Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota is quietly pushing Congress to slow the shift to electric vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-21, 11:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Adding EV chargers to existing parking spaces is no big deal. Its like adding a light pole.
Old 07-28-21, 11:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Not MY claims. This has been studied extensively, plus just look at the EPA ratings of the various vehicles.
and EPA ratings are set by the manufacturers TFL (a big fan of teslas) talked about the range in their model Y (which they're getting rid of after a year), which is consistently WAY LESS than the EPA rating. endless other reviews of other brands show them meeting or beating their EPA ratings. but anyway, that's off topic.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What is your solution? Just keep burning oil for the next 300 years?
off topic.

folks, let's get back to what toyota is doing or not doing and move away from eating bugs, lawnmowers, etc.
Old 07-28-21, 11:37 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I myself have been drawn to EVs more so because of the environment, and I consider myself an objective person (I think most who know me would agree). However, I then started to realize just how convenient electric stuff is for the average suburban dweller like me. I have all electric tools and yard equipment except a mower. I’d like an electric zero turn, but I don’t like the current models. It is wonderful how low maintenance, simple, and powerful they are. I grew up on a farm, raised by a car family in a car culture, and am 100% auto enthusiast, so this is not influenced by my environment, just my convenience.

I do find the 20 minute charging argument odd. Sure, on a road trip, I may need to charge for 20 minutes… but my stops generally take a while anyway. I put gas in the car. Go inside and use the restroom. Peruse the drinks. Buy one. Then leave. Yell at my kids for good measure. It probably takes close to 20 minutes.

One thing that is never mentioned is the time saved. By charging in my garage (or your garage less driveway), you never have to go to a gas station again unless your on a road trip. So sure, the average person may have to charge for 20 minutes on a road trip a few times, but they will save hours of their lives by not going to the gas station ever during their usual daily lives. It really is more than a fair trade as long as you can charge at home. This is before you account gas savings. In Indiana, electric is pretty cheap, but premium is close to $4 a gallon. My wife and I would save a lot of gas money just by owning one EV.

It’s really an issue of perspective and convenience. As has been mentioned before, when cars first came out, the idea was absurd to many. You didn’t have to stop a horse to fuel it; they literally ate while walking. Gas stations were not plentiful at the time, and neither were roads at one point. Cars at first were crazy expensive compared to a horse. But then adaptation happened. The originally considered bizarre became the ordinary. Problems were presented with solutions. Now we look back at horse drawn carriages as a massive waste of time, and horses are a hobby, not a necessity for 99.9% of the population.

This is how ICE will eventually be viewed. We just can’t see how all the concerns will be resolved, because we haven’t resolved them yet. To say it won’t happen is no more than to sit on a horse and say that the now common automobile would never be public transport. The obstacles to making cars common were larger in comparison to making EVs common.

Much later, owning an ICE will maybe be a hobby like owning a horse is now, if it is allowed. It will be little more than an expensive hobby for a well-off person.

Last edited by Jwconeil; 07-28-21 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-28-21, 11:38 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and EPA ratings are set by the manufacturers TFL (a big fan of teslas) talked about the range in their model Y (which they're getting rid of after a year), which is consistently WAY LESS than the EPA rating. endless other reviews of other brands show them meeting or beating their EPA ratings.
No idea why you think EPA ratings are set by auto makers this is backwards. Auto makers test using EPA guidelines, that makes them EPA ratings.
but anyway, that's off topic.
folks, let's get back to what toyota is doing or not doing and move away from eating bugs, lawnmowers, etc.
Can you provide some guidance on what is off topic? You bring up something off topic (your words) then tell people not to go off topic.
Old 07-28-21, 12:05 PM
Zammer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No one has noted that in the early days of the ICE, if a trip of length was to be made, it was necessary to locate in advance places where gasoline was available, and plan to be at one when refills were needed. Cars had cans of gasoline strapped to them, but they would inevitably run out.
Old 07-28-21, 12:07 PM
Zammer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A person who thinks EPA ratings are set by manufacturers is somehow a moderator.
Old 07-28-21, 12:08 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Zammer
But Bitkahuna didn't. I'd sent him a message about it. In my opinion, he shouldn't be a moderator, which requires non-biases, as he posts very opinionated comments.
I disagree. I think moderators make sure rules are being followed but can and should express their opinions on matters. He's never abused his moderator status and its not fair to put limits on moderator's views.
Old 07-28-21, 12:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

A person who thinks EPA ratings are set by manufacturers is somehow a moderator.
since you made this inflammatory snide comment, i feel i have a right to respond with the facts.

Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 15%–20% of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_...s%20Laboratory
Old 07-28-21, 12:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

But Bitkahuna didn't. I'd sent him a message about it. In my opinion, he shouldn't be a moderator, which requires non-biases, as he posts very opinionated comments.
did not receive a message. thanks for your opinion but our VOLUNTARY moderators ARE allowed to have opinions provided the expression of same and general conduct complies with forum rules. you know what they say opinions are like. the moderators are also human beings who make mistakes and i freely admit i've made many on here and elsewhere.
Old 07-28-21, 12:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

I've had enough of moderating this thread. Such poor behavior all around.

It's closed