Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota is quietly pushing Congress to slow the shift to electric vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-21, 06:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the 'range issue' isn't so much about range, as it is about recharging time and availability. both of those things should improve a lot, taking away a key objection to EVs.
Totally, and when the car charges in your garage every night, range is just never an issue.

People are looking at EVs through the lens of how they look at their ICE car and it’s just a different thing entirely.

Not a car, but I just bought a whole fleet of electric yard equipment. Mower, blower, trimmer, edger. Seriously…you would never want gas equipment. Cleaner, quieter, no smell, no trips to the gas station to get gas, no gas to store, and no maintenance. No brainer.

I love my V8s, but would I rather have a 4cyl AMG Mercedes or an awesome EV performance car? I’d much rather have the EV.
Old 07-27-21, 06:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

the 'range issue' isn't so much about range, as it is about recharging time and availability. both of those things should improve a lot, taking away a key objection to EVs.
They are connected. A larger battery with longer range will need a longer charge time.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Not a car, but I just bought a whole fleet of electric yard equipment. Mower, blower, trimmer, edger. Seriously…you would never want gas equipment. Cleaner, quieter, no smell, no trips to the gas station to get gas, no gas to store, and no maintenance. No brainer.
But doesn’t work for everyone, so batteries cannot possibly be the only solution. A commercial worksite using machines or equipment 5, 7 or 10 hours per day needs to be working all day… non stop. Same thing with those who don’t have a garage…doesn’t work for everyone

A very large commercial excavator that needs to run all day and one that stays on the job site for days or weeks will take forever to recharge and the size of batteries will be just massive

A fuel cell bus/truck vs a battery bus/truck, one has no down time….the fuel cell bus/truck can work 24hrs non stop in theory, thus is a far superior money-making workhorse.

Toyota got it right…batteries cannot possibly be the only solution

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-27-21 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-27-21, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
But doesn’t work for everyone, so batteries cannot possibly be the only solution. A commercial worksite using machines or equipment 5, 7 or 10 hours per day needs to be working all day… non stop. Same thing with those who don’t have a garage.
The only person who is saying people want this to be the only solution is you. For the majority of private homeowners electric equipment is just better, for professional use it’s not…yet.
Old 07-27-21, 06:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

for professional use it’s not…yet.
Will never be. IMO

]
The only person who is saying people want this to be the only solution is you. For the majority of private homeowners electric equipment is just better, for professional use it’s not…yet.
so you agree batteries will not work for everyone when it comes to cars ownership?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-27-21 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-27-21, 06:42 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

When the government throws billions or possibly hundreds of billions of dollars behind one solution and shut out other solutions, that's pretty much what they are saying. Toyota was just asking got these other solutions to be included, and the NYT somehow spun this into being some kind of mission by Toyota to sabotage EVs.
Old 07-27-21, 06:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Well it is a brainer depending on the use. I now have DeWalt drill, driver, circular saw, pole (chain) saw, all using the same 20V batteries so it's very convenient. I have a bunch of trees where i live, which like to drop branches which are sometimes massive. No electric chainsaw is up to the job of my echo 24" gas chainsaw, yet. Batteries would have to improve a lot for a chainsaw that powerful to last more than a few seconds unless the battery is as big as my car which would be somewhat impractical.

Another good example is pressure washers... electric ones are coming along but they're still really weak and pretty useless except for the lightest of jobs.

I also have an ancient gasoline golf cart which i built a wooden 'deck' on the back so i can cart branches to my burn pile. I think it has a 3 or so gallon gasoline tank which lasts me about a YEAR of use, and i use this thing a lot. And it's POWERFUL. I've loaded that sucker with hundreds of pounds of logs and it still gets going.

but i agree with you on the many benefits and look forward to getting rid of the rest of my gasoline tools over time.
Old 07-27-21, 06:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
When the government throws billions or possibly hundreds of billions of dollars behind one solution and shut out other solutions, that's pretty much what they are saying. Toyota was just asking got these other solutions to be included, and the NYT somehow spun this into being some kind of mission by Toyota to sabotage EVs.
exactly. one would think by how it's being portrayed that toyota is some evil corporation.
Old 07-27-21, 06:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Will never be. IMO
I wouldn’t say never. I would say that long term, gasoline use will be very rare.

so you agree batteries will not work for everyone when it comes to cars ownership?
For private car owners? I would say it can and will work for everyone.

When it comes to commercial use, trucking, etc I would say it would be much harder, but I wouldn’t at all say it’s impossible.

