Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor1 says rumor is Mercedes killing almost all V8s for 2022

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-21, 03:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
One car does not excuse Lexus' many such insults to enthusiasts with their model line. Don't get me wrong, we'll take it, but to say that Mercedes has done more of this than Lexus is completely dishonest.
Lexus started the 4 cylinder trend with their god awful hybrids, the HS250 and CT250, and then MB and BMW followed with the slightly less awful turbo fours. No matter, the IS500 seems great, I'm looking forward seeing more reviews and hopefully getting to test drive it.
Old 08-18-21, 03:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Lexus started the 4 cylinder trend with their god awful hybrids, the HS250 and CT250, and then MB and BMW followed with the slightly less awful turbo fours
Lexus in the US actually started with V6 hybrids as well as a V8 hybrid.
Old 08-18-21, 03:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus in the US actually started with V6 hybrids as well as a V8 hybrid.
I am talking about stuffing four cylinders engines into premium segment cars, Lexus did it ahead of MB and BMW with the HS and CT.
Old 08-18-21, 03:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I am talking about stuffing four cylinders engines into premium segment cars, Lexus did it ahead of MB and BMW with the HS and CT.
BMW, Mercedes and Audi in the USA had 4 cylinders long before Lexus did.

Old 08-18-21, 03:42 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Lexus started the 4 cylinder trend with their god awful hybrids, the HS250 and CT250, and then MB and BMW followed with the slightly less awful turbo fours. No matter, the IS500 seems great, I'm looking forward seeing more reviews and hopefully getting to test drive it.
HS250h* and CT200h*
Old 08-18-21, 03:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
BMW, Mercedes and Audi in the USA had 4 cylinders long before Lexus did.

Yes, but for MB and BMW it was long time ago, and I believe at some point they stated that they will never have 4 cylinders in the US. So much for that, lol.
Old 08-18-21, 05:13 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Yes, but for MB and BMW it was long time ago, and I believe at some point they stated that they will never have 4 cylinders in the US. So much for that, lol.
Couldn't have been Mercedes. They had 4 cylinders in C220 (W202 chassis) C-class that replaced the 190E in the 90s. Then a supercharged I4 that sounded like a tractor appeared later in the 90s in the C230 hatch (terrible car) and the first-gen SLK. Much of the mid-late 2000s were absent of I4s but then they came back in the early 2010s.
Old 08-18-21, 06:59 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I drove a GS350 with the 200t. What a joke. My 40 horse '65 bug was more fun to drive.
Old 08-19-21, 05:40 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Awesome for consumers, for dealerships this is about the worst thing possible. Even if a car is dead reliable, you take it to the dealer for an oil change they will almost certainly "find" other things to charge you for.
The sad reality though is that some business models are no longer viable, and really dealerships are high up on that list. Over the next ten years, we will see more and more businesses fall to the changes in society that are coming, and new ones develop.

People don’t need to pay someone to see a Mercedes so that they can pay that person’s boss for the same car. Selling people stuff that constantly needs serviced and worked on is overall a very bad thing for the consumer and the environment, and only benefits those doing the work or selling the parts. Eventually we will all drive cars that just need wiper blades and tires. That’s great news for the entire population. I’m always buying something to maintain a car it seems.

I have thought of a few industries that I doubt will be here in 10 years. Almost any form of middle man job really, as consumers more and more prefer to just order what they want online from a manufacturer (with the exception of major chains like Costco, Lowe’s, etc.)… but I’m getting to far off topic at this point to dive in further.
Old 08-19-21, 06:29 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

That linked review reads like an excuse and the fact they even compared it at all to the lancer is telling.
Old 08-19-21, 07:45 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Striker223
That linked review reads like an excuse and the fact they even compared it at all to the lancer is telling.
Telling that the car is fun to drive? The Lancer Evo is universally known for its engaging driving experience, that is a compliment in that context. Or you can read Car and Driver's track test where they also complimented it's driving characteristics: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...lightning-lap/
Old 08-20-21, 02:52 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Mercedes will still provide V8 engines to Aston Martin

News of Mercedes suspending sales of the vast majority of its V8-powered cars for the 2022 model year hit the presses about a week ago. However, what wasn’t explained then was the fate of Aston Martins with Mercedes-AMG V8 engines.

Many Aston Martin products are powered by AMG’s 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 engine (the M 177 version affecting AMG products), and it’s one of the motors that we reportedly won’t see in Mercedes-AMG products next year. Since AMG is struggling to fit its cars with its own engine, that brings into question Aston Martin’s supply of V8s. Car and Driver got some answers from Aston, though, and the situation in the UK doesn’t appear anywhere near as dire as in Germany.

“Aston Martin confirms that its supply of V8 engines from Aston Martin AG is not affected," an Aston Martin spokesperson told Car and Driver.

So there you have it. Aston’s AMG V8-powered vehicles — Vantage, DB11 and DBX — will supposedly carry on sales without interruption. That’s great news for Aston Martin and any uber-wealthy folks who intend to buy one.

At the same time, Mercedes isn't completely out of the V8 game for 2022. In fact, it's still selling cars that directly compete with Aston Martin: AMG GT Coupe and Roadster. Those Mercedes products use the M 178 version of the AMG V8 and are reportedly unaffected by supply issues.
Source
Old 08-20-21, 03:09 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Not like Aston even wants V8's anymore.

Aston Martin will replace Vantage, DB11 with all-electric cars

Old 08-20-21, 03:22 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I figured Aston would still be getting its V8s, I bet Mercedes would end up incurring some serious "apology" costs via their supplier agreement if they prioritized their own vehicles. Also the rumor is Aston will be moving to Benz's AMG.EA electric vehicle platform, strengthening their partnership. I guess that's what a 20% stake will get you.
Old 08-21-21, 02:48 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Telling that the car is fun to drive? The Lancer Evo is universally known for its engaging driving experience, that is a compliment in that context. Or you can read Car and Driver's track test where they also complimented it's driving characteristics: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...lightning-lap/
So is a Lotus. If they compare it to something as lowly as an evo it proves the point of many here that AMG keeps watering down over time to the point it's so unexceptional you can even make the comparison to cars like that.

20 years ago AMG was so far ahead their cars from them are STILL high performers

Quick Reply: Motor1 says rumor is Mercedes killing almost all V8s for 2022