Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus ES, Toyota Camry (v6) and Toyota Avalon..same?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-21, 08:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
To be fair I've never driven a car that had AWD. I just honestly think FWD is just fine but that's all I've ever driven.
if you're in deep snow, awd is fantastic. I had a subaru wagon in the late 80s and it was amazing in deep snow and a complete blast... very confidence inspiring. My fwd honda prelude at the time - not so much.

Old 08-06-21, 08:40 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

If the only exposure one has to AWD is through one of those basic on-demand Haldex systems like in the RX, then yeah you won't notice much of a difference in day-to-day driving. On RWD-biased or full-time systems like Subaru's and Audi's, it not only helps with bad weather but also makes the driving dynamics much more planted.
Old 08-07-21, 04:19 AM
fabchef
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Motorola, yes, those older vsc, all time awd's were indeed well planted!
Old 08-07-21, 10:21 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

A legit AWD system is awesome, doesn't help you stop any better. Toyota's AWD system in most of their hybrids is terrible it may as well not be there at all. It has improved in the latest models though.
Old 08-07-21, 10:25 AM
fabchef
Intermediate

Lex2k... was curious on my 2009 rx, was the awd system ok? Soso? Or decent?
does lexus/toyota have any good awd systems? If so, on which model vehicles? I've always liked the bigger cars (LS, GS even the IS).
Old 08-07-21, 10:59 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fabchef
Hybrid or no? If hybrid the rear motor gives basically no traction when you need it. The conventional system is okay but far behind the likes of Subaru.
does lexus/toyota have any good awd systems? If so, on which model vehicles? I've always liked the bigger cars (LS, GS even the IS).
Tests on the latest RAV4 (conventional, no hybrid) show it is a decent system. Not sure about the cars you mention given what I have seen I'd be skeptical. Search up RAV4 slip test on Youtube or whatever car you want to see here is one example.

Old 08-07-21, 11:11 AM
fabchef
Intermediate

Cool, thanks. My rx is conventional, not hybrid.
i think alot of auto companies are going with the awd route, especially in places with snow, telling people that the NEED to have awd systems. And as mentioned, not all awd systems are the same. I think that most are almost just to say, sure, it's an awd...nothing more.
subaru does have a good system, only thing is that their 2012+ models now have cvt's (that's for another topic)! As well, i find their bodies are soso concerning rust, unless they got better recently?
fab
Old 08-07-21, 11:19 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

The RX uses a Haldex AWD system that only turns on if it detects slip, so 90% of the time you're driving a FWD car. The only Toyota/Lexus products that have true AWD or rear-biased AWD are their truck-based SUV's like the 4Runner/GX and Land Cruiser/LX, or their more premium sport and luxury sedans like the IS, GS, and LS which use a Torsen AWD system.

Toyota hybrids use an e-axle which is essentially an electric motor in place of a differential, but again you won't notice the effects unless there's slip.
Old 08-07-21, 11:21 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't buy a Subaru not convinced they have solved their head gasket failures. Winter can be quite harsh here only time I get stuck is if the snow pack is higher than the ground clearance of my car, which is almost never. I drive a FWD car in the winter months. AWD is mostly a false security blanket plus most vehicles that are AWD happen to be SUVs that flip over easily. Any time I see a crash because of bad weather almost guaranteed it is an AWD SUV, probably upside down in the ditch.

I am not against AWD in fact I think a good AWD system is awesome but it does not replace good tires, good driving practices and doesn't make a top heavy car any safer.
Originally Posted by Motorola
The RX uses a Haldex AWD system that only turns on if it detects slip, so 90% of the time you're driving a FWD car. The only Toyota/Lexus products that have true AWD or rear-biased AWD are their truck-based SUV's like the 4Runner/GX and Land Cruiser/LX, or their more premium sport and luxury sedans like the IS, GS, and LS which use a Torsen AWD system.
I'm okay with the system not driving the rear wheels most of the time to save fuel, but when you need traction you don't get it. The "real" AWD/4WD Toyota's are much better from what I've read/seen.
Old 08-07-21, 12:10 PM
fabchef
Intermediate

Wow, so a Lexus gs, Ls and Is awd systems are actually better than on my rx?

As far as subaru's go, i believe they fixed the head gasket issue, and have moved to timing chains instead of belts. For me it's the body holding up to rust and that they now use cvt's...not for me.
i agree that good winter tires are important, and that often awd vehicles give people a false sense of safety. Good driving habits are crucial, especially in winter.
I do like the IS sedans, but i think they are too small for a family of 4, right?
fab
Old 08-07-21, 12:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

does lexus/toyota have any good awd systems? If so, on which model vehicles? .
2009 RX was a permanent awd system. Same with the Highlander at that time. Very good systems.
Old 08-07-21, 01:36 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Wow, so a Lexus gs, Ls and Is awd systems are actually better than on my rx?
Yes. The RX is a crossover, so essentially it's just a normal FWD car like the Camry but with a raised platform.
Old 08-07-21, 01:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
Yes. The RX is a crossover, so essentially it's just a normal FWD car like the Camry but with a raised platform.
Why are people surprised by this? Original RAV4 was a mash up between two sedan platforms the Camry and Corolla. Same basic formula is used to this day take a sedan chassis make it taller.
Old 08-08-21, 06:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
2009 RX was a permanent awd system. Same with the Highlander at that time. Very good systems.
Not sure what you mean by a 'permanent' awd system? Almost certain fwd-based awd vehicles are always fwd + some %age of rwd power (typically well less than 100% of the power).

this is for the prior gen santa fe, but assume it's the same as the system on my '21.

HTRAC Advanced AWD System

The 2019 Santa Fe has Hyundai’s HTRAC® All-Wheel-Drive (AWD) system. The HTRAC AWD system was developed as a multi-mode system, providing an electronic, variable-torque-split clutch with active torque control between the front and rear axles. The driver-selectable HTRAC Normal, Sport and Smart modes help provide confident control in all weather conditions. The Sport setting gives a more agile feel by sending more available torque to the rear wheels, for a sporty dynamic feel when desired. This system has a wider range of torque distribution variability than many competitive systems and has been tuned to conditions such as straight-line acceleration, medium- and high-speed cornering, and hill starts.
Old 08-08-21, 06:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Not sure what you mean by a 'permanent' awd system? Almost certain fwd-based awd vehicles are always fwd + some %age of rwd power (typically well less than 100% of the power).

It’s permanent full-time all wheel drive for 2009. In 2010, Lexus moved to 100% based fwd then on demand system. Before that the awd always worked, not sure how much the split was but the split was permanent

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-08-21 at 06:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus ES, Toyota Camry (v6) and Toyota Avalon..same?