Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-21 | 05:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by timmy0tool

wonder why the land cruiser and LX are still 6-lug when the tundra/sequoias are all big 5-lug nowadays...world market vs domestic market?
The Land Cruiser and LX have been 5 lug since 1998. Just changed for this gen.

Originally Posted by AJT123
but you have to own one of these to understand. Cult vehicles. I.
Yup
Old 08-24-21 | 05:47 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I know this car is in complete camo, but I can't help but feeling that it looks small compared to an Escalade.
Old 08-24-21 | 05:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I know this car is in complete camo, but I can't help but feeling that it looks small compared to an Escalade.
LX has never fully been “full” size. That is what is so charming about the design.
Old 08-24-21 | 06:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
LX has never fully been “full” size. That is what is so charming about the design.
Yep. Shorter wheelbase for better off road performance.
Old 08-24-21 | 09:39 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Yep. Shorter wheelbase for better off road performance.
I was under the impression that Lexus was actually trying to increase sales and pit this generation against the other BOF SUVs. Guess it’s catering more towards the Range Rover crowd.
Old 08-25-21 | 09:04 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I was under the impression that Lexus was actually trying to increase sales and pit this generation against the other BOF SUVs. Guess it’s catering more towards the Range Rover crowd.
The current LX? It's catering to both. It's way behind. But it doesn't matter to some buyers because nothing has the durability and build of an LX/LC.

That's why they need the LQ crossover to compete with high end crossovers like X7, etc IMO.
Old 08-25-21 | 09:50 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

LQ is not a three-row vehicle, and from all accounts including even resident Lexus Youtube clickbaiter Kirk Kreifels, it's been cancelled. Instead we'll be getting a new three-row based on the upcoming RX known as the TX, the Toyota equivalent of which will be the Grand Highlander.

The LX is such a low-cost investment for Lexus because it's just a reskinned Land Cruiser yet commands a huge sticker, so it won't hurt them to sell it here in North America despite its niche appeal as the profit margins would be enormous.
Old 08-25-21 | 09:59 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
The LX is such a low-cost investment for Lexus because it's just a reskinned Land Cruiser yet commands a huge sticker, so it won't hurt them to sell it here in North America despite its niche appeal as the profit margins would be enormous.
Exactly. And that's why I say they don't care that they only sell 5000 a year here. They're happy with that.

LCs sell like hotcakes all over the world where they're actually needed, the robustness and crazy over-engineering.

Hate to use this as example but I've seen so many LC200s just on TV in Afghanistan with all this going on.
Old 08-25-21 | 11:40 AM
situman
Pole Position

I think Lexus is wholly satisfied with the LX sales numbers and so is Toyota with LC sales. This is been debated. Toyota has ZERO problem selling LC200, in the US is just for pure profit. They load them up into luxury vehicles and cash in. LC200s are everywhere around the world. In Australia alone they sell 40k a year. If you watch the news and see what's going on in Afghanistan, I have noticed at least dozen LC200s in all that turmoil. They are much more basic, but the platform is the same. They sell in big, big numbers in other markets.

Same here! I hope they bring that super high end LQ crossover to market, too. Now, that vehicle I think Lexus will want a lion's share of the market with and if it's good enough they just might get it.

Agree on LS, as an LS430 owner it's a f'n disaster.
Sometimes it all comes down to what you get for the price. Terrible infotainment systems and cramped 3rd row will turn off potential buyers of Escalades and Navigators. At the end of the day, for $100k, they should have up to date infotainment systems and long range useable 3rd rows. And yes BOF vehicles are a different breed and its hard to go back to a unibody.
Old 08-25-21 | 12:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by situman
Sometimes it all comes down to what you get for the price. Terrible infotainment systems and cramped 3rd row will turn off potential buyers of Escalades and Navigators. At the end of the day, for $100k, they should have up to date infotainment systems and long range useable 3rd rows. And yes BOF vehicles are a different breed and its hard to go back to a unibody.
Those both have nice, spacious third rows now. Escalade especially and Navi are state of the art, and quite lovely though I'm not a Ford guy. LX is a dinosaur. But still, there is a group of people who go straight the the LX when buying without thinking of any other competitor at all, and there always will be that group. Same thing if Toyota brings back LC.

