Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota is quietly pushing Congress to slow the shift to electric vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-21, 10:28 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusIowa1
This all reminds me of converting power plants from coal and nuclear to natural gas. So not only will some vehicles, lots of homes and businesses use Natural gas now we rely on it to produce electricity - what happens in a generation or two when natural gas becomes short in supply?
You don't worry about the same thing when it comes to crude?
I love my 450h and think there is a place for full EV but let's not be short sighted and get rid of gasoline vehicles. Let's also continue to produce electricity by all means possible to not put all eggs into one basket !
Let's produce electricity as cleanly as possible. Burning natural gas and oil in cars (hydrogen is the same as burning natural gas) is not sustainable.
Old 07-28-21, 10:30 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Fuel cells run on fuel produced using the grid.
So are the non reclaimable batteries and their constant need for a recharge. We're all acting like batteries are the only solution next to death!
Old 07-28-21, 10:31 AM
Zammer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve--You're a welcome breath of sanity. My apartment building has 18 parking spots in the garage, and no chargers. Two of the spots have Teslas. There used to be a third, but he moved. Being a tenant obviously doesn't preclude owning an EV.
Old 07-28-21, 10:36 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
So are the non reclaimable batteries and their constant need for a recharge. We're all acting like batteries are the only solution next to death!
The materials in batteries are expensive and valuable. There are multiple battery recycling centers being built as they want to reclaim the raw materials. They all use the same grid but BEVs require a 3rd of the electricity requirements vs. creating compressed hydrogen for fuel...so BEVs are about 3x more efficient than hydrogen fuel cell cars.
Old 07-28-21, 10:38 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rj4510
So are the non reclaimable batteries...
80-90% of the material in a 18650 cell is reclaimable.
...and their constant need for a recharge.
Well obviously, we don't have a Mr. Fusion yet.
We're all acting like batteries are the only solution next to death!
What we are trying to do is produce and store energy as efficiently as possible. Currently, a BEV is the most efficient form of transport (2x or better than a fuel cell vehicle).
Old 07-28-21, 10:40 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The materials in batteries are expensive and valuable. There are multiple battery recycling centers being built as they want to reclaim the raw materials. They all use the same grid but BEVs require a 3rd of the electricity requirements vs. creating compressed hydrogen for fuel...so BEVs are about 3x more efficient than hydrogen fuel cell cars.
Do you know that only about 5% of lithium batteries get recycled? https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56574779

And your claim about efficiency is a far stretch, it's far more nuanced than that.
Old 07-28-21, 10:40 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

80-90% of the material in a 18650 cell is reclaimable.

Well obviously, we don't have a Mr. Fusion yet.

What we are trying to do is produce and store energy as efficiently as possible. Currently, a BEV is the most efficient form of transport (2x or better than a fuel cell vehicle).
https://insideevs.com/news/406676/ba...cy-comparison/

This article helps explain the difference from well to wheel. it claims 2-3x more efficiency for BEV vs. hydrogen.
Old 07-28-21, 10:44 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Do you know that only about 5% of lithium batteries get recycled? https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56574779

And your claim about efficiency is a far stretch, it's far more nuanced than that.
Thats right now. When there is an entire ecosystem built on EVs in the near future, battery recycling will be big business as mining is very expensive and limitied. and my claim about efficiency has been well publicized by the media. I've provided one such link above. You have other evidence, prove it.
Old 07-28-21, 10:44 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Then do a better job of recycling. The materials are already there it's far easier to extract from the cells than mine the materials from raw all over again. This should be extremely obvious.
Not MY claims. This has been studied extensively, plus just look at the EPA ratings of the various vehicles.
Old 07-28-21, 10:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Zammer
Steve--You're a welcome breath of sanity. My apartment building has 18 parking spots in the garage, and no chargers. Two of the spots have Teslas. There used to be a third, but he moved. Being a tenant obviously doesn't preclude owning an EV.
I do try lol

And more and more buildings will install chargers as the market demands they be installed and it benefits the property managers to do so.
Old 07-28-21, 10:55 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What you’re seeing is that first hand experience I’m talking about. I would listen…they have the car and they are telling you about their experience and their experience is that the roadblocks you are throwing out are just not an issue in their first hand experience.
It is estimated that 1.5 billion people on the planet eat bugs. Do you want to listen to them, or would you rather make your own decision regarding your diet?

Then do a better job of recycling. The materials are already there it's far easier to extract from the cells than mine the materials from raw all over again. This should be extremely obvious.
The companies that produce and recycle these batteries like to virtue signal and "green wash", but in the end they do whatever best suits their profits, and right now they are sending these batteries and other e-waste to Africa where it gets burned.

Not MY claims. This has been studied extensively, plus just look at the EPA ratings of the various vehicles.
I understand they are not your claims, but these rating are very selective to put nicely.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And more and more buildings will install chargers as the market demands they be installed and it benefits the property managers to do so.
Perhaps, but so far I haven't seen the trend, at least not in the NE. It is expensive, slow and disruptive process, it requires dealing with multiple agencies, and when its being done its mostly for tax credits, and then you see regular cars occupying these spots.

Old 07-28-21, 11:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It is estimated that 1.5 billion people on the planet eat bugs. Do you want to listen to them, or would you rather make your own decision regarding your diet?
I would listen to them when they say that they can eat bugs and not die, sure. Doesn't mean I want to eat bugs.

Like someone else said, just own the fact that you dont want an EV. You can not want one without pretending they wont work for the majority of people.

Perhaps, but so far I haven't seen the trend, at least not in the NE. It is expensive, slow and disruptive process, it requires dealing with multiple agencies, and when its being done its mostly for tax credits, and then you see regular cars occupying these spots.
Theres a huge trend here. Remember I'm in the housing industry. Literally every new condo/apartment project I see has EV charging stations. My office building has a whole level of spaces with EV chargers. Our Target has an entire row of Tesla superchargers in the garage.
Old 07-28-21, 11:08 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I understand they are not your claims, but these rating are very selective to put nicely.
What is your solution? Just keep burning oil for the next 300 years?
Old 07-28-21, 11:19 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The 20 min claim is stretched further than a regular size condom on Michelle Obama, lol.

EVs certainly work for many people, so they will continue to gain market share, but also for a huge chunk of the market they will never work.
och, exit this thread. Zero tolerance here such strange rude sexual political comments. Do not repeat this in future threads on our community

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-28-21 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-28-21, 11:19 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Toyoda.. The boss.
He had his shot with Tesla 12+/- years ago. He blew it then and has not recovered with a plan.
So, like any mega business... To survive they will do anything.. And so far? He, Toyoda, is proving the darker side lives.

To bad too... I like my 2006 LS. The last of the best.

Quick Reply: Toyota is quietly pushing Congress to slow the shift to electric vehicles