Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota is quietly pushing Congress to slow the shift to electric vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-21, 11:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Range doesnt need to really be increased past 3-400 miles,what has to be addressed is charging infrastructure. We're already seeing charging times getting around 20 minutes.

EVs are coming, like it or not.
Old 07-27-21, 11:19 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Range doesnt need to really be increased past 3-400 miles,what has to be addressed is charging infrastructure. We're already seeing charging times getting around 20 minutes.

The 20 min claim is stretched further than a regular size condom on Michelle Obama, lol.

EVs certainly work for many people, so they will continue to gain market share, but also for a huge chunk of the market they will never work.
Old 07-27-21, 11:27 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Name these 15 models.
You can't see behind the scene??
Old 07-27-21, 11:39 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The 20 min claim is stretched further than a regular size condom on Michelle Obama, lol.

EVs certainly work for many people, so they will continue to gain market share, but also for a huge chunk of the market they will never work.
So you've done EV trips to confirm it takes longer than 20 min right I've done numerous trips at this point and i can tell you that i will charge every 200 miles due to needing a bio break. ~20 minutes later, i'm done charging with an additional ~200 miles. Nobody charges past 80% in an EV for road trips unless they are eating or shopping.
Old 07-27-21, 11:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

As I understand it, 20-minute full-charges are generally available only with high-output 400-volt chargers, which most places don't have. Average household current ranges from 110/120 volts (which requires up to 8 hours or more), or 220-volt, which takes a couple of hours.

That will depend on who we elect in the future, which we probably can't discuss here because of politics.
Old 07-27-21, 11:47 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Name these 15 models.
This was taken directly from Toyotas web site. You should ask them.
Old 07-27-21, 11:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I understand it, 20-minute full-charges are generally available only with high-output 400-volt chargers, which most places don't have. Average household current ranges from 110/120 volts (which requires up to 8 hours or more), or 220-volt, which takes a couple of hours.
And more high output, and even higher output chargers will come.

That will depend on who we elect in the future, which we probably can't discuss here because of politics.
Makes no difference
Old 07-27-21, 12:03 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Makes no difference
lol, hardly

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-28-21 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-27-21, 12:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Makes no difference
Toyota apparently thinks it might make a difference. That's why (per the thread-title) they are lobbying Congress.
Old 07-27-21, 12:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Yes, Toyota is not sleeping, much is happening behind the scene.

For 2022 will be the Toyota BZ4X, Toyota plans to expand to around 70 electrified models globally by 2025. This future lineup will feature 15 dedicated BEVs, including seven carrying the bZ (Beyond Zero) brand moniker. In addition, Toyota intends to bring electrification to its pickup truck lineup in the near future.

There will be a Subaru version of this Toyota. As well as a Lexus version. Looks like it will be in the segment slotted just above the RAV4 Prime. No question that this is somewhat similar to their RAV4 which is the best selling Toyota.
Old 07-27-21, 12:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

And more high output, and even higher output chargers will come.
I think if need be Toyota can produce EVs much faster than high output charger infrastructure can be built. As far as a company lobbying congress, lol, as if Toyota the first or only one. We're basically discussing sensationalist bs.

Old 07-27-21, 12:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

On their site they show 11 upcoming models only 1 is an EV.
Originally Posted by Hameed
You can't see behind the scene??
I can and I see Toyota shoveling a whole pile of BS.
Old 07-27-21, 01:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

As I understand it, 20-minute full-charges are generally available only with high-output 400-volt chargers, which most places don't have. Average household current ranges from 110/120 volts (which requires up to 8 hours or more), or 220-volt, which takes a couple of hours..
Many of Toyota hybrids exceed 400 volts. So it would be no issue at all for Toyota to offer a higher voltage system.

I guess naming is a long way off. Bz5x or Bz6X make sense to me

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-27-21 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-27-21, 01:38 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Sorting out the range comes with a number of caveats. I believe Teslas are already about 90% efficient, so the only practical way to increase the range is to expand the battery capacity, so lets say you double the battery capacity and now it takes twice as long to charge. Even lets says a breakthrough battery tech comes out allowing for near instant charging of such batteries, now you have to have a charger that is able to deliver such vast amount of energy in such short time, and its just not feasible.

The current state of EV tech has more or less plateaued, and it just simply will never work for a huge percentage of drivers.
The hardest part of EV adoption is to change this mentality. I recently had a convo with my friend who said he won’t buy an electric car until he can charge in 5 minutes. I then asked him how many times he has ever needed to drive his gas car from full to zero and refill. He said never. (He doesn’t take road trips). So here in lies the illogical nature of people. He said he wants the option to be able to.

most people will be suing their cars for commuting. If you want to road trip without stopping to eat or pee, you’re more than welcome to rent a gas car.
Old 07-27-21, 01:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
The hardest part of EV adoption is to change this mentality. I recently had a convo with my friend who said he won’t buy an electric car until he can charge in 5 minutes. I then asked him how many times he has ever needed to drive his gas car from full to zero and refill. He said never. (He doesn’t take road trips). So here in lies the illogical nature of people. He said he wants the option to be able to.

most people will be suing their cars for commuting. If you want to road trip without stopping to eat or pee, you’re more than welcome to rent a gas car.
No offence, but I find what you wrote illogical. So even if someone commutes 20-30 miles a day, if they don't have the ability to charge at home they still need to stop by at a charging station daily for maybe 10 minutes, or once a week for an hour, plus extra commute to the charging station, plus potential lines, etc. Huge inconvenience any which way you slice it.

Renting a gas car for a road trip is a stretch for many reasons, especially with today's rental prices.

The reality is EVs simply don't work for everyone, and quite possibly never will.

Quick Reply: Toyota is quietly pushing Congress to slow the shift to electric vehicles