Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21 | 11:04 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you're also the guy that drives 5 miles a week so fuel economy is irrelevant.
I'd still pay whatever for gas and I don't care unless I drove a crazzzzy amount, though.

fuel economy, smoothness and quietness are not good selling points i guess.
No, they are.

this is the 'Amish argument'. you've decided that at some point tech was good enough and nothing beyond that is any good. xjokerx makes the same arguments only further back in time. and the amish make it further back, say 200 years although they seem to like technology like hand tools and fire at least.
Not all new tech is good tech. I know that my gen with the 6 speed LX does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and is astutely geared to work as well as possible with the 5.7, while with the 8 speed it's 7.3. That is significantly, significantly slower. So what exactly is the gain there? Why was that a good idea? I read MT and C&D say the 8 speed neuters the engine, then I go back to old articles on older ones where they describe LX570 with the old 6 speed as fast because Lexus didn't care then, or weren't forced to care about .5 mpg. This truck feels fast and light on its feet, way more than I was expecting. The aggressive transmission tuning helps with that.

Plenty of new things I love but there's also a bunch of bull---- out there too.

in 5-8 years i believe this LX600 could well be an irrelevant dinosaur.
I'll still buy one, lol. I mean, maybe. I will never buy another car; it will always be a truck of some sort. I quite like this new LX and while I wish it had a V8, at least there's nothing EV or hybrid about it. It should perform quite well. How do you mean it would be irrelevant?

I explained my rationale for used cars (vs new for a boat) earlier but it was OT.

Last edited by AJT123; 11-09-21 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-09-21 | 11:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Not all new tech is good tech. I know that my gen with the 6 speed LX does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and is astutely geared to work as well as possible with the 5.7, while with the 8 speed it's 7.3. That is significantly, significantly slower. So what exactly is the gain there? Why was that a good idea? I read MT and C&D say the 8 speed neuters the engine, then I go back to old articles on older ones where they describe LX570 with the old 6 speed as fast because Lexus didn't care then, or weren't forced to care about .5 mpg. This truck feels fast and light on its feet, way more than I was expecting. The aggressive transmission tuning helps with that.
The issue there is not that it's an 8 speed that's causing it to be slower, it's how the 8 speed is designed and programmed. They could have made the 8 speed as fleet at the 6 speed, or they could have made the 6 speed as slow as the 8 speed. I'm totally happy with 6 forward gears as well, but the issue with some of the transmissions with higher numbers of gears is with the transmissions themselves, and not with the number of gears.
Old 11-09-21 | 11:26 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
The issue there is not that it's an 8 speed that's causing it to be slower, it's how the 8 speed is designed and programmed. They could have made the 8 speed as fleet at the 6 speed, or they could have made the 6 speed as slow as the 8 speed. I'm totally happy with 6 forward gears as well, but the issue with some of the transmissions with higher numbers of gears is with the transmissions themselves, and not with the number of gears.
Completely agree. It's not fair to dismiss all 8 speed transmissions merely because of one application in a BOF truck. Try the GS-F for example. And outside of Toyota/Lexus, there's the legendary ZF 8 Speed.
Old 11-09-21 | 11:28 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

The issue there is not that it's an 8 speed that's causing it to be slower, it's how the 8 speed is designed and programmed. They could have made the 8 speed as fleet at the 6 speed, or they could have made the 6 speed as slow as the 8 speed.
That's the same thing to me. It's significantly slower is all that matters to me. The 8 speed's agenda is to go to high gear ASAP to eek out 1 claimed MPG. That was not a "good tech improvement" at all. An LX570 is going to suck gas like crazy no matter what.

I'm totally happy with 6 forward gears as well, but the issue with some of the transmissions with higher numbers of gears is with the transmissions themselves, and not with the number of gears.
Right but maybe they're breaking because they're too complex and have too many gears. I'm not saying it's all horrendous. Just, I don't think a car needs ten gears.
Old 11-09-21 | 11:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right but maybe they're breaking because they're too complex and have too many gears. I'm not saying it's all horrendous. Just, I don't think a car needs ten gears.
Where are the cases of them breaking? I have seen none.

A car needs 10 gears if you want it to have good fuel economy on the highway, thats what this is about. Like I said, my 480 HP 5,000 lb V8 AWD sedan gets 30 MPG on the highway, which is amazing. The 9 speed transmission with the very low final drive ratios is a big part of how it accomplishes that. You may only drive 5 miles, but others drive far more and they do care about fuel economy. Even if I didnt care about the cost of fuel, I can go twice as far as you can before I have to fill up. Highway range is over 600 miles.

If the car drives the way I want it to drive, it can have 25 gears for all I care. This attachment to a certain number of gears has no reasoning behind it other than "thats how it used to be and I don't want that to change. Hell, I had cars with 5 speeds, 4 speeds...3 speed autos. 6 was at one time a ton of gears.

