Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-21, 04:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Pretty sure the Japan made Toyota SUVs still have a mechanical link
Old 10-14-21, 05:25 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
all shifters are electronics today, do people still thiink you are moving a mechanical linkage? Transmissions now are all electronically controlled, you are merely moving a stick to make electrical contacts close which control the transmission by solenoids
No, that's what happens when you don't have a shifter "with a stick" and it's electronic. To free up space.

Otherwise it is directly connected to the transmission at least in an LX.

If anyone watched my video, I'm not quite that hard on it but sometimes close. I'd break some electric shifter.
Old 10-14-21, 06:22 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

We use it for cross country trips, 5000k miles per trip or more. We dont fly … have a cargo box and put our mtbs on a rack.
I don’t purposely take it offroad but we sometimes go to places where only a good lifted 4x4 can go. Lx has never failed me, and you can use the same car to drop your kids off to school and take a trail back home.
last time my friend with an awd suv decided to join us to a off grid camping and i had to pull him out 3 times as he kept on getting stuck.
drving sport tv on youtube tested a few awd and its not great and trail is a joke of a trail.

lx is a offroad monster. Super dependable and built to last forever. I dont think any suv in the market compared. People who own one would vouch.

I looked at x7 and really thought hard as it drives very good on road but passed as i know as soon i am offroad it would probably get stuck somewhere.

if this lx gives atleast 25% increase in mpg i am getting it.

Originally Posted by JDR76
I would buy one in a heartbeat. I absolutely love it and keep coming back to stare at the pictures.

I wouldn't really be taking it off road, though it's nice to at least have the option. I'd do some "mall crawling" for sure, but where I would want this would be for a good family road trip vehicle to tow the trailer. Lots of room for all of us plus the dog, and it ought to be a very capable tow vehicle.

Last edited by UZ214; 10-14-21 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-14-21, 07:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
all shifters are electronics today, do people still thiink you are moving a mechanical linkage? Transmissions now are all electronically controlled, you are merely moving a stick to make electrical contacts close which control the transmission by solenoids
I just prefer the feel and action of a regular shifter, whether its connected to anything or not.

Originally Posted by UZ214
I looked at x7 and really thought hard as it drives very good on road but passed as i know as soon i am offroad it would probably get stuck somewhere.
How offroad do you go? I would be very surprised if you ever go anywhere offroad where an X7 would get stuck, unless you purposely go offroad to offroad.
Old 10-14-21, 07:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

The off road chat is interesting. The LX off road stuff is about marketing. Not that it can’t go off road, but realistically 22” rims with no lockers is not much of an off roader. It’s marketing in the same sense that manufacturers market track edition type of cars only to realize that tracks are hard to come by and very few do it. Competition M5 BMWs….what is really nice about Toyota and Lexus body on frame SUVs is that they offer (standard on a Lexus) full time 4wd. It’s mechanical, it’s robust, it’s always working…has no electronics to engage the system. You get used to this feature and I have always had a SUV with full time 4wd since the 90s. What has always been nice about the Japan based Toyota SUVs is that they are not behemoths. I also like the quality
Old 10-14-21, 09:41 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

one time I decided to take the rx as wife had the lx to camping and the plan was we leave early am some driving offroad next to river where we would launch canoe, the under body panels of the Rx were Cracked and one wheel well area also got damaged . It was a disaster, i used the awd locker in the rx. It did ok otherwise. i assumed X7 would probably be the same as i dont think it has skid plates.

everything under the lx is solid metal. You can visibly see the thickness of the stabilizer bars and tie rods etc.

One factor was the dependability of the X7 vs LX or just bmw in general.

i am very comfortable doing brake changes and other smaller maintenance on Lx.

i have a die hard lexus friend who ended up getting the x7 as he rarely goes off road and he is very happy. Infact I found the car and worked a deal with the sales guys at bmw of cherry hill. I have a friend working there...I absolutely love the performance factor you get from the x7 m50. but that's about it I know it won't be as dependable (look at the older X5) oil leaks, coolant leaks have a huge list - my boss with a brand new with 400 mile x5 caught fire because his coolant leaked and I remember picking him up..but that's just whole another variable. I have probably put more than 500k miles on last 3 LXs I have had and believe me when I say I never had a SINGLE issue. It just works every single time

Some pics below of the LX
Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just prefer the feel and action of a regular shifter, whether its connected to anything or not.

How offroad do you go? I would be very surprised if you ever go anywhere offroad where an X7 would get stuck, unless you purposely go offroad to offroad.

Last edited by UZ214; 10-14-21 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-15-21, 06:15 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Some pics below of the LX

You have both second and third refresh? Which one do you like better and why? Just as an owner I'm curious. Mine's a '14.
Old 10-15-21, 07:37 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

one time I decided to take the rx as wife had the lx to camping and the plan was we leave early am some driving offroad next to river where we would launch canoe, the under body panels of the Rx were Cracked and one wheel well area also got damaged . It was a disaster, i used the awd locker in the rx. It did ok otherwise. i assumed X7 would probably be the same as i dont think it has skid plates.
I did just want to point out that while the X7 doesn't have a off road package suitable for this, some SUVs in the class do. The Mercedes GLS can be had with skid plates and off road package that includes low range.
Old 10-15-21, 07:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Criticism on the double screen has nothing to do with being a dinosaurs. Other manufacturers have come up with different solutions that look better. Essentially duplicating what Infiniti and Acura did several years ago will naturally bring out detractors. I can only hope it’s well integrated from a usability standpoint.
Toyota had dual screens since 2006 or so.
They made this one different, because they did not want interior to be all screens - buying public of this vehicle would not like this.

