Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealers lowballing!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 07:06 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by egk2lexus
Thats how it works lol, its a business, they want to turn a profit or whats the point? What business doesnt want to turn profit?
Are businesses worthy of more respect than individuals? Shouldn't every self-respecting individual want to get the best possible deal? Otherwise what's the point, to throw away one's hard-earned money?
Old 08-15-21, 07:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Are businesses worthy of more respect than individuals? Shouldn't every self-respecting individual want to get the best possible deal? Otherwise what's the point, to throw away one's hard-earned money?
Of course. It goes both ways. I can’t however begrudge dealers taking advantage of market conditions when they favor them when I take advantage of them as a buyer when they favor me.
Old 08-16-21, 06:48 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

For those of you that have used Carvana, did you ask for a check or ask a wire transfer? If you did a direct deposit with Carvana, is it still same day?
Old 08-19-21, 11:19 AM
egk2lexus
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Of course. It goes both ways. I can’t however begrudge dealers taking advantage of market conditions when they favor them when I take advantage of them as a buyer when they favor me.
true and not so much taking advantage but thats how car dealerships and businesses in general stay profitable. They are certainly not going to buy your car for a certain price then turnaround and sell it for the same price. Its up to you to do your due diligence to privately sell your vehicle to get the most you can.
Old 08-19-21, 11:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by egk2lexus
true and not so much taking advantage but thats how car dealerships and businesses in general stay profitable. They are certainly not going to buy your car for a certain price then turnaround and sell it for the same price. Its up to you to do your due diligence to privately sell your vehicle to get the most you can.
Yep, agreed.
Old 08-19-21, 11:59 AM
egk2lexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Valid points…but think about it, what product can you think of that a business sells for same price they bought it for? Businesses need to buy low sell higher to stay profitable.

In terms of getting the most or best deal for your car, its up to you to do your due diligence to get it, which usually means
selling your car privately.

Old 08-19-21, 12:00 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
For those of you that have used Carvana, did you ask for a check or ask a wire transfer? If you did a direct deposit with Carvana, is it still same day?
I accepted the quote online and they had the check pre-printed when they came to look at the car. Whole process took maybe 20 minutes once the driver arrived.
Old 08-19-21, 12:16 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Allen K
I accepted the quote online and they had the check pre-printed when they came to look at the car. Whole process took maybe 20 minutes once the driver arrived.
Lexus FInancial is screwing up my lease extension. So I'm just waiting to get that sorted. Made an appointment with Carvana for this Saturday to pick up the car. Crossing fingers!
Old 08-19-21, 01:15 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I sold my 2017 ES to Carvana about 2 months ago. I took the option to have them give me a pre-printed check.

I found it interesting that the young man from Carvana handed me the check as soon as he got out of his car and before he even inspected the car. After giving me the check, his inspection of the car consisted only of walking around the car and taking 3 or 4 pictures of it with his phone. He didn't even start the car. For all he knew, I could have sold them a car with a blown engine. After giving me the check, taking the title, and having me sign a few papers, he left, and someone else came with a flatbed truck to pick up my ES several hours later.

Old 08-23-21, 09:34 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I sold my 2017 ES to Carvana about 2 months ago. I took the option to have them give me a pre-printed check.

I found it interesting that the young man from Carvana handed me the check as soon as he got out of his car and before he even inspected the car. After giving me the check, his inspection of the car consisted only of walking around the car and taking 3 or 4 pictures of it with his phone. He didn't even start the car. For all he knew, I could have sold them a car with a blown engine. After giving me the check, taking the title, and having me sign a few papers, he left, and someone else came with a flatbed truck to pick up my ES several hours later.
these are unusual times for the car business. With car supplies so low that dealerships are starving for Anything they can get there hands on. Especially when they didn’t have to pay absolutely ridiculous prices that vehicles are getting bid up to at the auctions. While u did get a great deal I am sure, it was also a great deal for the dealership.
Old 08-24-21, 08:18 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dwoods801
these are unusual times for the car business. With car supplies so low that dealerships are starving for Anything they can get there hands on. Especially when they didn’t have to pay absolutely ridiculous prices that vehicles are getting bid up to at the auctions. While u did get a great deal I am sure, it was also a great deal for the dealership.
Dealers are not desperate and if anything they are even more arrogant and have no interest in working with you. There are enough people out there that just dont want to go through the trouble of selling or even know how easy it is to sell. They simply return the car to the dealers. The check I got from Carvana was over 3x times what the dealers had offered me and that's without the condescending tone from the dealer how this is how much my car is worth.

Check is cashed and Big Blue Lexie is gone and I'm missing the big girl.
Old 08-24-21, 12:41 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Carvana offers high initially, but make sure you take care of everything before the offer expires. My brother recently made this mistake and the offer dropped considerably on the second submission. He ended up just buying out his lease to keep himself, as there was no way he could get into the same caliber vehicle for the payment he had. One dealer quoted him $1200/month for the same car he was paying $500/month for. They said they couldn't come close to that payment now with inventory the way it is. Crazy times!
Old 08-25-21, 09:53 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Dealers are not desperate and if anything they are even more arrogant and have no interest in working with you. There are enough people out there that just dont want to go through the trouble of selling or even know how easy it is to sell. They simply return the car to the dealers. The check I got from Carvana was over 3x times what the dealers had offered me and that's without the condescending tone from the dealer how this is how much my car is worth.
Check is cashed and Big Blue Lexie is gone and I'm missing the big girl.
So what's coming? 22 GX? I've traded a lot and I never experienced 3x different. Maybe a few grand, 5k most. I usually get an offer from one of these Carvana, Carmax or Vroom and go off there. My experience has been the next car's dealer always met or beat the offer. It's more convenient for me to sell the car and get the next ride same place.
Old 08-25-21, 10:02 AM
egk2lexus
Pit Crew

Some people want the convenience of just trading their car in a for a new one, its easy, dont have to deal with flaky craigslist people or verifying funds etc… but you will essentially pay for that convenience.

For the most part, Ive had good experiences with most dealers, ive had bad experiences too but I dont just generalize or stereotype all dealers as bad because of that.
Old 08-26-21, 08:47 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1111GS
So what's coming? 22 GX? I've traded a lot and I never experienced 3x different. Maybe a few grand, 5k most. I usually get an offer from one of these Carvana, Carmax or Vroom and go off there. My experience has been the next car's dealer always met or beat the offer. It's more convenient for me to sell the car and get the next ride same place.
Yea waiting on a '22 GX but no stock yet and people putting down orders for it are not optimistic with the upcoming factory shut down.

Dealers were offering me a check for $1,800. So once I found out Carvana buys leased cars from LFS, it was a done deal.