LX third row is rated terrible, people in reviews say it's bad but my average-size male buddy sat back there to check it for a 30 minute trip (I can't yet, back surgery) and said he'd sit back there for hours on a trip gladly. Even the third row seats have the nice semi-aniline contrast leather, plenty of vents and cupholders. I thought the third row was supposed to be awful in the LX, and I get why to begin with.
Old 08-25-21 | 01:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think Lexus is wholly satisfied with the LX sales numbers and so is Toyota with LC sales. This is been debated. Toyota has ZERO problem selling LC200, in the US is just for pure profit.r.
It is astonishing that some care about the sales figures for these models. Like what difference does it make if you were to buy one or not. Either buy it or don't buy it, don't buy it based on whether it sells at a certain volume.

That's why they need the LQ crossover to compete with high end crossovers like X7, etc IMO.
Hopefully the LQ stays away from the LX body on frame territory and stays crossover unibody for that crowd.

Agree on LS, as an LS430 owner it's a f'n disaster.
I disagree with you. I think the new LS500 is beautiful car...by far the most prestigious LS so far. The nicest and most interesting interior as well and it has its own identity. I have never really cared for past LS models to be honest (I do know you love your LS though)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-25-21 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-25-21 | 02:02 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

I would say design and build what consumers want. Why design something that will not sell?

If I am Lexus, I would rather sell 15k units per year than 5k. Common sense really.

The major issue is the inability to redesign vehicles sooner. In this day and age, it is difficult to have steady sales on something that has been out a decade +.

Either way, interested to see the new LX, Sequoia and Tundra. Way overdue IMO.
Old 08-25-21 | 02:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

It is astonishing that some care about the sales figures for these models. Like what difference does it make if you were to buy one or not. Either buy it or don't buy it, don't buy it based on whether it sells at a certain volume.
And they're just fun vehicles. I literally caught air yesterday off roading in the dirt, then 2 minutes later moseyed back to the road like nothing happened and drove off. Yes other trucks could handle that fine too, but if I had gotten a Denali or Escalade I wouldn't have done it nor would I really even be itching to take them off road.

Hopefully the LQ stays away from the LX body on frame territory and stays crossover unibody for that crowd.
Yes, LQ HAS to be a crossover.

I disagree with you. I think the new LS500 is beautiful car...by far the most prestigious LS so far. The nicest and most interesting interior as well and it has its own identity. I have never really cared for past LS models to be honest (I do know you love your LS though)
LS was best in class until LS460 in my opinion. LS430 is a truly special car. That was back when people cared about actual cars. Now it's all about high end crossovers and SUVs with the exception of the S-Class which will always dominate and sell.

Though, I do agree LS is best in class or one of best in class looks-wise now, especially with the refresh. I saw a black one EVERYTHING blacked out and about wrecked gawking at it. Absolutely stunning.
Old 08-25-21 | 02:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And they're just fun vehicles.
No kidding sir! I love my SUVs, I don't have one like yours but I finally took my new 4R out on a long trip...amazing! No 10 speeds to keep shifting, no auto stop start to annoy me...a BIG 4.0 liter V6 is what I got, it always has enough juice...always in a good gear....there is SO MUCH room inside....everything works as advertised. Anyways, back the new LX...I'd be more happy if they carried over the 5.7 V8 to tell you the truth

LS was best in class until LS460 in my opinion. .
LS430 was better than the 460 from everything I have read and heard.

Though, I do agree LS is best in class or one of best in class looks-wise now, especially with the refresh. I saw a black one EVERYTHING blacked out and about wrecked gawking at it. Absolutely stunning.
Nice..glad you like the looks I love the looks haven't seen the new refresh as of yet....but every time I see a LS500, I wish I had one....I guess the low sales numbers makes it even more special when you see them
Old 08-26-21 | 08:51 AM
situman
Pole Position

Those both have nice, spacious third rows now. Escalade especially and Navi are state of the art, and quite lovely though I'm not a Ford guy. LX is a dinosaur. But still, there is a group of people who go straight the the LX when buying without thinking of any other competitor at all, and there always will be that group. Same thing if Toyota brings back LC.

LX third row is rated terrible, people in reviews say it's bad but my average-size male buddy sat back there to check it for a 30 minute trip (I can't yet, back surgery) and said he'd sit back there for hours on a trip gladly. Even the third row seats have the nice semi-aniline contrast leather, plenty of vents and cupholders. I thought the third row was supposed to be awful in the LX, and I get why to begin with.
Even the 3rd row in my dearly departed GX is useable for small adults. Just no cargo space whatsoever, the LX is a bit better in that regards. So anyone with a big family, the LX is not a good fit for them.

I'm in the camp of going straight for the LX....if I have the funds.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)