Well it is a brainer depending on the use. I now have DeWalt drill, driver, circular saw, pole (chain) saw, all using the same 20V batteries so it's very convenient. I have a bunch of trees where i live, which like to drop branches which are sometimes massive. No electric chainsaw is up to the job of my echo 24" gas chainsaw, yet. Batteries would have to improve a lot for a chainsaw that powerful to last more than a few seconds unless the battery is as big as my car which would be somewhat impractical.

Another good example is pressure washers... electric ones are coming along but they're still really weak and pretty useless except for the lightest of jobs.

I also have an ancient gasoline golf cart which i built a wooden 'deck' on the back so i can cart branches to my burn pile. I think it has a 3 or so gallon gasoline tank which lasts me about a YEAR of use, and i use this thing a lot. And it's POWERFUL. I've loaded that sucker with hundreds of pounds of logs and it still gets going.

but i agree with you on the many benefits and look forward to getting rid of the rest of my gasoline tools over time.
I would say the tech will get there. Just a few years ago electric lawnmowers were a joke, and today that’s a totally different story. I would wager an electric chain saw that would meet or exceed your expectations will be along before too long. Same with a pressure washer.
Old 07-27-21, 06:59 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Wanna cut roughly 1/3rd of daily transportation emissions at the stroke of a pen? Force companies to allow workers to remote in from home like they did during the pandemic. They have no problem pushing change like this on the common citizen when they feel it makes sense. That actually has been proven to make sense for everyone involved, yet is completely ignored.
Old 07-27-21, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I have to agree with Bit. Except for some places like California that have formally banned gas-powered leaf-blowers and other lawn equipment, how many lawn-maintenance/mowing companies do you see with electric equipment? Wherever the law still allows it, even with complaints about noise, these companies almost invariably use gas-powered equipment for a reason....it simply works better and is more efficient, even if it's noisier, more polluting, and tends to stir up impurities in the air by the sheer force of their air-blasts.

(And, yes, I get my vehicle out of the way when I see or hear them coming LOL.....the blasts can result in paint/trim damage if stones/gravel are thrown around).

Old 07-27-21, 07:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to agree with Bit. Except for some places like California that have formally banned gas-powered leaf-blowers and other lawn equipment, how many lawn-maintenance/mowing companies do you see with electric equipment? Wherever the law still allows it, even with complaints about noise, these companies almost invariably use gas-powered equipment for a reason....it simply works better and is more efficient, even if it's noisier, more polluting, and tends to stir up impurities in the air by the sheer force of their air-blasts.
I'm not saying it won't happen, but it will take time. Check out this company... not only will it mow electrically, it's self-driving too and aimed at commercial mowing.

https://www.grazemowing.com/
Old 07-27-21, 07:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I would say the tech will get there. Just a few years ago electric lawnmowers were a joke, and today that’s a totally different story. I would wager an electric chain saw that would meet or exceed your expectations will be along before too long. Same with a pressure washer.
not sure what you mean by 'before too long' but sure, pretty obvious that eventually it's all highly likely.
Old 07-27-21, 07:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, running a construction company I have a ton of electric tools and equipment, and of course most of my job site tools are cordless electric. However I do have several welding machines, and guess what do I often end up bringing to a job site to run these machines? A gas generator, lol. A lot of buildings, and I'm talking about skyscrapers in NYC, don't even have a reliable 15amp outlets readily available in the common areas. This is a very common practice among welders across the US, most welders trucks are equipped with a generator.

I've said it many times before, I have nothing against electric cars, I almost bought one years ago, but I am also like to think that I am very realistic. Building electric infrastructure is going to be anything but quick, and many of us may not live to see the day when EVs become the majority of cars on the road.
Old 07-27-21, 07:59 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I only read a few posts on here but I'll just chime in.

EV's would be way more popular if two things happened:

1) Infrastructure was greatly increased, mostly to eliminate range anxiety. It's nice that if you're down to a 1/4 tank of gas, drive to a gas station and take 2 minutes to fill-up and have enough to drive another 500-600 miles. If charging an EV could be more like this method, it'll GREATLY help.

2) Way more options. The only ones now are Tesla's with their crappy giant screen and garbage tech/inferior build quality, and crappy small cars like the Leaf and Bolt (or Volt, whatever it is). The F-150 may be an EV but I don't consider it since I don't want a truck.

Old 07-27-21, 08:07 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

If the product is better, people will buy it. Pretty simple. I have had a ton of Ryobi electric tools now for years because they work well and meet my residential needs. Not so much for the electric riding mower.

I do have a question for somebody to answer. Anybody.

If we need electric cars now and everything needs to be electric because the earth is dying and it's irreversible in X number of years, why do we place tariffs on Chinese solar panels that are imported to intentionally make them more expensive? Shouldn't we be buying them in bulk in an attempt to get a discount?

Quick Reply: Toyota is quietly pushing Congress to slow the shift to electric vehicles