Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus GX

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-21, 07:51 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Oh lol sorry for the confusion. I figured it's only like 2 or 3 mpg difference highway driving, right?
Yeah that’s about right. Best I got for pure highway driving on a two hour trip trying pretty hard to get the best mpg just to see what I could get was 24mpg. Not too shabby.
Old 08-08-21, 07:53 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

That is fantastic for a big SUV!
Old 08-09-21, 06:24 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I had a 2011 RX350 and mixed driving was 15mpg, same as what I am getting in my 2018 GX. Living in NY, there's really no real highway driving unfortunately.
Old 08-10-21, 07:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
CD is still a very best way to listen to music in a car. Luxury should be about options
Says the person who has never used a lossless streaming service.

Why would I want to carry individual CDs around and fumble through them and swap them out when the entire world's music library at my fingertips, controlled through CarPlay streaming at CD quality or higher for $9 a month?

There's a reason why carmakers have removed CD players from basically every car and the vast. vast majority of buyers don't care. Lexus is just catering to the fringe here, just like they did hanging onto tape decks for so long.
Old 08-10-21, 08:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

The inclusion of the CD player does surprise me. Toyota even removed it from the Tacoma and Tundra in 2020 without a big dashboard refresh.
Old 08-10-21, 10:50 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Why would I want to carry individual CDs around and fumble through them and swap them out when the entire world's music library at my fingertips, controlled through CarPlay streaming at CD quality or higher for $9 a month?

There's a reason why carmakers have removed CD players from basically every car and the vast. vast majority of buyers don't care. Lexus is just catering to the fringe here, just like they did hanging onto tape decks for so long.
Believe it or not, having everything at your fingertips isn't a whole lot of fun. What's the point, really? It's like having millions of dollars and going out and buying any cars you want. What's the fun in it? I prefer having to search through music stations on XM radio and having CD's made up of my favorite artists. I guess I'm old school and at 32, that's kinda sad.
Old 08-10-21, 12:08 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
...the advanced features of the German infotainments like gesture control.
Advanced? Yes. Useful? No. It's one of the useless features imo. While would one want to hover his hand over in the air in certain motion to change a song/volume while the buttons are right there on the steering wheel? And when you try to reach your drink, it catches your fingers and turns off the music! This is one feature that most bmw owners turn off. Other than that, yes, they have a lot nicer/more useful features.

Believe it or not, having everything at your fingertips isn't a whole lot of fun. What's the point, really? It's like having millions of dollars and going out and buying any cars you want. What's the fun in it? I prefer having to search through music stations on XM radio and having CD's made up of my favorite artists. I guess I'm old school and at 32, that's kinda sad.
You're not old. I was doing that when I was even younger than you. I guess just different time window. Just kidding. These days I just stream with youtube and playlists. I can't see how someone does not utilize streaming.

Originally Posted by situman
Personally, I can't get into another unibody SUV. They just dont feel the same. The 2021 RX I had as a loaner was such a let down.
I parked next to a new GX the other day and both I and my wife agree it's still a nice good looking suv, even compared to others, Germans midsize/full size included. We wouldn't mind having it again but after two of them, we wanted something different, esps as a DD. RX is nice but a completely different vehicle.
Old 08-10-21, 12:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You’re only 32?!? I thought you were like 70 lol

You can make playlists and have your own library and all on streaming platforms too. Why make CDs when that’s all right there at your fingertips

And what fun is there in buying any cars you want? Huh?!? That sounds like lots of fun.
Old 08-10-21, 02:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I have tried it out. I tried Apple Loss Less

Some people like to buy a new CD from time to time. I also like to take out cds from the library. I don’t really care for streaming. I don’t see what the issue is…you can have both options in the GX and that is a good thing. They took the CD player in my new 4R and it’s something that is disappointing

I agree with you. I don’t my mind XM in my new vehicle, gonna renew it when the trial is over . I hate the XM experience from my phone and despise using it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-10-21 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-10-21, 02:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldnt even know where to buy a CD, and I can listen to any new CD I want through the system. Right now I have 115 albums in my favorites, I can't carry 115 CDs with me everywhere.

Bottom line is, there are just very few people out there anymore that listen to CDs. CDs are like records...they have their fans but its a very niche group. It doesnt make sense for carmakers to put CD players in modern cars just to cater to this very small group.
Old 08-10-21, 02:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I wouldnt even know where to buy a CD, and I can listen to any new CD I want through the system. Right now I have 115 albums in my favorites, I can't carry 115 CDs with me everywhere.

Bottom line is, there are just very few people out there anymore that listen to CDs. CDs are like records...they have their fans but its a very niche group. It doesnt make sense for carmakers to put CD players in modern cars just to cater to this very small group.
They're just outdated. That said, I make full use of my 6 disc changer in my LS430. I've got plenty of great CDs.

My truck has a single slot but I bluetooth. You can also burn stuff from a CD onto a hard drive too but I haven't messed with that yet.
Old 08-11-21, 09:08 AM
Sxs1987
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are they ever going to resign this thing or just carry on with slight mods like MB has with the G Class wagon?

Also, when is Lexus going to move to an electronic transmission?
Old 08-11-21, 09:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sxs1987
?

Also, when is Lexus going to move to an electronic transmission?
Why would you want that? More gears are terrible. Electronica shifters are horrific
Old 08-11-21, 09:36 AM
Sxs1987
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why would you want that? More gears are terrible. Electronica shifters are horrific
I disagree. My other car (along with many other cars I've driven) has an electronic shifter and I love them, compared to our RX's manual shifter. I'd really like Lexus to make the upgrade.
Old 08-11-21, 09:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The LC, LS, new NX all have electronic shifters. They're coming.

Having electronic shifters in both of my cars, I much prefer a traditional shifter.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus GX