Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor1 says rumor is Mercedes killing almost all V8s for 2022

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-21, 06:51 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

If gas continues to increase- it will hinder economic growth substantially which nobody wants.

Most Americans can’t afford to buy a new EV and I don’t see any automaker introducing a $25k EV car anytime soon.

Also the electric grid is not strong enough to support this EV growth. Last week in NYC we had 100 degree heat with high humidity. The news and alerts were telling everyone to turn off AC and all power equipment to avoid blackouts lol.

Also how come nobody is discussing the Earth mining and pollution that will be required to produce millions of batteries on an annual basis.

I know these automakers are in a tough spot but they need to speak out and get the public behind them. Instead they are taking free government $$$$$ and going along with this EV nonsense.
Old 08-16-21, 06:56 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
I'm sure many Americans thought the same thing before the oil crisis hit.
Do you honestly think that EVs will not get taxed to death as well? How do you think the government will replace all that lost gas tax revenue once EVs represent the majority of cars sold?!

The new $3.5m package already includes programs to track your driving habits and miles driven and then assess tax based on that. Believe me EV ownership will NOT be cheaper than ICE cars. Also these things will be impossible to repair by independent mechanic.
Old 08-16-21, 07:08 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 235 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The news and alerts were telling everyone to turn off AC and all power equipment to avoid blackouts lol.
And yeah, right. How many people actually do that? Lol. Here the news is suggesting we set our thermostats to 79 degrees. That's pretty funny. I'll get right on it.
Old 08-16-21, 07:10 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Do you honestly think that EVs will not get taxed to death as well?
LOL that's the complete opposite of how things are now. The government here and abroad are all actually incentivizing EV's in the form of tax credits. You are literally getting paid to buy an EV.

The new $3.5m package already includes programs to track your driving habits and miles driven and then assess tax based on that. Believe me EV ownership will NOT be cheaper than ICE cars.
Would make literally no difference whether you drive an EV or ICE vehicle for that to apply. Regardless, it's a fact that EV ownership is substantially lower than ICE, due to less parts and maintenance required. Doubly so as fuel prices reach new heights and continue to climb.
Old 08-16-21, 07:15 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

LOL that's the complete opposite of how things are now. The government here and abroad are all actually incentivizing EV's in the form of tax credits. You are literally getting paid to buy an EV.
Not for long, you can count on it. Death and taxes......

Would make literally no difference whether you drive an EV or ICE vehicle for that to apply. Regardless, it's a fact that EV ownership is substantially lower than ICE, due to less parts and maintenance required. .
Car and Driver disagrees with you.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-maintenance/
Old 08-16-21, 07:18 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJT123
Not for long, you can count on it. Death and taxes......
I could say the same thing about cheap gas.

Car and Driver disagrees with you.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-maintenance/
The government disagrees with you.

The Government Confirms Obvious: Electric Cars Cheaper to Maintain Than Internal Combustion Vehicles

Old 08-16-21, 07:22 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I could say the same thing about cheap gas.
Gas will go back down, everyone needs to chill out.

LOL. And I hate the government and disagree with much of what it does. So it works out! Articles like this are propaganda. That Car and Driver long term test is raw accurate data from real world experience over 40k miles.
Old 08-16-21, 07:24 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It might hit $6, but, if it does, I think a lot of people in public office (without getting into politics) are going to lose their jobs. Voters will rebel.
As if that did them any good during the 70s oil crisis. Most people moved on, and will continue to do so in the face of change.
Old 08-16-21, 07:31 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Would make literally no difference whether you drive an EV or ICE vehicle for that to apply. Regardless, it's a fact that EV ownership is substantially lower than ICE, due to less parts and maintenance required. Doubly so as fuel prices reach new heights and continue to climb.
From your posts, you seem on the younger side as you haven’t been screwed over by government policies/promises.

There is no free lunch in this world - zero. The $$$ that is lost from gas taxes will need to be replaced. Most dealers now make their $$$$ servicing cars not selling them. How will they survive? Either there will be maintenance that they create or the cost of the EVs will be higher. This is reality.
Right now government incentives are covering some of those expenses for automakers but in the long run consumers will pay one way or the other.
Old 08-16-21, 07:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

And yeah, right. How many people actually do that? Lol. Here the news is suggesting we set our thermostats to 79 degrees. That's pretty funny. I'll get right on it.
You'd be surprised by how many people are civic minded and do heed requests like this.

This is my position on EVs. Would I go out and choose an EV car over a V8? Probably not. Would I choose an EV over a hybrid 4 cyl car? Absolutely. When it comes time for us enthusiasts to move over to new cars ~10 years from now, EV will be the clear and most attractive choice.

