Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Avalon Is Dead In The US After 2022 Model Year

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-21, 09:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

If the crossover craze ends and people shift back to sedans, that will be a gradual process and they will simply develop sedans and phase out crossovers. No big deal.

In a business you cant keep producing products that people don't want simply in case one day they may want them.
Old 08-03-21, 09:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The idea that younger people won't drive sedans of this class is nonsense....that is a stereotype that is often claimed but inaccurate.
You can't think that younger buyers, for the most part, want an Avalon? A new one, I mean. Not a used one as a first car.
Old 08-03-21, 10:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Oh, I certainly agree. The automakers will probably regret the loss of most, if not all, of the sedans if or when the crossover-craze ends.
so they're supposed to tie up billions of capital in largely idle production lines for sedans no one wants?

Bob Lutz, though (an auto executive whom I admit I have a lot of respect for), disagrees.....he thinks crossovers are here to stay, that it is not just a passing fad, and that they are simply replacing the former sedan market because of greater versatility.
not exactly a genius insight since crossover and suvs have been here for 30 years, i'd say they're here to stay.

Old 08-03-21, 11:42 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I feel the Venza should have been the Avalon replacement and provided a good size up for a comfortable 2-row Midsize utility. Unfortunately, while Venza got some of the premium style and interior, the size is nearly the exact same as a RAV4 Hybrid. Just a touch small in my opinion.
The original Venza should of been the Avalon replacement since its a cv...Since its between a minivan & s/v, kinda similar to Ford's freestyle/taurus x. The new Venza is just one more similar size choice for Toyota to throw out for to the mass....I don't think even if Toyota distanced (platform/style) the Avalon from the Camry it would do any good. . . Would of been kool to see a Avalon on lengthed GS platform w/ a little more room....Toyota being conservtive its not happening....
Old 08-03-21, 11:43 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Oh, I certainly agree. The automakers will probably regret the loss of most, if not all, of the sedans if or when the crossover-craze ends.

Bob Lutz, though (an auto executive whom I admit I have a lot of respect for), disagrees.....he thinks crossovers are here to stay, that it is not just a passing fad, and that they are simply replacing the former sedan market because of greater versatility.
I agree. The demographics of the average affluent buyer is changing. The population is aging and so I suspect older folks, especially those with back troubles, arthritis, bad knees, etc. don't want to be crouching over into low sedans and coupes. They want to slide right into the seat which makes crossovers more desirable.

10-20 years ago I would have purchased a BMW 3/5 series or an X3/5/6, today I prefer an RX over cramped sedans/quasi sports vehicles with tight suspension and steering. I am stuck in traffic with everyone else, so I don't need the added performance characteristics. They are great cars, but like I said, the population is aging and so are the needs of the typical buyers. Hell Tesla drivers want the car to drive for them.

Last edited by chuckNX; 08-03-21 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-03-21, 11:54 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Well might be another 2 decades for that to happen, when the kids of their SUV driving parents grows up and buy their own. Like "eww I dont want to drive old people SUVs" blah blah blah.
Old 08-03-21, 12:01 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Well might be another 2 decades for that to happen, when the kids of their SUV driving parents grows up and buy their own. Like "eww I dont want to drive old people SUVs" blah blah blah.
I don't think kids being born today will even buy cars. They will use ride sharing/self-driving technology and gravitate towards communities with everything close by. I know many 18-25 year old's who don't even want a car. Uber or walking is easy and less problematic especially if you factor in car insurance for that age group and avoiding DUI's, etc.

Old 08-03-21, 12:04 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckNX
I don't think kids being born today will even buy cars. They will use ride sharing/self-driving technology and gravitate towards communities with everything close by. I know many 18-25 year old's who don't even want a car. Uber or walking is easy and less problematic especially if you factor in car insurance for that age group and avoiding DUI's, etc.
Yea thats fine and all but when adult life comes along, they will change their minds, even if it means dragging them along kicking and screaming.
Old 08-03-21, 12:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I remember this. It was hard for the Avalon to shake that image, preventing it from being more appealing to younger buyers.
Do we agree that Toyota superiority killed the Buick sedan?
Old 08-03-21, 12:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Yea thats fine and all but when adult life comes along, they will change their minds, even if it means dragging them along kicking and screaming.
This is accurate.
Old 08-03-21, 12:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't know if it killed it or not but it sure didnt help it at all.
Old 08-03-21, 12:23 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

A bit off topic, but I really don't understand those who seem to think the manufacturers will be unable to bring sedans back if the demand for them returns. Just as pretty much all manufacturers have added CUV after CUV to their lineup, they will do the same with sedans if there is a need. They're not crossing some "point of no return" when they kill of sedans in their lineup.

If I were looking for something in this class, I would have been hard pressed to find a compelling reason to chose an Avalon over an ES.
Old 08-03-21, 12:30 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckNX
Yeah well the current conditions are poking holes in that logic, with driver shortages, longer wait times, and crazy surge pricing.
Old 08-03-21, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not on my part, we don't. While it is true that demand for sedans went down, it is also true that GM's arrogance killed their sedans...they killed them because they wanted people in higher-profit SUVs. People obviously can't buy what isn't offered. And it cost them the largest and most widespread UAW strike in 50 years.
Old 08-03-21, 12:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

By then, government regulations probably won't allow them to change their minds. We are already starting to see the eventual deaths of ICEs.....and, after that, of privately-owned vehicles, period, even EVs.

Quick Reply: Toyota Avalon Is Dead In The US After 2022 Model Year