Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus GX

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-21, 08:42 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Moderator, time to put this thread out of it's misery!

Old 08-13-21, 09:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
See, that's another issue. This entire country wants to get to a point where everything is automatic. Watch as much TV as you can cram into a day, check as much activity on facebook as possible, etc. You guys aren't completely satisfied with how things are. You are wanting more and more. That has trickled into the car business.
Whats wrong with wanting more and more? And I watch way less TV than I ever did, the difference is the time I do spend watching TV I spend watching specifically what I want to watch. I don't sit in front of the TV thumbing around looking for something to watch. Same with music, when I listen to music I listen to exactly what I want to listen to. So what having all of that available to me has created is efficiency.

Automatic? Yes I would like many many things to be automatic. Automation makes my life easier and more enjoyable. There are many things I used to have to sit down and tediously do that just happen now and its great. I don't remember the last time I paid a bill, for instance...

Bringing it back to cars, I love that my car always tells me what the speed limit is, its doing the bulk of the driving itself on a long highway trip, I have all the music I could want to listen to available at my fingertips, it tells me what is next in my schedule and offers to navigate me there and tells me based on traffic when I should leave. All of that is great, and I just want it to get better and work even better.

My kids are 4 and 5 and have never used a tablet. Not once, and I don't plan on starting now with it. There is literally no reason for kids this young to have all this nonsense. Going outside and playing, socializing, reading books, coloring, playing with legos, etc. The list goes on.
Your kids will be way behind other kids when it comes to using technology. When my kids were 4 (they're 6 now) they could work iPads and phones etc. Tons of learning can happen on a tablet. They go outside and play, socialize, read books, color, play with legos too. The two are not mutually exclusive. Technology is the future, like it or not and being literate with technology is beyond vital for kids.

My kids are going into the first grade, and even COVID aside part of the curriculum happens on computers and tablets. Imagine your kids struggling to navigate and operate them in a classroom where every other kids already instinctively knows. Not such a point of pride that they've never used one then...

You seem to feel technology is evil...I just don't get that.

It's kind of scary to think how we occupied our time in say 1992. I was only 4 but still, you get the point.
And people said the same thing about 1962 in 1992.

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Wait a second... so because someone prefers a regular phone, somehow it doesn't align with what your company is aiming towards? What a bunch of garbage. There is NOTHING wrong with a plain phone. Perhaps he doesn't want to fool around with some asinine touchscreen where you hold a 5 inch screen and tap it numerous times to make a call. Some things have gotten completely out of hand. Thank god I'll never have to worry about something like that. That's pretty bad. Lol
Walk into any modern office, whats missing? Phones. Do you have any idea what an office phone system costs to purchase and maintain? They are extremely expensive. So, no...we're a modern tech forward company and we do not have desk phones.

Theres nothing "wrong" with a regular phone, they are just obsolete. Everyone has a cell phone now, and using cell phones vs desk phones gives us a ton more flexibility with working from home, etc and to boot they dont cost nearly as much.

And yes, having obsolete technology impacts the image we project. People laugh at the old outdated real estate offices full of phones and fax machines in my business all the time. People want to come here because we are modern and tech forward and the rest of the industry is so backwards.

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Yeah that's part of the reason why GOOG and NFLX are where they are at. I was skeptical when Netflix was introduced and thought it would never catch DVD quality. Those rear entertainment options are not practical imo but some still buy. You can share hotspot and the kids are set on and off road with their tablets. Btw, can you screen mirror on your benz? You can do that on bimmer. Eventually I think they will add Netflix app or alike to the infotainment.
They already have started integrating Netflix etc into the infotainment in several new cars. Yep, can screen mirror on the Mercedes too.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-13-21 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-13-21, 09:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill;11105194
I think it’s wonderful Mercedes offers a dealer CD player. (Lexus gets it right and makes it standard)