And here's the thing, Lexus is not forced to care about fuel economy. Toyota has so many high volume efficient cars, they could build a 10MPG LX if they wanted to. The point is...consumers care.
Old 11-09-21 | 12:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
Completely agree. It's not fair to dismiss all 8 speed transmissions merely because of one application in a BOF truck. Try the GS-F for example. And outside of Toyota/Lexus, there's the legendary ZF 8 Speed.
Both of our cars have the ZF 8 Speed and it's a gem in both of them. Creamy smooth, always in the right gear and in manual mode the shifts are fast. All of this plus very good fuel economy. It's reputation is well deserved.
Old 11-09-21 | 12:31 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Both of our cars have the ZF 8 Speed and it's a gem in both of them. Creamy smooth, always in the right gear and in manual mode the shifts are fast. All of this plus very good fuel economy. It's reputation is well deserved.
It's also amazing versatile. It can run anything from sports and luxury cars to tire-eating monsters like the Hellcat and Demon.
Old 11-09-21 | 12:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Where are the cases of them breaking? I have seen none.

A car needs 10 gears if you want it to have good fuel economy on the highway, thats what this is about. Like I said, my 480 HP 5,000 lb V8 AWD sedan gets 30 MPG on the highway, which is amazing. The 9 speed transmission with the very low final drive ratios is a big part of how it accomplishes that. You may only drive 5 miles, but others drive far more and they do care about fuel economy. Even if I didnt care about the cost of fuel, I can go twice as far as you can before I have to fill up. Highway range is over 600 miles.

If the car drives the way I want it to drive, it can have 25 gears for all I care. This attachment to a certain number of gears has no reasoning behind it other than "thats how it used to be and I don't want that to change. Hell, I had cars with 5 speeds, 4 speeds...3 speed autos. 6 was at one time a ton of gears.

And here's the thing, Lexus is not forced to care about fuel economy. Toyota has so many high volume efficient cars, they could build a 10MPG LX if they wanted to. The point is...consumers care.
Its not an attachment to a certain number of gears. It’s “why would I want a significantly slower vehicle” in my case. Don’t fix something not broken. A .8 second difference 0-60 is huge, a lotttt more than some may think.

Your car was engineered from the get go to have so many gears, mine wasn’t. 30MPG is impressive hwy but I honestly wasn’t too blown away by your 19 something total average.

ZF 8 speed is raved about I’ve definitely seen it. I’ve heard all kinds of trouble about GM and Ford 10 speed. There were issues with GMs 8 speed even before that.

Old 11-09-21 | 12:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its not an attachment to a certain number of gears. It’s “why would I want a significantly slower vehicle” in my case. Don’t fix something not broken. A .8 second difference 0-60 is huge, a lotttt more than some may think.
The addition of more gears doesn't universally make a vehicle slower. It may have in this particular application with the specific 8 speed and the gearing they adapted to the LX570, but that doesnt mean all transmissions with more gears will be slower.

Your car was engineered from the get go to have so many gears, mine wasn’t.
And so is the 2022 LX600. Thats the topic of this thread, not your LX570.

30MPG is impressive hwy but I honestly wasn’t too blown away by your 19 something total average.
The 19 something total average is extremely impressive for this kind of vehicle with my kind of use. My overall average in the LS460, the RWD LS460 was something like 16 MPG. Thats a huge difference especially when you consider the S560 is heavier, AWD and has 100 more HP. The S Class gets way better mileage and its noticeable in day to day use.

I’ve heard all kinds of trouble about GM and Ford 10 speed. There were issues with GMs 8 speed even before that.
That doesnt mean that has anything to do with the number of gears. There is also zero evidence that transmissions with more than 6 gears are less reliable than those with 6 gears.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-09-21 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-09-21 | 01:13 PM
swajames
Pole Position

So where, exactly, are those saying that the new LX will be slower getting this information?

As far as I can tell Lexus hasn't published any 0-60 specification for the upcoming 2022 LX.

What we do know if the car is significantly lighter and more powerful, and that it will have a much better torque curve.

There is almost no way the new LX should be slower, by any standard metric, than the current LX, much less one from almost a decade ago.
Old 11-09-21 | 01:28 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

The addition of more gears doesn't universally make a vehicle slower. It may have in this particular application with the specific 8 speed and the gearing they adapted to the LX570, but that doesnt mean all transmissions with more gears will be slower.
I know that and never stated otherwise. Just, not all new tech is necessarily good tech all the time. You jail broke both of your vehicles to disable the start stop, I know you get my position at least even if you don’t agree. Even I wouldn’t see myself of all people doing that rather than just disabling it. But I get it.

And so is the 2022 LX600. Thats the topic of this thread, not your LX570.
Okay? Not every topic/thread that you talk about your car is about yours (and you do), either. BTW what RPMs are you turning at 80MPH?