Its also self serving, do people want to wait in lines to refuel gas cars at a high price, or do they want to buy slick EVs that they just recharge at home? Thats what happened during the gas crisis, people bought more fuel efficient cars because it saved them time and money.

EV actually makes a TON of sense for a boat. It can generate its own electricity as it moves through the water, when hooked up to shore power its also recharging.

Most dealers now make their $$$$ servicing cars not selling them. How will they survive? Either there will be maintenance that they create or the cost of the EVs will be higher. This is reality.
The dealer business model will shift and adapt. It will be a much trimmer operation with far less real estate and overhead in order to remain profitable.
Old 08-16-21, 07:39 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Gas will go back down, everyone needs to chill out.

LOL. And I hate the government and disagree with much of what it does. So it works out! Articles like this are propaganda. That Car and Driver long term test is raw accurate data from real world experience over 40k miles.
Read the article. The only cost was stupid caliper lubrication and it was only recommended, not required in salty areas. So after 3 years, it was $450 of lubrication costs being the only cost and most owners don't actually get that done because regular break use in snow climates can mitigate the need. This is Tesla specific...the Chevy Bolt had no service requirements for about 5 years and the Ford Mach E service is just a bunch of inspections which no one should purchase at the dealer. EVs have ridiculously low maintenance costs. Mine is literally $40 (outside of tires) in over 2 years for an air filter. My next 2 years, I will have to get new brake fluid which is about $50-100 and another air filter at $40.
Old 08-16-21, 07:40 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

From your posts, you seem on the younger side as you haven’t been screwed over by government policies/promises.

There is no free lunch in this world - zero. The $$$ that is lost from gas taxes will need to be replaced. Most dealers now make their $$$$ servicing cars not selling them. How will they survive? Either there will be maintenance that they create or the cost of the EVs will be higher. This is reality.
Right now government incentives are covering some of those expenses for automakers but in the long run consumers will pay one way or the other.
From your posts, you seem to have an obvious political bias that doesn't align with the current state of affairs.

Dealers will survive by changing their business model. Subscription services, over-the-air software updates. Here's the thing though- this tech isn't exclusive to EV's and is already being implemented in ICE vehicles. The future of cars is already headed in this direction regardless of whether they're ICE or EV's.

Gas taxes? Please, the U.S. has some of the lowest gas taxes in the world. That goes right back to my original point- if we were to tax gas like Europe and China, nobody would bat an eye at moving to an EV. Just like how nobody batted an eye during the 70s oil crisis moving to smaller Japanese cars.
Old 08-16-21, 07:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Read the article. The only cost was stupid caliper lubrication and it was only recommended, not required in salty areas. So after 3 years, it was $450 of lubrication costs being the only cost and most owners don't actually get that done because regular break use in snow climates can mitigate the need. This is Tesla specific...the Chevy Bolt had no service requirements for about 5 years and the Ford Mach E service is just a bunch of inspections which no one should purchase at the dealer. EVs have ridiculously low maintenance costs. Mine is literally $40 (outside of tires) in over 2 years for an air filter. My next 2 years, I will have to get new brake fluid which is about $50-100 and another air filter at $40.
Wasting your breath. He's afraid of and resistant to change, you're never going to convince him or people like him...and you don't need to, there are way more people like all of us in the world, and way more people who really don't have an opinion either way and will buy whatever technology is simplest. All of this is obviously coming, and he will either adapt and join the modern world or he'll become one of those guys driving a rusted out old 80s pickup truck who grows his own food in a bunker in Appalachia like I see all over the place when I go to WV.
Old 08-16-21, 07:46 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

From your posts, you seem to have an obvious political bias that doesn't align with the current state of affairs.

Dealers will survive by changing their business model. Subscription services, over-the-air software updates. Here's the thing though- this tech isn't exclusive to EV's and is already being implemented in ICE vehicles. The future of cars is already headed in this direction regardless of whether they're ICE or EV's.

Gas taxes? Please, the U.S. has some of the lowest gas taxes in the world. That goes right back to my point- if we were to tax gas like Europe and China, nobody would bat an eye at moving to an EV. Just like how nobody batted an eye during the 70s oil crisis moving to smaller Japanese cars.
I don’t have a political bias - i just have never seen any positive results in history of time when Government meddles with free markets. BTW im supportive of EVs and definitely feel they are the future but it has to be organic and not forced change.

Whether the gas taxes are low compared to other countries is irrelevant. We have a dominant economy and more buying power than every other country in the world. It still doesn’t explain how you will replace Billions of tax dollars currently going to the govt through the gas tax.
Old 08-16-21, 07:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

All change is forced to some degree.

Quick Reply: Motor1 says rumor is Mercedes killing almost all V8s for 2022