It is funny nobody is pointing out 4 seater, this is what it will make it even better selling.
Old 10-15-21, 07:57 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Exterior- the 13-15 one, i had a 2015

I think the 2015 just looks more masculine
touch screen map and other controls were easy to use
The body panels (doors and others seem more durable/ heavier) in the 2015.
the front approach :clearance seemed to be better in the 2015, the 2018 has a massive front grill and seems like its lower compared.( might just look that way to me)
20” wheels compared to 21” - i have not had issues getting stuck anywhere.

interior- the 2018 is much nicer, it rides quiter and softer? Seems to be able to ride absorb road irregularities and dare i say it handles better too.
blind spot monitoring is a huge win plus the 360 camera, and rear traffic alerts.
the joystick infotainment is useless, probably the biggest con but grom CarPlay solved it, now the big screen is amazing to use.
the headlight output on the 2018 is very noticeable, both high and low beams. If i am on a back road at night it comes in handy.

i traded the 2015 for a new gsf, i thought long and hard
Which one to give away. I wish i got rid of the rx and kept the 15. I miss it.

but underneath they are both the same cars its hard to pick a better one, the 2016 has some nice updates from the 2013+ But since the 2020 just came out i would wait and see how it drives.

i didn’t like the ls500 at all, compared to ls460 (v6tt vs the smooth v8) hopefully its not the case for the lx.

Originally Posted by AJT123
You have both second and third refresh? Which one do you like better and why? Just as an owner I'm curious. Mine's a '14.
Old 10-15-21, 08:14 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
Toyota had dual screens since 2006 or so.
They made this one different, because they did not want interior to be all screens - buying public of this vehicle would not like this.

It is funny nobody is pointing out 4 seater, this is what it will make it even better selling.
If that is the case, then that's even worse on Toyota. The second part of my post still stands and it turns out the systems aren't integrated well at all and have different GUIs which is a disappointment.

I don't think anyone has pointed out the 4 seater element because in the U.S. that option will only add a paltry amount of sales if any at all. Other markets like Dubai would respond more enthusiastically.
Old 10-15-21, 08:41 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Now that I'm looking at things, there seems to be less dashboard differentiation with this generation than the previous. The air vents placed along a strong brow that spans the dashboard was clearly kept in place in both models in this new generation.

2019 Land Cruiser

2019 LX570

versus

New Land Cruiser

Old 10-15-21, 08:55 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The new LX looks solid. It will be on my shopping list for my next SUV (new or used). We never expect it to have the newest tech or innovation. It has been doing good fulfilling the targeted customer and checked off the following boxes
  1. Luxury & Comfort
  2. Reasonable tech & safety feature
  3. On/Off-Road capability
  4. Reliability
Old 10-15-21, 09:05 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Exterior- the 13-15 one, i had a 2015

I think the 2015 just looks more masculine
touch screen map and other controls were easy to use
The body panels (doors and others seem more durable/ heavier) in the 2015.
the front approach :clearance seemed to be better in the 2015, the 2018 has a massive front grill and seems like its lower compared.( might just look that way to me)
20” wheels compared to 21” - i have not had issues getting stuck anywhere.

interior- the 2018 is much nicer, it rides quiter and softer? Seems to be able to ride absorb road irregularities and dare i say it handles better too.
blind spot monitoring is a huge win plus the 360 camera, and rear traffic alerts.
the joystick infotainment is useless, probably the biggest con but grom CarPlay solved it, now the big screen is amazing to use.
the headlight output on the 2018 is very noticeable, both high and low beams. If i am on a back road at night it comes in handy.

i traded the 2015 for a new gsf, i thought long and hard
Which one to give away. I wish i got rid of the rx and kept the 15. I miss it.

but underneath they are both the same cars its hard to pick a better one, the 2016 has some nice updates from the 2013+ But since the 2020 just came out i would wait and see how it drives.

i didn’t like the ls500 at all, compared to ls460 (v6tt vs the smooth v8) hopefully its not the case for the lx.
Thanks for this. The 2016+ LXs are still holding their values like crazy. Well, they all are. I love the 2016 interior upgrade (it was needed) and the front maw, and those stunning 21" rims. But I don't like that 8 speed automatic which slows the truck down and that awful interface. I agree the '13-'15s are the best looking overall. I would like BSM, for sure, but truck has EXCELLENT visibility (another thing non-truck people don't get) so it's not a problem. I always turn around and check my blind spot anyway. The old touch screen works great, IDC how old and dated it is...works just great. I set the locks to where they activate at speed instead of drive, and don't unlock in park. Opening the door unlocks it manually.

I also don't like LS500 for same reasons as you. I do like this. We'll see about the engine. It is what it is, V8 we all love is gone but this will be fast and get much better gas mileage for those who care.

One thing to note is that while it's definitely going next level in the rear seat department, the back seat of any 200LX is a very luxurious, comfortable and nice place to sit. I had my friends drive me around their new city and I sat in the back for about an hour. Seats are amazing, 4 zone climate control, plenty of space, windows go all way down, etc. The ride is nice back there too. I would totally ride cross country in an LX in the back seat and never utter a peep. Too bad I'll never get to, because I'm the driver in this family.

The new one I would want to be chauffeured around in, lol.
Old 10-15-21, 09:37 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

to add the 2019 interior looks more luxurious/ seems more wood interior which i like.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Now that I'm looking at things, there seems to be less dashboard differentiation with this generation than the previous. The air vents placed along a strong brow that spans the dashboard was clearly kept in place in both models in this new generation.

2019 Land Cruiser

2019 LX570

versus

New Land Cruiser

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)