Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor1 says rumor is Mercedes killing almost all V8s for 2022

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-21, 10:20 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Then the next question will be is this permanent
I would say no given AMG is debuting the V8 hybrid powertrain (along with the I4 version...) in early September at the Munich auto show. That will go in the S-class, AMG GT 4-door, and next-gen SL to start. From what I understand these are getting priority until the supply chain is relieved enough to restart the non-hybrid V8 supply for the U.S.

This was also a surprise, not a planned development. Dealers had no heads up and the dealer ordering guides had already been produced with orders sold (including mine) for V8 vehicles.

Last edited by TangoRed; 08-18-21 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-18-21, 10:21 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,266 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Then the next question will be is this permanent
Due to the Chip shortages the V8's will temporarily have limited availability, but in the next year or two when the supply chain normalizes, it's hard to predict

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-18-21 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-18-21, 11:21 AM
lion1234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Appropriate grammar

"Killing" is a poor choice of words.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
This is huge if it's true.

https://www.motor1.com/news/526643/m...ling-v8s-2022/

Mercedes Killing Nearly All V8s For 2022MY Due To Supply Issues

The culling was allegedly needed because of supply chain issues.

In our roundup of every vehicle being killed for the 2022 model year, one entry came from Mercedes-Benz and that's the Mercedes-AMG GT R. However, it seems like there's a long list to be added, according to a Reddit post from user bsw1234, who provided proof to the moderators of the r/cars thread.

According to the post, nearly all V8-powered Mercedes vehicles, including all AMGs, aren't going to be sold in the US for the 2022 model year. The reason for the culling is connected, but not limited to, global supply chain issues.

These models include AMG C63, AMG GLC 63, AMG E63, GLE 580, AMG GLE 63, AMG GLS 63, GLS600 Maybach, G550, and AMG G63. Only the S580 and S580 Maybach are spared by the said onslaught, according to the unposted document (due to privacy concerns).

Included text in the document that's posted on the thread seeks to provide an explanation:
MBAG has prioritized its focus to comply with various global, external and internal requirements, as well as several other factors, including but not limited to, challenges in the supply chain that have an impact on the product portfolio offered in the US market.
However, we have to point out that the alleged announcement will remain a rumor at this point until an official word from Mercedes-Benz comes out, if at all.

More importantly, the duration of the said move to cancel all V8s for 2022 isn’t clear at this point. But it goes without saying that it's going to be temporary, though Mercedes has already confirmed that the AMG C63 will be downsizing to a four-cylinder hybrid powertrain, moving forward.

We'll know more about this development in the next few days or so. Meanwhile, if you've ordered a 2022 model of one of the cars mentioned above, you might want to contact your dealer to verify the information.

Source: Reddit
Old 08-18-21, 11:47 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I sure hope stuff like this forces the value of the current line of V8s up, including my ISF . I’d happily daily an EV while keeping a nice V8 in the garage for my fun days. Even if it’s the slowest car at a track, it’ll be the best sounding and funnest to drive for me (assuming gas always remains somewhat affordable for it).
Old 08-18-21, 11:53 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I would think as EVs become a larger portion of the population, gas would come down initially. Maybe over the long-term, its expensive because of the lack of distribution.
Old 08-18-21, 01:28 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Same here, but as mentioned above, the easiest way to force a transition away from thirsty V8s is more expensive gas. It’s the only thing that would make me consider the change. I have 2 paid off cars and a 3rd that is almost paid off, so buying another car makes zero sense to me. If gas becomes more expensive over time, I’d maybe eventually rethink that. Granted, it would have to be pretty expensive to make sense. Allegedly, Tesla is eyeing a 25k vehicle. Will that ever happen? Seems unlikely, but not impossible. A cheap EV and big incentives may push the market for a lot of people in the face of high gas prices.
Old 08-18-21, 02:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
I sure hope stuff like this forces the value of the current line of V8s up, including my ISF . I’d happily daily an EV while keeping a nice V8 in the garage for my fun days. Even if it’s the slowest car at a track, it’ll be the best sounding and funnest to drive for me (assuming gas always remains somewhat affordable for it).
haha, i hear ya, and my next 'work' vehicle will be electric. my toy will be my v8 LC.
Old 08-18-21, 02:11 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't understand for the life of me how you guys think that gas prices are going to go down and not up. They may go down temporarily, but as electric vehicles gain market share (and we know they will), gas stations are disappearing & will continue to disappear. In NJ at least, most of the major gasoline brands are gone - the only ones left are Sunoco and...maybe no others. The oil companies have been smart enough to sell off all their presence here. Now we get to buy crap gas like "US Gas" and "Speedy Gas" etc., and sadly, the best gas/price is at Costco.
The number of gas stations (supply) will be kept below the level of demand. This will raise the price. The demand will dwindle, and that will make all of the refining steps, delivery infrastructure, etc more expensive per gallon. The declining market will not invite more players to compete, it will rather cause the few that remain to try to stay profitable by raising the price per gallon. Worse yet, the quality of gas may go to $h!t, as refiners try to shave costs by shortening steps and deleting detergents.
I see it as a sad time for ICE drivers, where gas stations become few and far between, as the need for charging stations replaces the need for gas stations.