[img
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/1958x1147/67ead10d_579c_4515_9ee8_3136bdf6ef96_eced814dc178f70781ff1c30c65e29209e190101.jpeg[/img]
Replying to this, find a Mercedes with that installed lol. You say Lexus does it right, I say MB does it right by offering a dealer installed accessory for the very few people who want a CD player and not subjecting the majority of buyers to an interior designed around a input medium they haven't used for many years.
Old 08-13-21, 12:20 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Whats wrong with wanting more and more? And I watch way less TV than I ever did, the difference is the time I do spend watching TV I spend watching specifically what I want to watch. I don't sit in front of the TV thumbing around looking for something to watch. Same with music, when I listen to music I listen to exactly what I want to listen to. So what having all of that available to me has created is efficiency.

Automatic? Yes I would like many many things to be automatic. Automation makes my life easier and more enjoyable. There are many things I used to have to sit down and tediously do that just happen now and its great. I don't remember the last time I paid a bill, for instance...

Bringing it back to cars, I love that my car always tells me what the speed limit is, its doing the bulk of the driving itself on a long highway trip, I have all the music I could want to listen to available at my fingertips, it tells me what is next in my schedule and offers to navigate me there and tells me based on traffic when I should leave. All of that is great, and I just want it to get better and work even better.

Your kids will be way behind other kids when it comes to using technology. When my kids were 4 (they're 6 now) they could work iPads and phones etc. Tons of learning can happen on a tablet. They go outside and play, socialize, read books, color, play with legos too. The two are not mutually exclusive. Technology is the future, like it or not and being literate with technology is beyond vital for kids.

My kids are going into the first grade, and even COVID aside part of the curriculum happens on computers and tablets. Imagine your kids struggling to navigate and operate them in a classroom where every other kids already instinctively knows. Not such a point of pride that they've never used one then...

You seem to feel technology is evil...I just don't get that.

And people said the same thing about 1962 in 1992.

Walk into any modern office, whats missing? Phones. Do you have any idea what an office phone system costs to purchase and maintain? They are extremely expensive. So, no...we're a modern tech forward company and we do not have desk phones.

Theres nothing "wrong" with a regular phone, they are just obsolete. Everyone has a cell phone now, and using cell phones vs desk phones gives us a ton more flexibility with working from home, etc and to boot they dont cost nearly as much.

And yes, having obsolete technology impacts the image we project. People laugh at the old outdated real estate offices full of phones and fax machines in my business all the time. People want to come here because we are modern and tech forward and the rest of the industry is so backwards.

They already have started integrating Netflix etc into the infotainment in several new cars. Yep, can screen mirror on the Mercedes too.
You can have all your trash technology. I can enjoy my life without all of it. For that matter, so can my kids. I don't give a **** if they don't know how to operate a tablet at the age of 4 or 5. Good for them. They shouldn't be on them anyways. Not at that age. Go ahead and keep wanting more and more. I know just by chatting with you on here, you're not satisfied with anything.
Old 08-13-21, 12:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its not my "trash technology"... its society...

Not sure why this makes you angry...progress moves ever forward like it or not. May as well embrace it, fighting it just makes you frustrated and all it achieves is separating you from where the rest of society is. You gotta not get worked up about things you can't change, I'm not the one who isn't satisfied with the way things are...I'm very satisfied with my life and what I have. Doesn't mean I wont be happy to see even better things coming in the future.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-13-21 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-13-21, 03:34 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Replying to this, find a Mercedes with that installed lol. You say Lexus does it right, I say MB does it right by offering a dealer installed accessory for the very few people who want a CD player and not subjecting the majority of buyers to an interior designed around a input medium they haven't used for many years.
Lol, that GX's interior is not "designed around" a CD player.

They could have left the CD player out just as easily and it would look fine.
Old 08-13-21, 04:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lol, that GX's interior is not "designed around" a CD player.

They could have left the CD player out just as easily and it would look fine.
CD players take up space, without the CD player they could have brought the screen down potentially and made it look more integrated.
Old 08-14-21, 07:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Moderator, time to put this thread out of it's misery!
Agreed. When there's some more news on the GX someone can start a new thread.