The 19 something total average is extremely impressive for this kind of vehicle with my kind of use. My overall average in the LS460, the RWD LS460 was something like 16 MPG. Thats a huge difference especially when you consider the S560 is heavier, AWD and has 100 more HP. The S Class gets way better mileage and its noticea
19 is good don’t get me wrong. But I figured it would be higher. I would posit that the old universally loved 7 speed automatic used for a long time by MB would give you virtually the same mileage.

That doesnt mean that has anything to do with the number of gears. There is also zero evidence that transmissions with more than 6 gears are less reliable than those with 6 gears.
Call a bunch of GMC and Chevy dealers’ service departments and ask them when the transmissions started getting finniky, it was after they got rid of the 6 speed auto.
Old 11-09-21 | 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I know that and never stated otherwise. Just, not all new tech is necessarily good tech all the time. You jail broke both of your vehicles to disable the start stop, I know you get my position at least even if you don’t agree. Even I wouldn’t see myself of all people doing that rather than just disabling it. But I get it.
I don't agree about universally saying that transmissions with more than 6 speeds are bad, because I have one that is great. The engine start stop is annoying, but if I had a car with a 48V electric system where that transition happened seamlessly and it didnt put out less AC or heat etc when the engine is stopped, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Okay? Not every topic/thread that you talk about your car is about yours (and you do), either. BTW what RPMs are you turning at 80MPH?
You're saying that you don't want this 10 speed because the LX570 is slower with the 8 speed. That doesn't make any sense. Completely different vehicles with different engines.

It turns about 1,400 RPM at 80 MPH.

19 is good don’t get me wrong. But I figured it would be higher. I would posit that the old universally loved 7 speed automatic used for a long time by MB would give you virtually the same mileage.
It wouldn't be as high, especially on the highway. Thats just physics.

If you dont think 19.7 MPG overall on a car like this driven 70% suburban, and aggressively is impressive...don't know what to tell you. Thats really, really impressive and thats 100% a function of technology at work.

Call a bunch of GMC and Chevy dealers’ service departments and ask them when the transmissions started getting finniky, it was after they got rid of the 6 speed auto.
All that means is those transmissions are problematic for GM.

There's nothing magical" about a "6 speed". Different transmissions are made by different companies and different models have different attributes. Plenty of crappy 6 speeds have been made too.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-09-21 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-09-21 | 01:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Hey, folks! Michael here from the ClubLexus editorial team. Lexus flew me to SEMA to check out all of the cool Lexus and Toyota vehicles in person and I was able to spend a few minutes touring the 2022 Lexus LX 600 F Sport. Not only the first F Sport LX in the flagship's history, but this one is the first LX 600 F Sport to arrive here in North America.

https://www.clublexus.com/articles/2...rt-first-look/

In short, it's lighter, more powerful, looks more modern, and features a number of long-awaited tech upgrades on the inside. Cheers!

This LX looks sharp. Read your post. Sadly, the design of the LX center stack is a let down. Too bad the NX has a better design.
Old 11-09-21 | 02:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I don't agree about universally saying that transmissions with more than 6 speeds are bad, because I have one that is great. The engine start stop is annoying, but if I had a car with a 48V electric system where that transition happened seamlessly and it didnt put out less AC or heat etc when the engine is stopped, I wouldn't have an issue with it.
I had no idea it's so bad that it affects climate control, especially on a vehicle like yours. That makes it even worse, a lot worse.

You're saying that you don't want this 10 speed because the LX570 is slower with the 8 speed. That doesn't make any sense. Completely different vehicles with different engines..
I don't "not want" this 10 speed for the new LX. I just think it's unnecessary. It is what it is, cars have changed and there's nothing I can do about it.

It turns about 1,400 RPM at 80 MPH.
That's good.

If you dont think 19.7 MPG overall on a car like this driven 70% suburban, and aggressively is impressive...don't know what to tell you. Thats really, really impressive and thats 100% a function of technology at work.
I was under the impression that you put a lot of miles on the highway. I didn't say I wasn't impressed I just thought it might be a tad higher.

All that means is those transmissions are problematic for GM.
Start calling other brands next, lol.

There's nothing magical" about a "6 speed". Different transmissions are made by different companies and different models have different attributes. Plenty of crappy 6 speeds have been made too.
I'm aware of this as well. I'm not obsessed with six gears. I don't think it's magical, lol. I'm just pointing out a pattern of all this fuel saving crap that is annoying. It's like all the problems diesel truck owners are having with the emissions junk.
Old 11-09-21 | 02:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This LX looks sharp. Read your post. Sadly, the design of the LX center stack is a let down. Too bad the NX has a better design.
In the way you (correctly several times) predicted I would come around on the Escalade, I think you might come around on this LX. I know you already like the styling but you know what I mean.

I'm just thrilled there's no EV or hybrid junk on it.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)