My $0.02 crystal ball. If you have a competing opinion of how this may go, I'd like to hear it.
Old 08-18-21, 02:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by engin_ear
I don't understand for the life of me how you guys think that gas prices are going to go down and not up. They may go down temporarily, but as electric vehicles gain market share (and we know they will), gas stations are disappearing & will continue to disappear. In NJ at least, most of the major gasoline brands are gone - the only ones left are Sunoco and...maybe no others. The oil companies have been smart enough to sell off all their presence here. Now we get to buy crap gas like "US Gas" and "Speedy Gas" etc., and sadly, the best gas/price is at Costco.
The number of gas stations (supply) will be kept below the level of demand. This will raise the price. The demand will dwindle, and that will make all of the refining steps, delivery infrastructure, etc more expensive per gallon. The declining market will not invite more players to compete, it will rather cause the few that remain to try to stay profitable by raising the price per gallon. Worse yet, the quality of gas may go to $h!t, as refiners try to shave costs by shortening steps and deleting detergents.
I see it as a sad time for ICE drivers, where gas stations become few and far between, as the need for charging stations replaces the need for gas stations.

My $0.02 crystal ball. If you have a competing opinion of how this may go, I'd like to hear it.
that's pretty funny because it's a very different story here. they're building new, massive gas stations everywhere around here. wawa, circle k, racetrack, marathon and of course we have mobil, bp, shell, texaco, and on and on...

part of it could be because so many retirees move to florida and bring their gas vehicles, including giant rv's.
Old 08-18-21, 02:18 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

And BTW, electric vehicles may have their issues...BUTTTT I welcome the days when there are no alternators to die, no emissions BS, water pumps, oil & coolant changes, spark plugs, 9-millon-gear transmissions, rotted exhausts, bad O2 sensors, etc etc. Bring it on.
Old 08-18-21, 02:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

And BTW, electric vehicles may have their issues...BUTTTT I welcome the days when there are no alternators to die, no emissions BS, water pumps, oil & coolant changes, spark plugs, 9-millon-gear transmissions, rotted exhausts, bad O2 sensors, etc etc. Bring it on.
Awesome for consumers, for dealerships this is about the worst thing possible. Even if a car is dead reliable, you take it to the dealer for an oil change they will almost certainly "find" other things to charge you for.
Old 08-18-21, 02:21 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's pretty funny because it's a very different story here. they're building new, massive gas stations everywhere around here. wawa, circle k, racetrack, marathon and of course we have mobil, bp, shell, texaco, and on and on...

part of it could be because so many retirees move to florida and bring their gas vehicles, including giant rv's.
REALLY? You'd never know it here. It's like they all packed up and took their ball and went home. I'm beginning to plan (seriously) to move to central Florida, Orlando/Tampa Area most likely.
All those names you just mentioned are GONE here, it's crazy.
Old 08-18-21, 02:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

REALLY? You'd never know it here. It's like they all packed up and took their ball and went home. I'm beginning to plan (seriously) to move to central Florida, Orlando/Tampa Area most likely.
All those names you just mentioned are GONE here, it's crazy.
come on down. just did a google maps search for gas stations in my town (ocala) and there's 200 it looks like, LOL

and we have cool regular car meets too.
Old 08-18-21, 02:49 PM
robm
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I do love the sound and feeling of a big ICE, but the EVs will take over at some point. Tesla does have excellent performance in their vehicles and do like them. I really dislike hearing stories like this: Rumor: Tesla China Already Built First $25K Compact EV Prototype (insideevs.com) Tesla and most US companies just do things to make more and more money, forgetting about the impact on our industry/country. We need to make our innovative products HERE, especially NOT in China.
Old 08-18-21, 02:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

ok, no more about tesla here, please.

Quick Reply: Motor1 says rumor is Mercedes killing almost all V8s for 2022