Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Acura Integra (production specs and photos revealed post #150)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-21, 04:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
I'll say precisely that. If you look at their respective sales figures over the past decade, the Civic has gone up in sales with its largest-ever editions and the Accord has gone down. I recently spent parts of several days as a back-seat passenger in a late-model Civic and exclaimed, "There's more than enough room in this car. I'll bet a lot of people get into a Honda showroom intending to buy an Accord, see that the Civic has more than enough room in the back seat and trunk, and say 'Why pay more?'"

I know it's been reported that the TLX is a "bespoke" platform, but as an Acura sedan owner I take that with a ton of salt. They did stretch the area behind the engine to give the car a pointless prestige gap, and they stiffened it up some, but that is not "a bespoke platform" no matter what their marketing manager said. If it's so "bespoke," why's it still FWD-based when that doesn't fit the misson of the car? Because Honda is still flogging its FWD tooling to create low-development-cost Acuras, that's why. That's been their business model since the 1980s, and it's not about to change now.
I would put this more on the sales trends of sedans than people "wanting" a Civic over an Accord. If you are in the entry-level of the market, a few $1000 makes a big difference, and a Civic becomes more affordable than an HRV or CRV - forget moving up to an Accord. I would argue many people buy small sedans because they have to, because they can't afford a compact SUV.
Old 11-12-21, 05:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Note to Acura, it's not 1990... front heavy fwd packaging does not equal premium/luxury sporty. i guess this is aimed at younger buyers but i'd rather have a rare stick g70 than this stick integra.
Old 11-12-21, 05:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Note to Acura, it's not 1990... front heavy fwd packaging does not equal premium/luxury sporty. i guess this is aimed at younger buyers but i'd rather have a rare stick g70 than this stick integra.
Everyone needs to take a deep breath and prepare to be disappointed in the "new" Integra. Why should we think after all these years of mediocrity (at best), Acura suddenly snapped their fingers and they are going to produce the car so many people have wanted for so long? Hope for the best; expect the worst.
Old 11-12-21, 06:08 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Everyone needs to take a deep breath and prepare to be disappointed in the "new" Integra. Why should we think after all these years of mediocrity (at best), Acura suddenly snapped their fingers and they are going to produce the car so many people have wanted for so long? Hope for the best; expect the worst.
Ironically I'm sure they'll sell boatloads of these like the TLX despite that being a mediocre vehicle in its segment as well. Honda and by extension Acura have built up such goodwill from their 90s and early 2000s nameplates that their consumer base is more than willing to look over their many deficiencies because it's a badge they're familiar with.
Old 11-12-21, 07:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Ironically I'm sure they'll sell boatloads of these like the TLX despite that being a mediocre vehicle in its segment as well. Honda and by extension Acura have built up such goodwill from their 90s and early 2000s nameplates that their consumer base is more than willing to look over their many deficiencies because it's a badge they're familiar with.
must be why the ilx has done so well.
Old 11-12-21, 07:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Well, I do think the painted exhaust pipes are cool... (Wonder if they'll make it to production, and if they do, I wonder how long they'd stay looking nice).

Old 11-12-21, 07:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2023 Acura Integra revealed | Civic Si turbo and manual, $30,000 base price

It's been a couple of decades, but the storied Acura Integra nameplate is returning to the road as a 2023 model. The Civic-based Acura sedan borrows the sporty Si's 1.5-liter, turbocharged 4-cylinder and 6-speed manual transmission with its limited-slip differential, though the exact specs still remain up in the air.

The prototype was shown in a new color dubbed "Indy Yellow," which pays homage to the iconic Phoenix Yellow finish offered on the Integra Type R. It rides on 19-inch five-spoke wheels over Brembo brakes.

“The Integra is one of the most iconic models in Acura's history,” said Jon Ikeda, vice president and Acura brand officer. “This new Integra will continue to deliver on the original's unique aspirational yet attainable market position, with emotional performance and style, combined with the versatility and utility sought after by today's buyers.”

While the powertrain may be borrowed from the Civic, it will likely be tuned slightly differently. It produces a nice, round 200 horsepower in the Si, and since Acura noted that it will be a "high-output" engine, we're expecting them to squeeze a little extra something out. Don't expect miracles, however; the Civic Type-R gets a 2.0-liter mill for a reason.

Beyond that, Acura is being tight-lipped for now, but a product planner told Autoblog that the Integra won't share a single body panel with the Civic. It's a couple inches longer than the Civic sedan. He suggested that we'd see a performance model eventually, and maybe it would be Type S, but no hard confirmation.

The planner also said that, as far as the trend toward retro models like the Toyota Supra or Nissan Z, Acura did not set out to design something retro. Instead, they wanted to make something that looked like what the Integra would have evolved into today, had it never been discontinued.

The grille sports the new look we can expect to see across the Acura product lineup, slightly refined from the existing look, and frameless.

Acura says the Integra will go into production in 2022 at its Marysville, Ohio, facility.
Source
Old 11-12-21, 07:35 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
must be why the ilx has done so well.
Unironically, it does do pretty well. Sold 13K units last year. That's more than the 2 Series and A3. The fact that it sells that well despite sitting on last-last-gen Civic platform goes to show how fine Acura's consumer base is with mediocrity.
Old 11-12-21, 08:21 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Walk Around

Old 11-12-21, 08:55 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Horrible! Cheesy embossed INTEGRA tops off a giant mess. Should have let the legend die in peace.
Old 11-12-21, 08:58 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is just terrible. Utterly boring, un-inventive, trite design.

Other than the NSX, I can't think of a single Acura with good design. It's the same old stuff with some fancy headlight elements or taillights.
Old 11-12-21, 09:58 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by rosskoss
That is just terrible. Utterly boring, un-inventive, trite design.

Other than the NSX, I can't think of a single Acura with good design. It's the same old stuff with some fancy headlight elements or taillights.
I think the TLX Type S is a good looking car. I think if they packaged it a bit better with more interior room and better performance (its kinda slow) then it would be a media darling. As it is, it gets lost to the M340 and IS500 and G70.
Old 11-12-21, 10:29 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Horrible! Cheesy embossed INTEGRA tops off a giant mess. Should have let the legend die in peace.
Agree to disagree. That is great homage to Integra's of past. Well done Acura

Old 11-12-21, 10:37 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Very plain boring design with zero styling cues of the original Integra.
The MDX and RDX are great but TLX and now this Integra are weak designs.
Old 11-12-21, 11:10 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Someone send it back!

Quick Reply: 2023 Acura Integra (production specs and photos revealed post #150)