Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota is quietly pushing Congress to slow the shift to electric vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-21, 08:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Do you also use the standard of gas cars made 50 years ago to judge them today?
Unfortunately the answer to that question is yes lol
Old 07-28-21, 08:39 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It is SO infuriating to be argued with by someone who has zero experience with the subject matter. If you're going to tell me I'm wrong, at least have a passing understanding what sort of thing I'm even talking about, even better some experience with the subject would be a plus. I appreciate that you used a lawnmower 50 years ago but I used the electric lawnmower I'm talking about yesterday.
It's the exact same thing that so many folks on this forum argue endlessly about how their lives would be ruined if they had an EV (cleaning buggers from their noses while wasting their lives several hours a day charging their cars so that they can drive to work and back) - this is coming from folks that have not really considered getting an EV and have no interest in getting one because of mis-information they've been fed or some personal bias.

I'm NOT referring to anyone who is not in a position to charge at home.
Old 07-28-21, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

And my answer is correct lol. Whatever electric lawn tools your dad used, someone I assume passed away many years ago has no bearing on how well electric tools work today. You mention a cord, there are no cords, there are rechargeable battery packs that operate the tool for hours at a time. You have no idea what you're talking about.

And it bears no notice that professional lawn maintenance companies don't use them, because I'm not a professional lawn maintenance company and my needs are different from theirs.

It is SO infuriating to be argued with by someone who has zero experience with the subject matter. If you're going to tell me I'm wrong, at least have a passing understanding what sort of thing I'm even talking about.

I'm not telling you you are wrong. Do not put words in my mouth. I simply answered your question. If electric-lawn-gear works OK for you, use them. But my point is don't try and tell others what is best for them. Most of us, here, in this thread, are not trying to do that.

In fact, that is actually one of the advantages of condo-life, although, of course, you pay a monthly fee for it....not having to actually do that stuff yourself any more....which, in general, gets more difficult and taxing as you get older. You are probably at least 10 years younger then me in age (maybe more?)......and you'll probably notice a difference yourself in the next decade.
Old 07-28-21, 08:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just to add, this is the lawnmower stored in my garage, something that would be impossible with a gas mower. There are benefits to electric tools and vehicles that go beyond simply not using gas for environmental reasons is my point. I'm not someone who really cares at all about the environment, sorry but thats true. I want the best and easiest tools, be those actual tools or my vehicle. If I can get an experience I like better out of an EV, thats what I want. Lots of people are the same way.

I like this lawnmower because its easy to deal with, not because its better for the environment:

Old 07-28-21, 08:46 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not telling you you are wrong. Do not put words in my mouth. I simply answered your question. If electric-lawn-gear works OK for you, use them. But my point is don't try and tell others what is best for them. Most of us, here, in this thread, are not trying to do that.

In fact, that is actually one of the advantages of condo-life, although, of course, you pay a monthly fee for it....not having to actually do that stuff yourself any more....which, in general, gets more difficult and taxing as you get older. You are probably at least 10 years younger then me in age (maybe more?)......and you'll probably notice a difference yourself in the next decade.
How exactly did Steve tell others what is best for them? I haven't read anything like that - he's simply saying his experience with battery powered electric tools is awesome. End of story.
Old 07-28-21, 08:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its called giving people your practical experience as advice. I did not ask a question, I offered my first hand experience which you countered with your contrary opinion which isnt backed by any experience whatsoever, in fact which showed a total lack of understanding of what I was even talking about.

Thats precisely whats wrong here, you have people with ZERO experience with EV cars trying to tell everybody why EV cars are bad. People need to learn to stop talking and listen to people who actually have experience.

Find someone who went to an EV car and said the experience was terrible. They are very rare, most people who switch to EV cars are actually delighted with the change. That was the point of me bringing up my lawn tools, I made the change and am deligted with it.

Lets do more listening to people who have first hand experience and less talking when we don't have any related experience to share, shall we? If you've never used an electric lawnmower...don't argue with people who have. Simple. If you dont have an EV car, don't argue with people who do. Simple.
Old 07-28-21, 08:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

If someone has doubts about lawn car businesses using electric equipment, I'd suggest looking at a few random You Tube lawn care business owners videos. Battery operated weed eaters, edgers, trimmers, blowers and mowers are becoming increasingly common.

. Back in the day the cords for electric mowers were bright orange to make them more visible so you wouldn't run over them lol. Those days are behind us.
Old 07-28-21, 08:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
It's the exact same thing that so many folks on this forum argue endlessly about how their lives would be ruined if they had an EV (cleaning buggers from their noses while wasting their lives several hours a day charging their cars so that they can drive to work and back) - this is coming from folks that have not really considered getting an EV and have no interest in getting one because of mis-information they've been fed or some personal bias.

