Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Avalon Is Dead In The US After 2022 Model Year

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-21, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I remember this. It was hard for the Avalon to shake that image, preventing it from being more appealing to younger buyers.

The idea that younger people won't drive sedans of this class is nonsense....that is a stereotype that is often claimed but inaccurate.

For one thing, although many of them, for various reasons, don't have the money for new vehicles, look at all of the Millennials that are still running around in older Buicks.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/m8ovdek/
Old 08-03-21, 08:23 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as I know, with the axing of the Impala, Lacrosse, Taurus, Cadenza, Azera, and now the Avalon, if I'm not mistaken, that leaves NO large sedans (by today's standards) left in the American market in the moderately-priced class....unless one wants to do what Steve did and look at six-figure (or near six-figure) sedans. The K900, CT6, and Continental formerly occupied the upmarket large-sedan class...now they are gone (or going). The Genesis G90 is left......but it is also clearly upmarket and priced closer to six-figures than something like the Avalon.

Yep....sad day.
Motorola mentioned it, the Maxima may be the last
Old 08-03-21, 08:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Motorola mentioned it, the Maxima may be the last

Yeah, Thanks.....forgot the Maxima. It's not really that big, though...only slightly larger then the Altima. And it is basically a sport-sedan, not necessarily comfort-oriented.
Old 08-03-21, 08:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

As far as I know, with the axing of the Impala, Lacrosse, Taurus, Cadenza, Azera, and now the Avalon, if I'm not mistaken, that leaves NO large sedans (by today's standards) left in the American market in the moderately-priced class....unless one wants to do what Steve did and look at six-figure (or near six-figure) sedans. The K900, CT6, and Continental formerly occupied the upmarket large-sedan class...now they are gone (or going). The Genesis G90 is left......but it is also clearly upmarket and priced closer to six-figures than something like the Avalon.

Yep....sad day.
I would consider the Chrysler 300 and maybe the Nissan Maxima to be large sedans that are still available at a reasonable price.
Old 08-03-21, 08:32 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 516 Likes on 352 Posts

Great car. 300K trouble free miles. Big back seat.
Owners love 'em.

I dunno the price difference between the Avalon and Lexus ES350.
The front of the Avalon got pretty bad, though.
Old 08-03-21, 08:33 AM
ashschwin
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

Never cared much for the Avalon either, especially the new models that are trying too hard with the ridiculous 'TRD packages'
Old 08-03-21, 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I would consider the Chrysler 300 and maybe the Nissan Maxima to be large sedans that are still available at a reasonable price.

From what I understand, the 300 is on borrowed time. And, yes, I forgot the Maxima......Hoovey mentioned that. It is, however, at least IMO, a sport-sedan, not really in the same comfort-oriented class as some of those former competitors.
Old 08-03-21, 08:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Makes sense. Just doesnt make sense to sell this car alongside the ES in a climate with shrinking sedan sales.

Yep....sad day.
Just buy a Lexus ES. Its exactly the same car except even better for a little more money. The Genesis G80 also has a great ride and great space.
Old 08-03-21, 08:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The idea that younger people won't drive sedans of this class is nonsense....that is a stereotype that is often claimed but inaccurate.

For one thing, although many of them, for various reasons, don't have the money for new vehicles, look at all of the Millennials that are still running around in older Buicks.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/m8ovdek/
The problem is there just aren't enough Kyle Ferlita's out there who are interested in 18 year old Buick Century's etc. A model/brand can't survive if it relies on this model.
Old 08-03-21, 08:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

The numbers show the story. Its fine to say "people want to drive sedans" but they aren't buying sedans. They build what people want. Sales of the Avalon and the ES have come down considerably over the last few years, it just makes sense to make a stand with just one model since the cars are so closely related.

And again Mike, you yourself abandoned sedans for a crossover...
Old 08-03-21, 09:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The numbers show the story. Its fine to say "people want to drive sedans" but they aren't buying sedans. They build what people want. Sales of the Avalon and the ES have come down considerably over the last few years, it just makes sense to make a stand with just one model since the cars are so closely related.
exactly.

And again Mike, you yourself abandoned sedans for a crossover...
QED.

mmarshall - you said the big sedan was not maneuverable, and it's obviously not as handy without the rear cargo space a cuv/suv can offer. and not as easy to get in and out of.
Old 08-03-21, 09:06 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

What is with all that body cladding nonsense. A Avalon buyer does not want a car that looks like a transformer in mid change, who thinks that looks good or is a good idea, a fan of Fast and Furious? It is a shame to lose another sedan though I was never into Avalons, I always thought they held back to avoid taking ES sales and I never saw many on the road even when they were first introduced.
Old 08-03-21, 09:08 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

From what I understand, the 300 is on borrowed time. And, yes, I forgot the Maxima......Hoovey mentioned that. It is, however, at least IMO, a sport-sedan, not really in the same comfort-oriented class as some of those former competitors.
I see 300's everywhere, they should keep it going, just improve it. I doubt many of their buyers care if it sits on a old platform.
Old 08-03-21, 09:24 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

While the charger eating all the large sedan sales, 300 can still live on or change to a magnum
Old 08-03-21, 09:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I see 300's everywhere, they should keep it going, just improve it. I doubt many of their buyers care if it sits on a old platform.

Oh, I certainly agree. The automakers will probably regret the loss of most, if not all, of the sedans if or when the crossover-craze ends.

Bob Lutz, though (an auto executive whom I admit I have a lot of respect for), disagrees.....he thinks crossovers are here to stay, that it is not just a passing fad, and that they are simply replacing the former sedan market because of greater versatility.

Quick Reply: Toyota Avalon Is Dead In The US After 2022 Model Year