Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota is quietly pushing Congress to slow the shift to electric vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-21, 09:01 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
If the US Govt all of a sudden said all ICEs old and new are banned in a yrs time, what would you do? WHat can you do? I'm probably gonna have to start riding a human powered bike.
They are not going to do that, they are going to make it prohibitively expensive, but electrics are going to be expensive too. Consumers in the US have been absolutely spoiled with low prices on cars and most other goods, besides housing, and now the prices on everything are skyrocketing. Get used to the new reality, lol.
Old 07-27-21, 09:06 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

Hyper inflation has nothing to do with electric vehicles, although EVs are dropping in price.
Old 07-27-21, 09:07 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

AFAIK, all of the BEVs on the markets right now, besides Tesla of course, are still based on heavily modified ICE platforms, so they are half assed compromised efforts. All the hype aside, there are many problems with EV charging infrastructure that are not realistically solvable. Toyota is very pragmatic and they are clearly putting more faith in hydrogen, and it might just very well be the future. We'll see if we live long enough.
Old 07-27-21, 09:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Okay, so Toyota knows how to make a hybrid. They already make like 20 different ones. If its so easy to migrate that technology to a full BEV, why havent they done so already? I dont think its as simple as you would think. And yes, Toyota has been using batteries for 20 years, but they are NMH. They are so reluctant to switch to lithium and probably havent invested that
much into security Li Ion batteries
Because people will not buy electrics cars in the US. It’s a 2% segment. Hybrids are in high demand and plug ins are now becoming more popular…so eventually you’ll see Toyota move into battery electrics.
Old 07-27-21, 09:25 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Because people will not buy electrics cars in the US. It’s a 2% segment. Hybrids are in high demand and plug ins are now becoming more popular…so eventually you’ll see Toyota move into battery electrics.
Why bother, if it's only "2%"? Seriously. Your statement is full of contradictions - you say hybrids/plugins are becoming even more popular, yet Toyota will move into BEV's...........

Last edited by Hameed; 07-27-21 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-27-21, 09:46 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Is Toyota Delaying EV Production on Purpose???

According to a New York Times report, the world’s largest vehicle manufacturer is actively trying to slow down EV adoption in a bid to save its investment in the FCEV and plug-in hybrid segment: https://electricvehicleforums.com/ar...g-ev-adoption/
Old 07-27-21, 09:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Umm how is the electric motors different in a hybrid vs an EV? How is the battery different in an EV vs the ones in a hybrid other than size and capacity? Why does Toyota need an EV, like, right now? How do we know Toyota's first gen isnt going to be better than anybody's 2nd or 3rd gen? Toyota has been producing electric motors and batteries for like 20 yrs. I'm sure they know a thing or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 about electrification. Can the power systems in the various cities handle the huge electrical demand? My office building that was built in the last 20yrs, if more a a few people have those small electric portable heaters running, the fuse box gets tripped and that's in NY.
This is just ridiculous, sorry lol.

What is the EV range in a vehicle similar in size to the UX?
Uh, 300+ miles?
Old 07-27-21, 09:47 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I feel like we are talking in circles but I will make one last comment. I stated that Toyota already makes like 20 different hybrid vehicles ranging from all size and classes. They are great cars and yes, they sell. Does it make sense for them to make more of them? Or, does it make sense for them to diversify their portfolio and create at the very least 1 BEV. Toyota is the richest automaker in the world (I think). They probably could, but they have deliberately chosen not to. Instead, they are on their second generation hydrogen car. What does that tell you about their internal plans and investments? The Japanese government and Toyota had major plans for hydrogen but the adoption has been painfully slow and sales numbers aren't accelerating as fast as BEV. It's very clear to some of us that Toyota made a bet on the wrong technology, and now it will take a while for them to change gears. This idea of having hybrids as a stop gap solution was fine maybe 10 years ago, but is unacceptable now. I am sure high level executives at Toyota are looking 10, 15, 20 years into the future. The fact that other carmakers are already coming out with 2nd generation BEV makes it pretty obvious Toyota was making the wrong moves about a decade ago.
Old 07-27-21, 09:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Just remember, there was a time that hybrids were way less than 2% in the US...and Toyota invested there. Bottom line is Toyota is just woefully behind the curve here.
Old 07-27-21, 09:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I feel like we are talking in circles but I will make one last comment. I stated that Toyota already makes like 20 different hybrid vehicles ranging from all size and classes. They are great cars and yes, they sell. Does it make sense for them to make more of them? Or, does it make sense for them to diversify their portfolio and create at the very least 1 BEV. Toyota is the richest automaker in the world (I think). They probably could, but they have deliberately chosen not to. Instead, they are on their second generation hydrogen car. What does that tell you about their internal plans and investments? The Japanese government and Toyota had major plans for hydrogen but the adoption has been painfully slow and sales numbers aren't accelerating as fast as BEV. It's very clear to some of us that Toyota made a bet on the wrong technology, and now it will take a while for them to change gears. This idea of having hybrids as a stop gap solution was fine maybe 10 years ago, but is unacceptable now. I am sure high level executives at Toyota are looking 10, 15, 20 years into the future. The fact that other carmakers are already coming out with 2nd generation BEV makes it pretty obvious Toyota was making the wrong moves about a decade ago.
It does make sense to diversify their models. And they are. They have already outlined what they expect. 15% of their models will be battery or fuel cell by 2030. So, in 8.5 years, the electric vehicle market will be about 15% from the current 2%. They clearly do not want to be 1st to battery electric as Tesla has lost how much money? But they will be right there next year with their 2022 BEV that they have a concept of.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-27-21 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-27-21, 10:16 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Market share of BEVs in 2030 will the same percentage as BEVs Toyota has in their lineup? That is an amazing coincidence.
Old 07-27-21, 10:19 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Market share of BEVs in 2030 will the same percentage as BEVs Toyota has in their lineup? That is an amazing coincidence.
False logic. Just because Toyota's portfolio has 15% of its fleet as BEV, doesn't mean BEV = 15% of market share. It all depends on portfolio mix and in no way relate to each other.
Old 07-27-21, 10:23 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

they will be right there next year with their 22 BEV that they have a concept of.
Yes, Toyota is not sleeping, much is happening behind the scene.

For 2022 will be the Toyota BZ4X, Toyota plans to expand to around 70 electrified models globally by 2025. This future lineup will feature 15 dedicated BEVs, including seven carrying the bZ (Beyond Zero) brand moniker. In addition, Toyota intends to bring electrification to its pickup truck lineup in the near future.

Old 07-27-21, 10:36 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
This future lineup will feature 15 dedicated BEVs,
Name these 15 models.
Old 07-27-21, 11:01 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm tellin ya, once range is sorted and there are a bunch of good offerings that are mainstream in appearance and feel, buyers are going to prefer EVs.
Sorting out the range comes with a number of caveats. I believe Teslas are already about 90% efficient, so the only practical way to increase the range is to expand the battery capacity, so lets say you double the battery capacity and now it takes twice as long to charge. Even lets says a breakthrough battery tech comes out allowing for near instant charging of such batteries, now you have to have a charger that is able to deliver such vast amount of energy in such short time, and its just not feasible.

The current state of EV tech has more or less plateaued, and it just simply will never work for a huge percentage of drivers.

Quick Reply: Toyota is quietly pushing Congress to slow the shift to electric vehicles