Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor1 says rumor is Mercedes killing almost all V8s for 2022

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 01:58 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I somewhat disagree. Americans are stubborn. I know endless people (from all political spectrums) who hate EVs just as much as I do and do not want them. Then all this forced electrification will turn into people being even more stubborn, and we know how that goes in this country. My 70 y/o mother knows a little about cars, said she would keep her Enclave indefinitely and just never buy another car again. That car has a great V6. There will be people like me driving ancient LX570s, and adding to the reasons I'll keep it until I'm dead is the Marlboro Man 5.7 V8 rumbling under the hood.

You can lead an American to water, but can't force him/her to drink it. There will be tonnnnnnns of us who just won't be having EVs, huge pushback.
Let's see how "stubborn" they'll remain when gas prices reach $6 a gallon like in Europe and the only new ICE vehicles offered will be crappy 4-pot hybrids.

It'll be the 1970s oil crisis all over again, and we all saw how Americans reacted to that.
Old 08-15-21, 03:46 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Let's see how "stubborn" they'll remain when gas prices reach $6 a gallon like in Europe and the only new ICE vehicles offered will be crappy 4-pot hybrids.
I don't see gas that expensive happening, at least in the next 20-30 years. Gas is expensive right now but it will go back down eventually after certain things happen.

I would still drive my LX with $6 gas (screw em!); granted we don't drive much so it wouldn't be a humongous deal cost wise. Trucks that transport our goods across the country aren't going EV anytime soon (regardless of what Time magazine says) and they rely on fossil fuels. I really don't think gas will be expensive like this forever, it will go back down.
Old 08-15-21, 03:49 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

I don't see gas that expensive happening, at least in the next 20-30 years. Gas is expensive right now but it will go back down eventually after certain things happen.
I'm sure many Americans thought the same thing before the oil crisis hit.
Old 08-15-21, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It'll be the 1970s oil crisis all over again, and we all saw how Americans reacted to that.

In the 1970s, though, we did not have EV options like we do today, although the lack of available charges in some homes is going to be a definite problem.
Old 08-15-21, 05:02 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In the 1970s, though, we did not have EV options like we do today, although the lack of available charges in some homes is going to be a definite problem.
You're right, instead the oil crisis paved the way for our beloved Japanese brands with their fuel-sipping econoboxes that enabled them to take over the entire American auto industry overnight.

Rinse and repeat with EV's...
Old 08-15-21, 07:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,461 Likes on 1,614 Posts

i disagree. It will hit $6 and more due to coming taxes. No getting around it.

I would still drive my LX with $6 gas (screw em!); granted we don't drive much so it wouldn't be a humongous deal cost wise. Trucks that transport our goods across the country aren't going EV anytime soon (regardless of what Time magazine says) and they rely on fossil fuels. I really don't think gas will be expensive like this forever, it will go back down.
As i said i disagree. For transport trucking there may be a tax credit for them since EV trucks won't be there for a while, but we'll see. Right now, the environmentalists have the floor and will push for rapid elimination of ALL fossil fuel use.
Old 08-15-21, 08:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You're right, instead the oil crisis paved the way for our beloved Japanese brands with their fuel-sipping econoboxes that enabled them to take over the entire American auto industry overnight.
That was part of it. Japanese brands also took over because of Detroit's quality-issues.
Old 08-15-21, 08:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Nah.

Right now, the environmentalists have the floor and will push for rapid elimination of ALL fossil fuel use.
That just won't happen. You can't "rapidly eliminate ALL FF use". I've been looking at boats for a year....know how many of them I've seen run on batteries? Planes, construction equipment, large vessels, list goes on. It's just a selling point.

We can't go into it but let's just say I think a big change in power is coming very soon and many people like these will be humbled.

Even with all the EPA lovers all in, WE NEED/USE FOSSIL FUELS. They should google what global shipping containers give off instead of lobbying to have us all whirling around in Jetsonmobiles; it's astounding how awful for the environment large shipping vessels are.
Old 08-15-21, 08:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It might hit $6, but, if it does, I think a lot of people in public office (without getting into politics) are going to lose their jobs. Voters will rebel.
Old 08-15-21, 09:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Why would it hit $6? We aren't at $5 yet
Old 08-15-21, 09:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ

Bitkahuna seems a little more confident of it hitting $6 than I am.....although I'm not totally counting it out. But I see too many voters rebelling if it gets to $6 for any significant length of time (not just for a couple of days, for example, if a storm knocks out a refinery or storage site).
Old 08-15-21, 09:43 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
where in CA do you live? Im paying $4.97 for premium chevron in the Bay Area
Old 08-15-21, 10:41 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That was part of it. Japanese brands also took over because of Detroit's quality-issues.
Quality had little to do with it. Detroit didn't offer any competitive products that could sip fuel, and the few they did were unmitigated engineering disasters like the Pinto. It isn't called the "malaise era" for no reason.

The public recognition for Japanese cars having high quality didn't emerge until the 1980s, prior to that they were seen by the vast majority of Americans (some who still had memories of Pearl Harbor) as "Jap rustbuckets." It was only after the 1970s that basically forced families onto Japanese vehicles that their quality started being recognized.
Old 08-15-21, 10:46 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
where in CA do you live? Im paying $4.97 for premium chevron in the Bay Area
It's been in the $4.xx for a long time now. I have premium at $4.79 here so a little cheaper than Bay Area. Is there a reason it will get to $6?
Old 08-15-21, 10:52 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 694 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's been in the $4.xx for a long time now. I have premium at $4.79 here so a little cheaper than Bay Area. Is there a reason it will get to $6?
it’s roughly $5 per gallon in the Bay Area for premium. It wasn’t that long ago that it was half that.

We’ll definitely see $6 in the not too distant future.

Quick Reply: Motor1 says rumor is Mercedes killing almost all V8s for 2022