Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota is quietly pushing Congress to slow the shift to electric vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-21, 08:12 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Tesla not making money: company will soon be bankrupt
Tesla making money: earnings don't mean anything
Originally Posted by Hameed
It's called "damage control" to protect their ICE business. They are doing the exact same thing in Japan.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...an-2021-05-10/
"As a shareholder in Toyota, we actively engaged with the company and received reassurances that all of its lobbying activities, including with industry associations, would be reviewed and reported on this year," said Jan Erik Saugestad, CEO of Storebrand Asset Management.

"Full electrification of transport is vital if we are to meet our climate targets and Toyota should be leading the charge on this rather than prolonging the production of new combustion engines and giving away their market share to other companies," he added.
I wonder how long investors will tolerate Toyoda's nonsense before they start to bail in large numbers.
Old 07-27-21, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Only company that could be ahead by next year is VW, rest are currently offering meh.
​​​​
If the rest are offering "Meh" Toyota's offerings are REALLY pathetic.
Old 07-27-21, 08:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
So hilarious lol
Old 07-27-21, 08:28 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

I wonder how long investors will tolerate Toyoda's nonsense before they start to bail in large numbers.
"Toyota will get their act together when the time is right" - that's a statement I see a lot on this forum. . Is that "Toyoda Time" time? lol At least Elon has competition now - "Elon Time".
Old 07-27-21, 08:35 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Tesla earnings don't mean anything, EV's made up 1.8%(less then sports cars/muscle cars/coupes) of sales last year, the public clearly doesn't want them and what few buy EV's, they are mostly Tesla that has a lot to do with image so they get the big earnings.
Your logic is reversed. Electric car sales are 2% because people clearly don’t want them? Or it’s 2% because there are no good offerings from mainstream manufacturers?

as pointed out above, EV sales in California are 9%. I’d guess that metropolitan cities around the coast have similar high EV adoption rates. Middle America is what’s pushing down your EV statistic. Combine that 9% figure with the fact that California has the highest number of car sales, saying that clearly nobody wants electric is denial
Old 07-27-21, 08:36 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

"Toyota will get their act together when the time is right" - that's a statement I see a lot on this forum. . Is that "Toyoda Time" time? lol At least Elon has competition now - "Elon Time".
I have a lot of respect for VW to shift so quickly when they felt the market changing. They went all in on EVs and will reap the benefit of being a fast follower. Thats not to say that Toyota isn't taking the right approach for them as they don't really believe in BEVs (as indicated by their mgmt). They should double down on their belief and produce hydrogen fuel cell cars and hybrids and forget BEV if thats the case instead of trying to slow down EV adoption (kinda pathetic). Compete instead of whining to the government.
Old 07-27-21, 08:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm tellin ya, once range is sorted and there are a bunch of good offerings that are mainstream in appearance and feel, buyers are going to prefer EVs.
Old 07-27-21, 08:38 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Come on, be real lol. Look at what EV products and ranges etc competitors are developing and coming out with. How can you say with a straight face that Toyota is not behind?! Other manufacturers are on their second generation of all EV platforms and Toyota has yet to release one at all. Ford has an EV F150 that can power your house and we're supposed to be impressed by a Lexus UX with 170 miles of range you can't even buy here? Get real.

Whether or not the US is ready is a separate argument from whether or not Toyota is behind.
Well the article is referring to Toyota lobbying the US so it is about the US. Whether or not Toyota is behind is another discussion.

Umm how is the electric motors different in a hybrid vs an EV? How is the battery different in an EV vs the ones in a hybrid other than size and capacity? Why does Toyota need an EV, like, right now? How do we know Toyota's first gen isnt going to be better than anybody's 2nd or 3rd gen? Toyota has been producing electric motors and batteries for like 20 yrs. I'm sure they know a thing or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 about electrification. Can the power systems in the various cities handle the huge electrical demand? My office building that was built in the last 20yrs, if more a a few people have those small electric portable heaters running, the fuse box gets tripped and that's in NY.

What is the EV range in a vehicle similar in size to the UX?
Old 07-27-21, 08:39 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I have a lot of respect for VW to shift so quickly when they felt the market changing. They went all in on EVs and will reap the benefit of being a fast follower. Thats not to say that Toyota isn't taking the right approach for them as they don't really believe in BEVs (as indicated by their mgmt). They should double down on their belief and produce hydrogen fuel cell cars and hybrids and forget BEV if thats the case instead of trying to slow down EV adoption (kinda pathetic). Compete instead of whining to the government.
"But EV's only make up 2% of worldwide sales" - so why even bother to whine about EV's to the US and Japanese governments??
Old 07-27-21, 08:47 AM
situman
Pole Position

