Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealers lowballing!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-21, 06:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Dealers are RAKING it in on both new and used cars right now.
nothing new there, they just have excuses reasons to stiff consumers even more.

i'm feeling a little fortunate that i got my 2 vehicles in december and feb and avoided a lot of the current insanity.

Old 08-11-21, 07:14 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Avg in auction for 2018 GX Prem is ~$40K, low is $37K, so that's in line with that Vroom offer. Consider yours needs about $2K or so of reconditioning work. You could try to push your local Lexus dealers for $37/38?

As you're finding, lease buyout can be tricky with the 3rd party sites (carvana/vroom/etc) and non-Lexus dealers right now. Takes a while to get title in many states now with all the limited hours of DMV operations, sales tax implications, etc.

Givemethevin.com and Autonation are other good online appraisal sites.
Carvana gave me a quote for $39k and will take my car even though its a lease. Vroom was not willing. Carmax I will have to go to their store and the nearest store is 2hrs away. So I think I will deal with Carvana and they will deal with LFS directly. I mean getting 4 to 5k on a car thats essentially not mine is more than I can hope for.
Old 08-11-21, 07:17 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nothing new there, they just have excuses reasons to stiff consumers even more.

i'm feeling a little fortunate that i got my 2 vehicles in december and feb and avoided a lot of the current insanity.
Well at least I will have some positive equity to offset the craziness when it comes time to get the 2022 GX.
Old 08-11-21, 07:24 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Carvana gave me a quote for $39k and will take my car even though its a lease. Vroom was not willing. Carmax I will have to go to their store and the nearest store is 2hrs away. So I think I will deal with Carvana and they will deal with LFS directly. I mean getting 4 to 5k on a car thats essentially not mine is more than I can hope for.
Hope it goes well, I thought I heard that from August 1, LFS wouldn't work with 3rd parties like Carvana anymore, hope that's not the case!! It's such a hassle. I know that it's just all the banks keeping their respective dealers happy, but it does so at the expense of customer satisfaction.
Old 08-11-21, 07:43 AM
situman
Pole Position

Hope it goes well, I thought I heard that from August 1, LFS wouldn't work with 3rd parties like Carvana anymore, hope that's not the case!! It's such a hassle. I know that it's just all the banks keeping their respective dealers happy, but it does so at the expense of customer satisfaction.
I spoke to the Carvana lady and they still do indeed work with LFS. I am sitting on nails getting a lease extension since Carvana wont take anything with less than 60 days left on the lease term. I cant believe in this day and age, LFS still wants docs by FAX or MAIL and their website stopped working of all times. I mean its almost 2022 for gods sakes.
Old 08-11-21, 08:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
When I sold my 2017 UL ES a month or so ago, the offers that I got from local dealers, from CarMax, and from KBB were all very close to each other. Vroom offered a couple of thousand more, and Carvana offered me about $5000 more than the local dealers, CarMax, and KBB. Carvana's offer was also abut $5000 higher than what they had offered me a couple of months earlier. Carvana ended up selling my car within about 10 days for about $2500 more than what they paid me for it. Considering their overhead, I think that was a fair markup over what they paid me for the car.

I suspect that Carvana can offer more for the cars they buy than others because their operational model seems to be very efficient with minimal human labor expense, and a significant portion of their potential profit can come from financing, selling extended warranties, etc.
One of the things I like about the Carvana process is the payment on the spot. I've read some reviews about slow or delayed payments from Vroom, but who knows what any of the details are when you read the individual reviews. Right now Carvana's offer on my 2019 X3 is about $1,800, or about 5%, lower than Vroom. I'll wait a while to see if that gap close any over the next week or two.
Old 08-11-21, 09:04 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

For our recent instance, which I'll have to write up something about, Carvana, Vroom, Carmax and others were all lower than what I eventually got one of my local Chrysler dealers to pony up for our Pacifica. Took some more legwork, but in the end the Chrysler dealer made it pretty quick also. Handed me a check and I gave them the title.
Old 08-11-21, 09:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Same here! I am super happy I have 2 years left on both cars at this point. Let all this madness subside.
Old 08-11-21, 09:51 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

This sucks when a trade-in is involved. The 20-25% markup on the trade in price makes you feel bad for taking the hit when you could have done better in a private sale.

The dealer has to bear the burden of additional expenses to get it ready for sale or as a minimum, pass state inspection.
A private sale means you're doing all the promotion and may have to get the car ready for sale. It's frustrating that you're not able to match a dealer price for almost exact or better vehicle. Caving in to the dealer means you're ready to get done with the car on their price terms immediately (avoid waiting on a private sale that could happen in 1 or 3 months or longer). I have had trade ins where the dealer was unable to sell the vehicle for 3 months (went off to wholesale).

Dealers love love well taken care of private cars. It often means the car only needs a super deluxe detail job and it's flipped for sale back on the market. Do this type of deal 5 times a week is a nice pure 4-5k profit (20k-25k weekly, or 1+ million per year in revenue). The general sales manager loves the smell of $$
Old 08-11-21, 06:51 PM
situman
Pole Position

Yea but they are too arrogant to accept less now. So people are turning to other avenues. If dealers have no new and old inventories to sell, u wonder what their plan is. I cant imagine there are enough customers with more money than sense and keep paying inflated prices.
Old 08-11-21, 07:11 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
One of the things I like about the Carvana process is the payment on the spot. I've read some reviews about slow or delayed payments from Vroom, but who knows what any of the details are when you read the individual reviews. Right now Carvana's offer on my 2019 X3 is about $1,800, or about 5%, lower than Vroom. I'll wait a while to see if that gap close any over the next week or two.
I agree. I didn’t love that it took a week to get my money from Vroom. I also had the same concerns about whether they would ding me for anything like the fact that my suv needed new tires but they assured me when I called that unless I was untruthful about anything big like the car being in accident that was not disclosed I would be fine. I went with Vroom over Carvana because they paid me $5k more. I would gladly wait a few extra days for $5k.
Old 08-13-21, 04:53 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Sell it privately. You'll get more $ and it will simplify your new car purchase/lease.
Old 08-15-21, 05:11 AM
egk2lexus
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Thats how it works lol, its a business, they want to turn a profit or whats the point? What business doesnt want to turn profit?
Old 08-15-21, 10:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Same here! I am super happy I have 2 years left on both cars at this point. Let all this madness subside.
not only beating the price madness somewhat, but the coming end of V8s! i hope to keep the LC a long time, unless at some point i no longer enjoy it or i need the money.

Old 08-15-21, 12:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

not only beating the price madness somewhat, but the coming end of V8s! i hope to keep the LC a long time, unless at some point i no longer enjoy it or i need the money.
Very true!

Quick Reply: Dealers lowballing!