Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 NSX Type S Reveal

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 04:19 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe deposits have been put down or something but it doesn't make sense to go through 300 NSXes within a model year when they were barely moving 200 of them. If they go through 300 pieces within a year it would the second most popular calendar year after 2017.
Old 08-15-21, 05:05 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vladi
Maybe deposits have been put down or something but it doesn't make sense to go through 300 NSXes within a model year when they were barely moving 200 of them. If they go through 300 pieces within a year it would the second most popular calendar year after 2017.
No kidding, I smell BS. Somebody's been fudging the numbers:

Source: Acura NSX Sales Figures | US Car Sales Figure (carfigures.com)

Last edited by F1Driver; 08-15-21 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-15-21, 06:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

looks like another lambo
Old 08-15-21, 07:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

The tech in the car is pretty special and it's very fast, but i find the interior very underwhelming. Rather have my 'slow' lc500 with beautiful interior and a heck of a lot less expensive.
Old 08-15-21, 07:32 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 680 Likes on 425 Posts

Spent quite a bit of time in an NSX (not as much on the road, unfortunately) and while I think the interior could be more special for the price it’s not bad.

As for the final run being entirely spoken for, that’s perfectly plausible. There’s an unbelievable amount of money out there right now and the short/limited run makes the final model year that much more interesting, with S tweaks making it a little more interesting still.

time will tell on the 300 US sales. Acura is transparent about sales numbers, so we’ll see soon enough. And we’ll see even sooner if Acura and their dealers are throwing money into the deals or not. That will give a pretty strong indication on demand levels.
Old 08-24-21, 07:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default There will be a third-generation NSX, says Acura V.P.

It will likely be an all-electric halo car

The second-generation Acura NSX might be going out in a blaze of glory, but it won't be the last we see of the supercar. This promise comes directly from Acura Vice President and Brand Officer Jon Ikeda. Furthermore, Ikeda implied that the next version might be electric.

Ikeda divulged thoughts about a third-gen NSX while being interviewed by The Drive and Motor Trend. To the former, he explained Acura's mission with the the mid-engined supercar. "We make an NSX when there's something we want to say. The first-gen was gas. Second-gen was a hybrid. There's gonna be another one." Unless Ikeda is talking about hydrogen or some kind of heretofore undisclosed technology like Mr. Fusion, this pretty much means electric.

That means the NSX is likely to take another hiatus after the Type S closes out the 2022 model year. Between the first and second generations, the halo sports car had an 11-year absence on the market. Ikeda laid out the reasons for the nameplate's 2016 return when he spoke to Motor Trend. "Honda is one of the biggest gasoline engine makers in the world and needed to see what will happen in a world turning away from engines," he explained. It was always meant to be a halo car. "We didn't go into it to make a lot of money," he stated.

The second generation had a much shorter lifespan than the game-changing first gen. That one spanned one and a half decades, from 1990 to 2005. The current generation, once it exits stage left in 2022, will have only had a six-year run.

One could argue that the first gen overstayed its welcome, though. After thoroughly turning the supercar world on its ear, by forcing Ferrari et al to reconsider their engineering, the NSX's competitors quickly caught up to Honda's lead. While the NSX did undergo a couple of major changes during its first lifespan, by the time it left the market it was more of a dwindle.

Acura is determined not to let that happen with the current NSX. In this case, they're sending it off with the most powerful iteration yet, a 600-horsepower Type S with reworked turbos, cooling system and aerodynamics and limiting production to 350 worldwide. Ikeda told Motor Trend, "We didn't want to let the NSX die on the vine either. To go quietly into the night is not what it deserves."
Source
Old 08-24-21, 08:41 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

They have been selling basically the same car for 6 years so it is no surprise sales and interest dwindled. They finally gave it a decent update with the Type S, updated the power to 600hp along with exterior styling enhancements, quicker shift times, etc so I don't think it is any surprise many more buyers jumped on what they saw as something much closer to what they wanted out of a NSX for not too much more money. I think if they would have kept updating it every few years with a power bump it would have sold much better.
Old 08-24-21, 08:46 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
Spent quite a bit of time in an NSX (not as much on the road, unfortunately) and while I think the interior could be more special for the price it’s not bad.

As for the final run being entirely spoken for, that’s perfectly plausible. There’s an unbelievable amount of money out there right now and the short/limited run makes the final model year that much more interesting, with S tweaks making it a little more interesting still.

time will tell on the 300 US sales. Acura is transparent about sales numbers, so we’ll see soon enough. And we’ll see even sooner if Acura and their dealers are throwing money into the deals or not. That will give a pretty strong indication on demand levels.
I sat in a NSX, the interior seemed fine, nothing spectacular but nothing that would keep me from wanting or buying it. Thing is there are really no mid engine exotics with really good/great interiors at least ones under $500K. I never found mid engined Ferrari interiors very interesting, the higher quality leather is nice but the rest is not that great and feels pretty cheap once you start touching things, operating switches. McLaren interiors are kind of ugly, dull, Audi R8 interior is pretty dull, i8 interior was nothing special, etc.
Old 08-25-21, 08:37 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Exclamation Dealers are having a field day with the limited production NSX

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Unfortunately any decent Sports car that is coming out is either sold out or has waiting list for 3+ years.

The only other way is to pay ADM to dealers then magically the car becomes available…..Personally i have never seen anything like this. Way too much $$$ floating around and very limited supply available.

Its such a SHAME that so many DEALERS had a FIELD day with the ADM.. Some west coats dealers were asking high as $50k over sticker of $171,500.

https://tiremeetsroad.com/2021/08/14...ra-nsx-type-s/

Last edited by finny76; 08-26-21 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-25-21, 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

50k was the start, some went up to 100k. some even asked the buyers to bid against each other
Old 08-26-21, 08:48 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
50k was the start, some went up to 100k. some even asked the buyers to bid against each other
That's a shame, you can ruin sales with markups. All the more reason I wish there was a option just to buy direct from most manufactures and drive to the factory to pick up to not have to deal with markups/shady tactics.
Old 08-26-21, 01:56 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
That's a shame, you can ruin sales with markups. All the more reason I wish there was a option just to buy direct from most manufactures and drive to the factory to pick up to not have to deal with markups/shady tactics.
I just wish manufacturer would straight out ban anyone to mark up their brand new vehicles.
Old 08-26-21, 03:23 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

And this is the reason I don’t mind trying to get the best deal I can from a dealer. When demand is high they will charge ADMs so when they aren’t you bet I’m going to squeeze them.
Old 08-26-21, 06:54 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

I think the Type S looks great! It’s a shame the NSX hasn’t sold well.

I can’t afford one, otherwise I’d get one.
Old 08-26-21, 07:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes, a lot of prospective buyers are pissed, including some existing 1st and 2nd gen owners. i think it's really ugly.

we will see how sales turn out. acura dealerships also set out for high ADM when 2nd gen came out but that backfired very quickly. however this time i think it might be different. with covid money boom and now everyone trying to put their money into asset (on top of crazy inflation), the sold out can be real.

and yes, that's why i loved tesla so much when i got my model 3. it was wonderful experience. no negotiation no middleman no bs, it's like shopping at target.

I just wish manufacturer would straight out ban anyone to mark up their brand new vehicles.
toyota and lexus started out like this too i think, they penalized dealers that did ADM. but i think over the years dealers found ways to get around it. indeed a shame

Quick Reply: 2022 NSX Type S Reveal