I'm tellin ya, once range is sorted and there are a bunch of good offerings that are mainstream in appearance and feel, buyers are going to prefer EVs.
If I can fully charge the thing in 5 minutes without having to retrofit my home or scramble to find charging stations because everyone is parking their cars at chargers, I'm good to go. I shouldnt be inconvenienced when getting into new tech, that is not progress.
Old 07-27-21, 08:49 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

"But EV's only make up 2% of worldwide sales" - so why even bother to whine about EV's to the US and Japanese governments??
Honestly, I think Toyota knows they mistimed the market. EVs are happening quicker than they anticipated and is now behind the competition. I don't believe that Toyota is ahead in this EV game at all because even the Germans are now finding out that its not hardware prowess that's driving EV development but software expertise. Tesla has it in spades and so they are easily leading...VW had major delays due to software issues and are now just getting it sorted (and they are the biggest auto OEM in the world) and even Porsche is finding that OTA software is harder than it looks and forcing recalls through its dealership network.

If Toyota has a weakness, its software and they've always been bad at it. I bet they're finding that the BMS software is extremely complex and not so easy to get right especially to their high standards. They're probably worried about the incentives that will flow to the OEMs driving EV sales and they may not have a competitive offering at that time so they're lobbying to slow down efforts. Will be interesting how the market develops in the next 3 years.
Old 07-27-21, 08:49 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

If the rest are offering "Meh" Toyota's offerings are REALLY pathetic.
VW's EVs are nice not perfect but you have to start somewhere. The Mach E from an engineering standpoint is a bit of a cobbled together mess (especially the cooling/heating system) but they will improve. Very rarely can you hit a grand slam, it takes iterations. Look at the original Prius the electronics are quite hilarious it looks more like a prototype than a production car. But didn't matter Toyota build the foundation and improved.
Haha. Elon time is something else.
Old 07-27-21, 08:55 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
Honestly, I think Toyota knows they mistimed the market. EVs are happening quicker than they anticipated and is now behind the competition. I don't believe that Toyota is ahead in this EV game at all because even the Germans are now finding out that its not hardware prowess that's driving EV development but software expertise. Tesla has it in spades and so they are easily leading...VW had major delays due to software issues and are now just getting it sorted (and they are the biggest auto OEM in the world) and even Porsche is finding that OTA software is harder than it looks and forcing recalls through its dealership network.

If Toyota has a weakness, its software and they've always been bad at it. I bet they're finding that the BMS software is extremely complex and not so easy to get right especially to their high standards. They're probably worried about the incentives that will flow to the OEMs driving EV sales and they may not have a competitive offering at that time so they're lobbying to slow down efforts. Will be interesting how the market develops in the next 3 years.
VW's EVs are nice not perfect but you have to start somewhere. The Mach E from an engineering standpoint is a bit of a cobbled together mess (especially the cooling/heating system) but they will improve. Very rarely can you hit a grand slam, it takes iterations. Look at the original Prius the electronics are quite hilarious it looks more like a prototype than a production car. But didn't matter Toyota build the foundation and improved.

Haha. Elon time is something else.
If the US Govt all of a sudden said all ICEs old and new are banned in a yrs time, what would you do? WHat can you do? I'm probably gonna have to start riding a human powered bike.
Old 07-27-21, 08:56 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by situman
If the US Govt all of a sudden said all ICEs old and new are banned in a yrs time, what would you do? WHat can you do? I'm probably gonna have to start riding a human powered bike.
Thats a moot point...govt is not going to do that. I say don't slow down the pace of innovation, out compete it with your products. BTW, I have an eBike and its awesome
Old 07-27-21, 09:00 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Well the article is referring to Toyota lobbying the US so it is about the US. Whether or not Toyota is behind is another discussion.

Umm how is the electric motors different in a hybrid vs an EV? How is the battery different in an EV vs the ones in a hybrid other than size and capacity? Why does Toyota need an EV, like, right now? How do we know Toyota's first gen isnt going to be better than anybody's 2nd or 3rd gen? Toyota has been producing electric motors and batteries for like 20 yrs. I'm sure they know a thing or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 about electrification. Can the power systems in the various cities handle the huge electrical demand? My office building that was built in the last 20yrs, if more a a few people have those small electric portable heaters running, the fuse box gets tripped and that's in NY.

What is the EV range in a vehicle similar in size to the UX?
Okay, so Toyota knows how to make a hybrid. They already make like 20 different ones. If its so easy to migrate that technology to a full BEV, why havent they done so already? I dont think its as simple as you would think. And yes, Toyota has been using batteries for 20 years, but they are NMH. They are so reluctant to switch to lithium and probably havent invested that much into securing Li Ion batteries

Last edited by RXSF; 07-27-21 at 09:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyota is quietly pushing Congress to slow the shift to electric vehicles