Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis GV60 EV

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-21, 05:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think this Genesis looks good in some colours but not so good in some other. The beige I do like. Not digging white. The shape TBD until viewed in person.
Old 09-30-21, 05:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
Full specs are out. Weird that the highest performance version is still some 150 HP less than the EV6 GT. And as I predicted, it's also shorter than the Ioniq 5 and EV6 by a good 5-8 inches.
Leaves room for an upgrade package or sport version later on.
Old 09-30-21, 05:14 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

This is a Model Y competitor, so 4 seconds is still faster than the MY Long Range (4.8s), but the MY Performance goes to 60 in 3.5s, so once again the EV6 motors would have fit the Genesis like a glove. The only justification I can think of is that Genesis doesn't want this to be priced more at the top end than its larger offerings like the GV80, since the GV60 is technically the entry-level vehicle of their brand.

I'm pretty sure the G70 and Kia Stinger are going to be replaced in their next gen by EV's that share the same platform as the Ioniq 6.

A Model Y is much bigger than the Gv70 also. The regular dual motor Model Y with boost package is about 4s to 60 just for some context. It's more of a Polestar 2 competitor and about the same performance specs but seems a bit pricier. Just makes the Kia version that much more attractive in terms of price and features.
Old 09-30-21, 05:30 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
A Model Y is much bigger than the Gv70 also. The regular dual motor Model Y with boost package is about 4s to 60 just for some context. It's more of a Polestar 2 competitor and about the same performance specs but seems a bit pricier. Just makes the Kia version that much more attractive in terms of price and features.
The Model Y is roughly the same size as the EV6. The GV60 is shorter, but it shares the same wheelbase and battery as the EV6, and the their regular version specs are the same so it's a wash.

Polestar 2 is a sedan and Model 3 competitor, so again makes no sense to compare to. And the Model Y boost package makes it 4.3 seconds, which is still marginally slower than GV60 performance.

Performance aside, the GV60's interior and tech is still far better than the EV6 and Ioniq 5. It even has wireless charging, which no other EV has to my knowledge.
Old 09-30-21, 05:37 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Perhaps, but the GV60 with the larger motors is already called the "Performance Model" which is marketing speak for sport version.
Old 09-30-21, 05:38 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

The Model Y is roughly the same size as the EV6. The GV60 is shorter, but it shares the same wheelbase and battery as the EV6, and the LR specs are the same so it's a wash.

Polestar 2 is a sedan and Model 3 competitor, so again makes no sense to compare to. And the Model Y boost package makes it 4.3 seconds, which is still marginally slower than GV60 performance.
I don't think this is anywhere near the Model Y in size. Let's wait until we get interior dimensions but the Model Y has useable 7 seat configuration because of packaging. Also, that 4.3 has been super conservative. People have been running near 4s flat on many draggys on the forum. Tesla has been artificially using slower times to promote the Performance version. In real world tests, it's only 0.5s slower than the Performance version with the boost package.
Old 09-30-21, 05:46 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't think this is anywhere near the Model Y in size. Let's wait until we get interior dimensions but the Model Y has useable 7 seat configuration because of packaging. Also, that 4.3 has been super conservative. People have been running near 4s flat on many draggys on the forum. Tesla has been artificially using slower times to promote the Performance version. In real world tests, it's only 0.5s slower than the Performance version with the boost package.
I've seen the MY 7 seater and "usable" is stretching it lol. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done, just like the Model S "third row."

Either way, I don't think interior space makes much of a difference or is all that relevant here. Heck, the MY wheelbase is shorter than both the EV6 and GV60.
Old 09-30-21, 05:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I've seen the MY 7 seater and "usable" is stretching it lol. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done, just like the Model S "third row."

Either way, I don't think interior space makes much of a difference or is all that relevant here.
Even outside of interior packaging, the Model Y is 10 inches bigger which is sizable. Maybe Genesis didn't want to directly compete hence the smaller size even compared to the Kia? Nonetheless, I think it's a compelling package and wish it success because I really like what the brand is doing.
Old 09-30-21, 05:58 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Even outside of interior packaging, the Model Y is 10 inches bigger which is sizable. Maybe Genesis didn't want to directly compete hence the smaller size even compared to the Kia? Nonetheless, I think it's a compelling package and wish it success because I really like what the brand is doing.
Those 10 inches don't go to the wheelbase, which is what matters for the platform and performance. EV6 and GV60 both have the same wheelbase (114 inches), which is longer than the Model Y's (113 inches).

I mentioned it early in the thread, but I believe Genesis kept it shorter because they didn't want it to step on the toes of the GV70 (186 inches). Of course this size discrepancy is more artificial than anything, because mechanically its layout is pretty much identical to the EV6.

Unfortunately, what took the biggest hit with the shrunk size are the looks. The GV60 looks like a blob compared to the EV6 and Ioniq 5 because it's substantially shorter than both of them but still has to have a high roof to make space for people.
Old 09-30-21, 06:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps, but the GV60 with the larger motors is already called the "Performance Model" which is marketing speak for sport version.
So maybe a Performance GT….or Performance Sport.
Old 09-30-21, 06:08 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Either way, I don't think interior space makes much of a difference or is all that relevant here. Heck, the MY wheelbase is shorter than both the EV6 and GV60.
I wonder how that backseat feels with a lightly tinted back glass. I remember a old toyota coupe my aunt had (think it may have been the paseo), the sun hitting from the top was extremely uncomfortable in the back seat. Didn't help the ac wasn't that great, I'm sure the ac in the model Y would be great. Does the Model Y have those sunshades found in some luxury cars?
Old 09-30-21, 06:11 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blaze876
I wonder how that backseat feels with a lightly tinted back glass. I remember a old toyota coupe my aunt had (think it may have been the paseo), the sun hitting from the top was extremely uncomfortable in the back seat. Didn't help the ac wasn't that great, I'm sure the ac in the model Y would be great. Does the Model Y have those sunshades found in some luxury cars?
I don't think any Tesla comes with sunshades even for the pano roof, it's all tinted glass.
Old 09-30-21, 08:45 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

In motion, it's not bad. Stands out on the road more than I expected, and also looks bigger than I expected despite being smaller than its Hyundai/Kia siblings. Giving some of those minivans a run for their money.

This might also be one of the few cars that looks better with the smaller lower-trim wheels than the full-size 21's.

Last edited by Motorola; 09-30-21 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-30-21, 09:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Full specs are out. Weird that the highest performance version is still some 150 HP less than the EV6 GT. And as I predicted, it's also shorter than the Ioniq 5 and EV6 by a good 5-8 inches.
i think you also mentioned it has the same wheelbase, so it's basically shorter front and rear overhangs and thus less cargo space in back, but i love the proportions.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Surprising that their performance model is so slow. 0-60 in 4s is rather pedestrian for an EV.
4s pedestrian... lol 99% of people have never experienced 4s 0-60 in their lives.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
exactly.
Old 09-30-21, 09:25 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think you also mentioned it has the same wheelbase, so it's basically shorter front and rear overhangs and thus less cargo space in back, but i love the proportions.
It has the shorter wheelbase of the EV6 but also the shorter overhangs of the Ioniq 5, which is how it's able to be shorter than both. I don't love how it looks, but I understand that Genesis had to proportion it in this compromised manner so that it doesn't step on the toes of the GV70 in size.

Credit to Genesis where credit is due- it's much more interesting in-and-out than the Q4 E-Tron, which is probably its most direct rival.

Last edited by Motorola; 09-30-21 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Genesis GV60 EV