Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Avalon Is Dead In The US After 2022 Model Year

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-21, 05:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So ugly and crappy inside though.
L
No way….the perfect Japanese large car
Old 08-11-21, 05:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
L
No way….the perfect Japanese large car
My uncle had one of these. Terribly cheap plastics, terrible fake wood trim, super awkward looking. Drove nice, but that was the only redeeming quality and was replicable in the ES in a nicer package.

From a quality vehicle standpoint the best Avalon’s we’re the first gen and the current gen.
Old 08-11-21, 05:44 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My uncle had one of these. Terribly cheap plastics, terrible fake wood trim, super awkward looking. Drove nice, but that was the only redeeming quality and was replicable in the ES in a nicer package.

From a quality vehicle standpoint the best Avalon’s we’re the first gen and the current gen.
Old people don't care how they look. They love the space and how the thing never broke down.

Actually, if I hadn't already gotten my feet wet with luxury vehicles and I wanted to stay in the sedan camp, I'd say a 2nd gen Avalon is a solid choice for someone like me who doesn't want all the latest bells and whistles, but a smooth quiet ride with lots of space. The wood trim is nice to look at as well.
Old 08-11-21, 05:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Old people don't care how they look. They love the space and how the thing never broke down.

Actually, if I hadn't already gotten my feet wet with luxury vehicles and I wanted to stay in the sedan camp, I'd say a 2nd gen Avalon is a solid choice for someone like me who doesn't want all the latest bells and whistles, but a smooth quiet ride with lots of space. The wood trim is nice to look at as well.
2nd Gen was a lovely Avalon. Engine was weak though. Corrected for 2005 and all the features such as cooling seats, push button start, recliner rear seats and a rear sunshade. I think there was a power telescope steering as well. The good old days
Old 08-11-21, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Best Avalon ever was the 05-12 model. Rode like a dream. Was big and spacious. Had a huge back seat. Lots of headroom. Lots of features. Massive trunk. All the tech one needed at the time.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Absolutely the 1Gen was the best. IMO, its only flaw (as long as you kept the oil changed) was the lack of the wood-trim interior that later versions had..but it made top for that in being the best-built, using the most solid materials, the best instrument panel, and very little cheap plastic.

Whoops.....sorry. I was refering to the 1Gen model from the 1990s, not to the 3Gen 05-12 version Jill mentioned....I had a temporary brain-freeze on the dates. Nevertheless, the 3Gen version Jill mentioned did indeed ride very nicely and was spacious, but it used very cheap materials inside (Steve is correct on that), and the wood-tone was an odd orange color. I also did not like the zig-zag shifter.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-11-21 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-11-21, 06:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,837 Likes on 2,397 Posts

That interior inherited the cheapness from the Camry of that era. Lowest grade plastics I think Toyota has ever used. You can't expect real wood in a Toyota that is reserved for Lexus.
Old 08-11-21, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
That interior inherited the cheapness from the Camry of that era. Lowest grade plastics I think Toyota has ever used. You can't expect real wood in a Toyota that is reserved for Lexus.
Agreed...the Camrys of that era were among the worst ever done. As for that Avalon steering wheel, though, unlike the rest of the El Cheapo orange plastic wood-tone inside, I think that was real wood on the wheel, dyed in that orange color to match.
Old 08-11-21, 07:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,837 Likes on 2,397 Posts

As for that Avalon steering wheel, though, unlike the rest of the El Cheapo orange plastic wood-tone inside, I think that was real wood on the wheel, dyed in that orange color to match.
Quite sure that is plastic. I've never seen real wood in any Toyota, it was ever used it's rare. Only Toyota I know of for sure that has real wood is the GT2000.
Old 08-11-21, 08:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Old people don't care how they look.
Thats a massive generalization which is absolutely untrue.

Obviously, lots of people bought these, doesn't mean I look back at them with any nostalgia at all, they were just not impressive cars. Lots of people bought Chevy Luminas too. Lots of other old cars that were impressive and are deserving of nostalgia IMO, like that 98 LS400 in that other thread.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Quite sure that is plastic
It was plastic. Plastic fantastic. The current Avalon is a MUCH more impressive car than that gen Avalon.
Old 08-11-21, 08:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The 05 gen Avalon was not as bad as people are claiming. It had a great interior design as well. HP jumped from 210 to 280. HID lights. All the features

As the flagship, the Limited is fitted with a posh, Lexus-like interior replete with a JBL stereo and a Smart Key system that unlocks the doors when the key fob is in close proximity and allows the engine to be fired up at the push of a button
Car and Driver at the time
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/

The Avalon is a hidden gem
The Limited advances the car to Lexus comfort levels
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/r...yota-avalon-2/

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-11-21 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-11-21, 08:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Since we have had at least some confusion ​​​in the thread over which generation of Avalon is which, just to be sure, is THIS the 2Gen Avalon you are referring to?

Old 08-11-21, 08:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Since we have had at least some confusion ​​​in the thread over which generation of Avalon is which, just to be sure, is THIS the 2Gen Avalon you are referring to?

That was a very nice interior as well. Great center stack. Was too slow for the price point of that era.
Old 08-11-21, 09:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That one was also dismal, at least the interior materials were better.
Old 08-11-21, 10:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Whoops.....sorry. I was refering to the 1Gen model from the 1990s, not to the 3Gen 05-12 version Jill mentioned....I had a temporary brain-freeze on the dates. Nevertheless, the 3Gen version Jill mentioned did indeed ride very nicely and was spacious, but it used very cheap materials inside (Steve is correct on that), and the wood-tone was an odd orange color. I also did not like the zig-zag shifter.

The wood was marketed as "blond" and did not look orange in real life. Photos show different. Audi and Infiniti had the same wood tone at the same time. It was a trend for a few years.

Old 08-12-21, 01:20 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

That 2'nd gen is a nice ride. Other than the FWD layout it is easy to go from the Lexus of that era to the Avalon. Mo-in-law has one and it drives nicely still. That V6 has enough go for that car.

Quick Reply: Toyota Avalon Is Dead In The US After 2022 Model Year