Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus ct200h or prius c?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-21 | 07:33 PM
Jbrow327
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus ct200h or prius c?

Which one would you recommend? I hear the prius gets much better mpg than the lexus. It will be used for food delivery work as my full time job and road trips. My budget is up to 20k. I read on the lexus forum that the ct200h mpg is kind of all over the place. Mpg is my number one decision making factor.
Old 07-28-21 | 11:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

I was able to get 50+ mpg on a regular basis with all the CT loaners I had. I was going out of my way to do it, but it was doable. I'm sure the Prius could do somewhat better, but 50 mpg for work commuting is plenty good. I also find the CT far more of a vehicle than the Prius. But if it's simply for work chores, there's really no point in making Lexus prestige an option.
Old 07-29-21 | 07:38 AM
Hoovey689

43mpg is the best I've experienced with a CT. High 30's low 40's is common with the CT, though it is possible to get better. If mpg is your #1 factor then the Prius is probably the way to go. I prefer the more buttoned down feel of the CT though to the Prius
Old 07-29-21 | 08:00 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Depends on your area/availability. But starting to see some 2016 Prius are available under $20K and would a huge jump in terms of drive and refinement (TNGA platform) + latest hybrid for the model line.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/5...-e8880ee167cc/
Old 07-29-21 | 08:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

the driving experience with both is so horrible i'd rather walk and get even better mileage.

on a more serious note, i guess you don't have to deliver a whole bunch of stuff as the room in either isn't great.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-29-21 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-30-21 | 01:36 AM
Lead Lap

Is this for Uber delivery?
Old 07-30-21 | 01:39 AM
Jbrow327
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 703
Is this for Uber delivery?
doordash, ubereats, and Grubhub. Food stays in the bag and not on seats ect.
Old 07-30-21 | 07:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The CT is a much nicer car (still not a great car), but if gas mileage is the primary concern I would get the Prius C.
Old 07-30-21 | 11:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the driving experience with both is so horrible i'd rather walk and get even better mileage.
With all due respect, if you are like most people, I don't think it would take very long walking in that Florida heat and humidity (and tons of sweat) before you changed your mind. Here in the D.C. area, when when it gets bad here, comparable to Florida's interior heat and mugginess away from coastal sea-breezes, you can start sweating almost the moment you walk out the door. Having said that, however, I'll agree that the driving characteristics of most Prius models I've sampled are not very pleasant. It beats walking, but not by much LOL.

Old 07-30-21 | 11:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jbrow327
Which one would you recommend? I hear the prius gets much better mpg than the lexus. It will be used for food delivery work as my full time job and road trips. My budget is up to 20k. I read on the lexus forum that the ct200h mpg is kind of all over the place. Mpg is my number one decision making factor.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
The CT is a much nicer car (still not a great car), but if gas mileage is the primary concern I would get the Prius C.

As a daily driver, I agree with Steve (SW17LS)....the CT would probably be a little more pleasant overall., especially with its superb NuLuxe upholstery. It sits extremely low to the ground, however, and speed bumps and potholes could be a problem. And the CT has one potential problem the Prius doesn't. Lexus is not as likely to keep spare parts for it as long as Toyota does for Prius models, since the CT, unlike the Prius, sold in comparatively low numbers in the U.S. market.

And, unless the situation is time-critical, right now may not be a very good time to look at any vehicle purchase. Because of high demand and low supply, prices are way up on both new and used vehicles.
Old 07-30-21 | 12:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Lexus is not as likely to keep spare parts for it as long as Toyota does for Prius models, since the CT, unlike the Prius, sold in comparatively low numbers in the U.S. market.
This makes no sense. The CT is still in production. the parts are still being made.
Old 07-30-21 | 12:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jbrow327
As luck would have it. There was a Prius C in front of me today. WTH was Toyota thinking by releasing this thing in North America You should get the CT
Old 07-30-21 | 01:10 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
As luck would have it. There was a Prius C in front of me today. WTH was Toyota thinking by releasing this thing in North America You should get the CT
$$$. The Prius C and V were launched at a time when the Prius was still experiencing strong sales. It was the third member of the Prius family and was based on the Toyota Aqua in Japan. It was priced lower than the conventional Prius and had higher fuel economy (at the time). Easy decision for beancounters
Old 07-30-21 | 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This makes no sense. The CT is still in production. the parts are still being made.
It is not available brand-new in the U.S. any longer. U.S. Federal law says that automakers have to stock non-emissions-related parts for only a limited period of time....I think it is seven or eight years. Emission parts have to be available a little longer. You may have a point, though, about some parts possibly be ordered from overseas if still available.
Old 07-31-21 | 02:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It is not available brand-new in the U.S. any longer. U.S. Federal law says that automakers have to stock non-emissions-related parts for only a limited period of time....I think it is seven or eight years. Emission parts have to be available a little longer. You may have a point, though, about some parts possibly be ordered from overseas if still available.
I am quite sure Lexus CT owners are fine.

Quick Reply: Lexus ct200h or prius c?