Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-21, 08:17 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
The two screens isn't the issue, it's the infotainment software. Do we know if this LX is using the new infotainment software from the NX? From these press photos it looks like the same unit currently in the ES and IS and other older models sans the touchpad. Goes to show just how haphazardly planned this vehicle was when it comes out the door with an already-out-of-date infotainment.
Yup, that's exactly what I meant in my post. You can tell that this interior design was ready to be launched in 2017-2018 maybe and they had no choice but to sit on it. Lol. It just looks dated already especially when you see what the Escalade looks like. Wild times.
Old 10-13-21, 08:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
S Just doesn't match at all with what we are seeing with the likes of the new NX..
If the NX screen or a screen a little bit bigger than the NX was in the LX, it would look good.
Old 10-13-21, 08:21 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If the NX screen or a screen a little bit bigger than the NX was in the LX, it would look good.
I think it needs much more than that. But that's a start. Lol.
Old 10-13-21, 08:31 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm curious as to whom Toyota sees as the competitor to this vehicle? Is it the likes of the X7 and GLS, or are they aiming more towards Range Rover / G-class / Escalade? From a go anywhere standpoint, it seems like the closest competitor is the G-Wagon, but it doesn't seem premium enough.
Old 10-13-21, 08:36 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I'm curious as to whom Toyota sees as the competitor to this vehicle? Is it the likes of the X7 and GLS, or are they aiming more towards Range Rover / G-class / Escalade? From a go anywhere standpoint, it seems like the closest competitor is the G-Wagon, but it doesn't seem premium enough.
It hasn't grown much in size to be an adult third-row hauler like the rest of the list either, so I don't think Lexus sees those as direct competition. It seems like with most updated Toyota/Lexus products these days, its primary purpose is more to retain existing Lexus (and maybe Land Cruiser) customers rather than draw in new buyers.
Old 10-13-21, 08:40 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It hasn't grown much in size to be an adult third-row hauler like the rest of the list either, so I don't think Lexus sees those as direct competition. It seems like with most updated Toyota/Lexus products these days, its primary purpose is more to retain existing Lexus (and maybe Land Cruiser) customers rather than draw in new buyers.
hmm... considering the negligible sales of the existing Land Cruiser / LX, that seems like a bad decision.
Old 10-13-21, 08:44 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

hmm... considering the negligible sales of the existing Land Cruiser / LX, that seems like a bad decision.
Unfortunately, Lexus didn't have much of a choice because the bones of the vehicle are just the Land Cruiser, whose primary target audience is the Middle East and not North America.
Old 10-13-21, 08:59 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

everything looks great on a screen until you really outdoor, there is snow coming in or rain your hands are dirty or cold/freezing or just having a day at beach going over sand dunes, all of which I usually experience and physical controls are way to go. You guys fail to realize people who buy these do not use them as mall crawlers, maybe some do but most of us do not.. This has to be as functional inside, as they are capable outside.

I love it, and I like the gradual evolution and maturation of the Lexus exterior design language. Out of all of the new redesigns my favorite is the IS F-Sport, but this really good too.

For all of the haters of the dual screen, I hate to say it, but this is the way of the future. It started with Tesla removing all physical controls and the legacy manufacturers are following suite. You'll have to stop being dinosaurs and adapt to the new world.
Old 10-13-21, 09:08 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I wish, it grew just a little. Seems like the 3rd row stores flat now? like the GX has.

Old 10-13-21, 09:58 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
441 lbs lighter!!!
I think they meant to say the frame is 120% stiffer like the LC.
Old 10-13-21, 10:37 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

The two screens isn't the issue, it's the infotainment software. Do we know if this LX is using the new infotainment software from the NX? From these press photos it looks like the same unit currently in the ES and IS and other older models sans the touchpad. Goes to show just how haphazardly planned this vehicle was when it comes out the door with an already-out-of-date infotainment.
No, ive seen videos that show it using the same software as the NX for the upper screen.
Old 10-13-21, 11:04 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Doesn't look like it to me. Completely different graphics and menus, the one in the LX (above) is clearly a generation behind the NX (below).

Old 10-13-21, 11:40 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

What you are viewing on the LX is the smaller lower screen. We have mentioned on here before that it feels like that uses the rear seat software from the LS. But the upper screen uses the same software as the NX. And I have posted earlier in this thread that this difference in software and GUI is extremely terrible and confusing
Old 10-14-21, 04:16 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
everything looks great on a screen until you really outdoor, there is snow coming in or rain your hands are dirty or cold/freezing or just having a day at beach going over sand dunes, all of which I usually experience and physical controls are way to go. You guys fail to realize people who buy these do not use them as mall crawlers, maybe some do but most of us do not.. This has to be as functional inside, as they are capable outside.
I feel like it should be the other way around, most use these as mall crawlers but some like you do not. I would be surprised if most use these for anything but mall crawling, at least in the U.S.
Old 10-14-21, 05:11 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
What you are viewing on the LX is the smaller lower screen. We have mentioned on here before that it feels like that uses the rear seat software from the LS. But the upper screen uses the same software as the NX. And I have posted earlier in this thread that this difference in software and GUI is extremely terrible and confusing
The intro graphics on the upper screen are identical to the ones in the head unit of the ES/IS/LS.

I've yet to see a single video demonstrating the upper unit of the LX. But I seriously doubt it's the same as the NX when the NX infotainment was obviously designed for that larger layout and not a tacked-on head unit from the existing ES/IS.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)