Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Avalon Is Dead In The US After 2022 Model Year

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-21, 12:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If the crossover craze ends and people shift back to sedans, that will be a gradual process and they will simply develop sedans and phase out crossovers. No big deal.
Other than some electric sedans, this will never happen in the United States
Old 08-03-21, 12:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not on my part, we don't. While it is true that demand for sedans went down, it is also true that GM's arrogance killed their sedans...they killed them because they wanted people in higher-profit SUVs. People obviously can't buy what isn't offered. And it cost them the largest and most widespread UAW strike in 50 years.
I simply do not understand how you can continue to make these statements when you yourself abandoned sedans for a crossover. If this was so important to you, you should have continued to support sedans by continuing to buy them. Talk is cheap.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Agreed.
Old 08-03-21, 12:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I think the sports sedan never left the market. Its a good compromise on almost sports car handling, with functionality that crossovers can't begin to match, so the 3 series and its competitors will always have a large market. The midsize sedan market is the most in trouble because a Rav4 is a better experience than a basic Camry for family duties for many people.
Old 08-03-21, 01:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think the sports sedan never left the market..
It is still shrinking. The US sales of the 3 series are about 1/2 of what they once were. Lexus IS was only partially redesign. Eventually the smaller players will exit as well.

Agreed.
When the price is comparable. The moment someone sits in a crossover after sitting in a sedan....a light bulb usually turns on.

Now Toyota (I don't know other brands as well) is gonna convert their Corolla owners into Corolla Cross owners....same interior, same power train just larger and every so slightly higher off the ground

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-03-21 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-03-21, 01:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

When the price is comparable. The moment someone sits in a crossover after sitting in a sedan....a light bulb usually turns on.
Even me, I get closer and closer to a crossover every time I trade.
Old 08-03-21, 01:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Even me, I get closer and closer to a crossover every time I trade.
At some point you might. Who knows? I do notice that crossovers are getting lower and sleeker than they were in the past. Saw an RX today, it’s more like a large tall sitting sedan vs a large tall sitting suv. Highlander is more like that too. (Complete opposite of the Palisade In my eyes). Nissan Murano is another one. Venza too
Old 08-03-21, 01:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

It is still shrinking. The US sales of the 3 series are about 1/2 of what they once were. Lexus IS was only partially redesign. Eventually the smaller players will exit as well.

Now Toyota (I don't know other brands as well) is gonna convert their Corolla owners into Corolla Cross owners....same interior, same power train just larger and every so slightly higher off the ground
Sure some went to the X3 but the sport buyers have largely remained because crossover have sucky handling relative to a nice sports sedan.
Old 08-03-21, 01:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

At some point you might. Who knows? I do notice that crossovers are getting lower and sleeker than they were in the past. Saw an RX today, it’s more like a large tall sitting sedan vs a large tall sitting suv. Highlander is more like that too. (Complete opposite of the Palisade In my eyes). Nissan Murano is another one. Venza too
I would imagine that I will eventually, especially as sedan choices get fewer and further between. Now that I've scratched the S Class itch it might be time to scratch the Range Rover itch next time
Old 08-03-21, 01:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not on my part, we don't. While it is true that demand for sedans went down, it is also true that GM's arrogance killed their sedans...they killed them because they wanted people in higher-profit SUVs. People obviously can't buy what isn't offered. And it cost them the largest and most widespread UAW strike in 50 years.
They killed them, because there’s no money to be made. And usually they kill them, when there is a redesign somewhere on the horizon . As for the Toyota Avalon, this is not so much about killing the current model, but it’s about making sure that everybody knows there will be no next generation model.

Smart companies, know when to keep something, or cancel something. A global pandemic that is not slowing, inflation, instability everywhere, Toyota pulls the plug, as they move the money, that they would spend on this new Avalon to something totally different.

General motors, it’s not a very admirable company in my opinion. Their legacy of what they did in the 1980s and 1990s is appalling. However when they cancelled their large sedans, it was one of the best things that they have ever done in this century. They are finally making money, and good money.

What is astonishing, is that you are fighting for sedans, big sedans, and yet you bought a small crossover

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-03-21 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-03-21, 01:49 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

3series used to be sedan, wagon, coupe and convertible.
Now to equal those #s just add together 3 and 4series. The wagon was replaced by X3.

I chose the X3 over the 5series sedan because its way more spacious in 2nd row as a I have 2 child seats otherwise I prefer sedans.
Old 08-03-21, 01:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Yea thats fine and all but when adult life comes along, they will change their minds, even if it means dragging them along kicking and screaming.
or they get that great job offer in rochester ny and realize in november there's no way in hell they're waiting for a bus or even an uber and want their own car.

Old 08-03-21, 02:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

They killed them, because there’s no money to be made. And usually they kill them, when there is a redesign somewhere on the horizon . As for the Toyota Avalon, this is not so much about killing the current model, but it’s about making sure that everybody knows there will be no next generation model.
Same general principle.

General motors, it’s not a very admirable company in my opinion. Their legacy of what they did in the 1980s and 1990s is appalling.
First, as far a building junk, GM wasn't alone...other companies, particularly Chrysler, despite Lee Iacocca's smooth-talk, also built very unreliable products back then. So did Fiat, Renault, and Yugo, until they were forced out of the U.S. market. Second, GM's Saturn division, at least in its first decade, was anything BUT appalling....it set new standards in customer-satisfaction and marketing.

What is astonishing, is that you are fighting for sedans, big sedans, and yet you bought a small crossover

Nope. Not astonishing at all. I think of more than just myself. I am not a selfish person.
Old 08-03-21, 04:21 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckNX
I don't think kids being born today will even buy cars. They will use ride sharing/self-driving technology and gravitate towards communities with everything close by. I know many 18-25 year old's who don't even want a car. Uber or walking is easy and less problematic especially if you factor in car insurance for that age group and avoiding DUI's, etc.
It'll be a long time before American infrastructure can make way for car-less traveling. Europeans can do it because their infrastructure was entirely rebuilt following WWII with city commuting in mind, which is why they still have trains en masse, while the U.S. is perpetually long stretches of highway that connect cities where people work to suburbs where they live, necessitating everyone to have a car.

The U.S. has a far better chance of becoming 100% EV than it does moving to sustainable public transportation.

Younger people are moving to cities, but that won't be the case anymore once they have a family and kids to take care of. Cities are just not sustainable for that lifestyle, at least not in the U.S. Those families who do live within cities tend to be more poor and do so by necessity (i.e. their job requires it), not choice. The American Dream is still suburbia.

Last edited by Motorola; 08-03-21 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-03-21, 11:18 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,660 Posts

The Avalon is in a strange spot because its exterior and interior dimensions are identical to the Accord which puts the Camry in an even stranger spot. The Avalon should actually be the Camry, if it wants the Camry to better compete with the Accord. This will force the next Camry to be Avalon sized. This is a logical move from Toyota to consolidate two models into one. Everything else has moved on size wise except the Camry. I'll bet you the new Civic is approaching or even meets Camry dimensions... (I'll have to look)

Anyway if this is all true this means the Camry and ES will be platform mates again for the next gen.
Old 08-03-21, 11:22 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,660 Posts

BTW Acura consolidated the TL and TSX and created the TLX. So I can see them doing the same W/ Avalon and Camry and just creating a larger Camry next go around. There's no reason to have an ever so slightly bigger version of the same car... when cars are a hard sell.

Quick Reply: Toyota Avalon Is Dead In The US After 2022 Model Year