I'm NOT referring to anyone who is not in a position to charge at home.
I know...its totally ridiculous. Its the old saying, "Someone with experience is not at the mercy of someone with an opinion"
Old 07-28-21, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I know...its totally ridiculous. Its the old saying, "Someone with experience is not at the mercy of someone with an opinion"

In the next decade or so, you will (probably) start to have some of the same experience yourself....and see that it's not so ridiculous. Time waits for no one.

Anyhow, we have all gotten off the topic....EVs, not electric lawn-tools.
Old 07-28-21, 09:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In the next decade or so, you will (probably) start to have some of the same experience yourself....and see that it's not so ridiculous. Time waits for no one.

Anyhow, we have all gotten off the topic....EVs, not electric lawn-tools.
I don't post opinions about things I don't have experience with or knowledge of, doing so and arguing with people who have experience with the subject when you know that you don't is ridiculous, I'm sorry. There's nothing wrong with not having experience with or knowledge of a subject. There will always be way more things left to learn about then there are things that we already are well versed about. There is no weakness in learning or admitting you don't know as much about something as someone else. In fact, being willing to admit that and learn is a sign of strength not weakness.

And electric lawn tools are not off topic. A vehicle is simply a tool itself, and the example of the electric lawn tools is an example how battery technology can be superior to gas technology in many ways that have nothing to do with the environment.
Old 07-28-21, 09:15 AM
Zammer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NY Times article

This is from the NY Times article noted in the original post,:Behind that position is a business quandary: Even as other automakers have embraced electric cars, Toyota bet its future on the development of hydrogen fuel cells — a costlier technology that has fallen far behind electric batteries — with greater use of hybrids in the near term. That means a rapid shift from gasoline to electric on the roads could be devastating for the company’s market share and bottom line.

The recent push in Washington follows Toyota’s worldwide efforts — in markets including the United States, the United Kingdom, the European Union and Australia — to oppose stricter car emissions standards or fight electric vehicle mandates. For example, executives at Toyota’s Indian subsidiary publicly criticized India’s target for 100 percent electric vehicle sales by 2030, saying it was not practical.

Together with other automakers, Toyota also sided with the Trump administration in a battle with California over the Clean Air Act and sued Mexico over fuel efficiency rules. In Japan, Toyota officials argued against carbon taxes.

“Toyota has gone from a leading position to an industry laggard” in clean-car policy even as other automakers push ahead with ambitious electric vehicle plans, said Danny Magill, an analyst at InfluenceMap, a London-based think tank that tracks corporate climate lobbying. InfluenceMap gives Toyota a “D-” grade, the worst among automakers, saying it exerts policy influence to undermine public climate goals.
Old 07-28-21, 09:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zammer
“Toyota has gone from a leading position to an industry laggard” in clean-car policy even as other automakers push ahead with ambitious electric vehicle plans, said Danny Magill, an analyst at InfluenceMap, a London-based think tank that tracks corporate climate lobbying. InfluenceMap gives Toyota a “D-” grade, the worst among automakers, saying it exerts policy influence to undermine public climate goals.
Absolutely the truth, it really is amazing.
Old 07-28-21, 09:22 AM
Zammer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How will unions slow things down to a crawl, even if they wanted to? Union membership is at a low.
Old 07-28-21, 09:22 AM
BenjiboyIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you serious!?!?
Old 07-28-21, 09:27 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Zammer
This is from the NY Times article noted in the original post,:Behind that position is a business quandary: Even as other automakers have embraced electric cars, Toyota bet its future on the development of hydrogen fuel cells — a costlier technology that has fallen far behind electric batteries — with greater use of hybrids in the near term. That means a rapid shift from gasoline to electric on the roads could be devastating for the company’s market share and bottom line.

The recent push in Washington follows Toyota’s worldwide efforts — in markets including the United States, the United Kingdom, the European Union and Australia — to oppose stricter car emissions standards or fight electric vehicle mandates. For example, executives at Toyota’s Indian subsidiary publicly criticized India’s target for 100 percent electric vehicle sales by 2030, saying it was not practical.

Together with other automakers, Toyota also sided with the Trump administration in a battle with California over the Clean Air Act and sued Mexico over fuel efficiency rules. In Japan, Toyota officials argued against carbon taxes.

Thanks for sharing! I had no idea this was such a concerted effort by Toyota.

Quick Reply: Toyota is quietly pushing Congress to slow the shift to electric vehicles