Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Avalon Is Dead In The US After 2022 Model Year

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-21, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackruner
Apparently that's an EPA thing. If they allow it to remember it each time the engine cycles they loose credits for their CAFE standards.
Thanks. Yes, I know it was an EPA thing, and connected to CAFE, but I didn't know the details.

That's why they all do it that way, they figure the average person won't push the button each time they start the car.
During the summer, if you keep the A/C controls on max/recirculate, it overrides the system, and you don't have to push the button.

There are some aftermarket devices to override the system, but I'd personally rather not mess with them because they may void the warranty on the electronics.

I'm also a very patient person, especially behind the wheel, and some things I just don't let get to me. About the only things I REALLY dislike are overly-complex video screens and some versions of the E-joystick-and button-shifters.....particularly BMW's.
Old 08-04-21, 09:43 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Tell that to the GS which is dead and the IS which is gone in most countries and soon the RC which will be replaced by some Lexified BR-Z. Lexus doesn't care what online pundits want, because they aren't the ones spending money on their vehicles en masse. The LS is selling poorly, and poor sales in a shrinking segment aren't going to lead anyone to think that the best course of action is to waste more money redesigning a vehicle from the ground up in a format that nobody wants.

Like it or not, a Highlander-based SUV will soon take the place of the RWD Toyota Crown in Japan, a nameplate that has a much longer history and far more global recognition than the LS. The LS has no chance of survival in its current sedan form if even the Crown can't survive.
It was a mistake for Lexus to kill the GS but the GS was never a very big seller for Lexus anywhere. The LS is pretty much the face of Lexus, the first Lexus luxury car, the car that made the brand. I don't see them giving up the LS sedan formula unless Lexus is giving up competing in the luxury market and just wants to be a premium lame CUV company. There is no reason Toyota/Lexus can't learn their lesson with the LS500 disaster and give buyers the car they wanted. Sedans sell by the millions every year, they are nowhere close to dead, they may have peaked years ago but does not mean there is not still a huge market for them, coupes and sports cars sell in minuscule numbers yet automakers still build them, they see profit in them or they have passion for them. Automakers still have many people with passion who don't want their lineups full of only dumpy CUV's to try to turn the biggest profits or lame EV's to appease clueless politicians.
Old 08-04-21, 09:55 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I doubt that. They have done that and people haven't gone back to sedans.
They still sell millions of sedans a year, they are still very popular, at least the models people like that are good packages, not too overpriced. It is somewhat understandable the Avalon would be killed, don't think it was ever a big seller or at least compared to Camry's and ES's and the ES has basically taken the place of the Avalon but I doubt many more will be getting axed, GM and Ford have not had much luck with sedans for over a decade, other brands do much better. They have not made sedans that good looking, they haven't given them much of anything for rear seat passengers aside from the really expensive lux sedans. If they gave more common sedans like Accords, Camry's, Avalon's, etc AWD for the people who think they need awd to drive in the little snow they get each year sales would increase even more.
Old 08-04-21, 10:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
If they gave more common sedans like Accords, Camry's, Avalon's, etc AWD for the people who think they need awd to drive in the little snow they get each year sales would increase even more.

Agreed. I've been saying that for years.
Old 08-05-21, 05:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But here’s the thing. The Avalon is not sporty. Drive one, they ride and drive great, very soft and quiet.

The TRD version was just an attempt to try and get the car noticed.
Right. Just like a Sienna SE is "sporty".
Old 08-05-21, 05:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. I've been saying that for years.
Camry and Avalon already have awd.
Old 08-05-21, 05:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Camry and Avalon already have awd.
I think sometimes these two w/AWD are overlooked. Having a n/a 4 cylinder doesn't help.
Old 08-05-21, 06:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think sometimes these two w/AWD are overlooked. Having a n/a 4 cylinder doesn't help.
Yes. True. But how well the V6 awd Lacrosse and V6 awd Impala work out?
Old 08-05-21, 06:12 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Yes. True. But how well the V6 awd Lacrosse and V6 awd Impala work out?
Depends on marketing right? Subaru is a great example. AWD in all its models except for the BRZ.
Old 08-05-21, 06:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Depends on marketing right? Subaru is a great example. AWD in all its models except for the BRZ.
I guess Toyota owns part of Subaru. And how many of the awd models are large V6 sedan?
Old 08-05-21, 06:24 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I guess Toyota owns part of Subaru. And how many of the awd models are large V6 sedan?
They may not have a V6, but they have turbo engines that more than makes up for the power deficit. Does the ES, Avalon and Camry have that option in their AWD specs?
Old 08-05-21, 06:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

They may not have a V6, but they have turbo engines that more than makes up for the power deficit. Does the ES, Avalon and Camry have that option in their AWD specs?
I don’t think Toyota wants to do turbo in sedans for the United States. And no way Subaru I4t in the
Impreza are making Toyota V6 power. No way!!!!

I don’t think Lacrosse or Impala did very well with awd and I4 turbos

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-05-21 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-05-21, 06:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Subaru has AWD baked into their DNA over decades. Toyota or Chevy rolling out availability of AWD on a few sedans isn't really a fair comparison.

My dad owned an '83 Subaru wagon; he opted to pass on the AWD option for some dumb reason.
Old 08-05-21, 06:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Subaru has AWD baked into their DNA over decades. Toyota or Chevy rolling out availability of AWD on a few sedans isn't really a fair comparison.

My dad owned an '83 Subaru wagon; he opted to pass on the AWD option for some dumb reason.
Toyota had awd in their Camry and Corollas in the past. 1980s and 90s
Old 08-05-21, 07:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Your Dad may have been wiser than you think. The old FWD Subarus available in the U.S. were not only only anvil-like in their durability (definitely more so than later Subarus, which had head-gasket, oil-consumption, CVT, and wheel-bearing problems), but also fewer parts in the drivetrain to fail....although Subaru admittedly does one of the best car-based AWD systems in the business. And the FWD itself, depending on the tires, gives decent winter traction, although, of course, not the same as AWD.

Quick Reply: Toyota Avalon Is Dead In The US After 2022 Model Year