're exaggerating. I'm not saying you're NOT right.

But this truck does not really dive and squat, at least mine doesn't. The AHC handles it all gracefully. If you go hard on the brakes at 100mph yes it's physics but otherwise this is not a lumbering, laborious truck to drive. At all. Some have especially called it out but I can't duplicate anything significant, and I've tried. I wanted to slam on the brakes and put the phone, take a video in the rear view mirror to show everyone how it doesn't really squat. Maybe I'll find an appropriate place to try that, show y'all what I mean. I don't want to argue over this, but let's talk about it.

I am a car person through and through, as much as anyone on here. I am also fine admitting my vehicle's shortcomings. But I really don't know WTF you guys are talking about with this excessive roll and dive. Car person that I am, I would have noticed it. I've driven plenty of heavy trucks. I've been trying to duplicate it driving. I had to legit, real panic stop for a light yesterday and that didn't even ruffle any feathers. Granted I just have my experience, obviously an S-Class or something will be a better choice around town... But otherwise it's just a big, serene, refined quiet truck. I love driving it around town. There are zero body motions that bother me. In fact, it drives quite well.

Maybe I need to go drive a bunch of cars but I don't want to waste anyone's time especially now?
Old 09-18-21, 03:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Oh, lol. Nosey me...previous owner's address was in the GPS, of course I google it. Neighborhood with 1.5MM homes just across the way in Asheville, lol. I called Toyota that he serviced it at and they knew right away the truck I meant.. This thing is in such good shape, I can't stress that enough.
Old 09-18-21, 07:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Glad you're enjoying it.

Its not "excessive" its just a characteristic that the vehicle has, a lot of other big heavy softly sprung SUVs are the same way. If it doesnt bother you, then no reason to stress about it. More modern SUVs with quicker adjusting dynamic suspensions do a better job of hiding that characteristic. (Escalades with Magnaride, MB vehicles with EABC active suspensions, etc)
Old 09-19-21, 08:47 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Glad you're enjoying it.

Its not "excessive" its just a characteristic that the vehicle has, a lot of other big heavy softly sprung SUVs are the same way. If it doesnt bother you, then no reason to stress about it. More modern SUVs with quicker adjusting dynamic suspensions do a better job of hiding that characteristic. (Escalades with Magnaride, MB vehicles with EABC active suspensions, etc)
Thanks....and right. Same thing sorta with my LS430, sorta, when I got it. I was expecting just this float mobile with a 1990s Cadillac DeVille ride and handling but it wasn't. Not even close.
Old 09-19-21, 08:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks....and right. Same thing sorta with my LS430, sorta, when I got it. I was expecting just this float mobile with a 1990s Cadillac DeVille ride and handling but it wasn't. Not even close.
And the LS430 has a lot of lean and squat and dive too compared to even other generations of the LS, its all relative. In order to really combat that and have a very compliant suspension, you have to have an adaptive suspension. The suspension has to be able to increase firmness in situations where it needs to and decrease firmness in situations where it doesnt. The LS430 with air suspension does that somewhat, but not as well as modern systems with much faster dampers.

In my S560 for instance, there is a HUGE difference in roll and lean and squat and dive between comfort and sport modes.
Old 09-19-21, 12:35 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And the LS430 has a lot of lean and squat and dive too compared to even other generations of the LS, its all relative. In order to really combat that and have a very compliant suspension, you have to have an adaptive suspension. The suspension has to be able to increase firmness in situations where it needs to and decrease firmness in situations where it doesnt. The LS430 with air suspension does that somewhat, but not as well as modern systems with much faster dampers.

In my S560 for instance, there is a HUGE difference in roll and lean and squat and dive between comfort and sport modes.
Nice. Are you air or hydraulic? ABC was hydraulic but it's old tech and your car is new...

We just went out and about for a couple hours and I asked my spouse do you notice "xxxx and xxx". Thought I was crazy. I actually *like* the way it comes to a stop, I had another yellow and had to slam on brakes again today. AHC is one of my favorite things. It alone is reason to not get a LC and get the LX, IMO.
Old 09-19-21, 12:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mine is air, I don’t have ABC/Magic Body Control. The air suspension in the S is just a lot quicker to adjust than what was in the LS
Old 09-21-21, 10:17 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Nice example of the low end torque. I use 2nd gear start feature like here a fair amount of time and it gets going no problem. I maybe gave it 1/4-1/5 throttle. The obnoxious noise is another car.
Old 09-29-21, 02:26 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Not that you need to feel any better about your LX purchase, AJT123, but another '14 with 231,000 miles on it just sold on carsandbids.com for $28,765. It appeared to have not had the most gentle life.
Old 09-29-21, 02:36 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TriC
Not that you need to feel any better about your LX purchase, AJT123, but another '14 with 231,000 miles on it just sold on carsandbids.com for $28,765. It appeared to have not had the most gentle life.
WHAT??? Do you have a link? I’ll look for it. Yeah I’m tempted to put it on the market for $40k plus and pocket 8 grand but no way. My friend whom I bought it from took this picture today:

He also took a pic of the mud. Lots of people are telling me I’m nuts for off roading this thing, their loss.

Quick Reply: 3 month check-in after used LX purchase