Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-21 | 08:10 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

I agree covered cup holders look better. However I always have a bottle of water with me in a cup holder so it's always left open.
Old 11-10-21 | 10:44 AM
Ashron
Pit Crew

What matters is how the car performs overall. I've had a 2010 LX and now have a 2017 LX and both are heavy slow accelerating vehicles. In the LS500, the V6 was a disappointment. While on paper it had more power, it felt much less refined and felt like its working really hard to keep the car moving. It's not the kind of experience one expects from the top of the line Luxury Car. Not sure Lexus can overcome that in the LX either. The large Range Rover on the other hand had an optional 500HP V8. I wish the LX had such an option. But now there's hope. Besides the obvious (way overdue) upgrades, it appears that the LX could get the hybrid system offered on the new Tundra. (I really hope it will be). The hybrid system will add extra power and better fuel economy. As to reliability of the hybrid system - i'm sure given Toyota's experience with hybrids, it will be a non issue.
Old 11-10-21 | 11:17 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ashron
What matters is how the car performs overall. I've had a 2010 LX and now have a 2017 LX and both are heavy slow accelerating vehicles. In the LS500, the V6 was a disappointment. While on paper it had more power, it felt much less refined and felt like its working really hard to keep the car moving. It's not the kind of experience one expects from the top of the line Luxury Car. Not sure Lexus can overcome that in the LX either. The large Range Rover on the other hand had an optional 500HP V8. I wish the LX had such an option. But now there's hope. Besides the obvious (way overdue) upgrades, it appears that the LX could get the hybrid system offered on the new Tundra. (I really hope it will be). The hybrid system will add extra power and better fuel economy. As to reliability of the hybrid system - i'm sure given Toyota's experience with hybrids, it will be a non issue.
I agree re: LS500, terrible engine compared to the silky V8s before especially.

Apparently the new V6 engine was modified for truck duty. I'm not sure of all the specifics. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Not singling you out at all but it is so entertaining to me how we all debate things --sometimes so passionately-- when all we have to do is wait and see what happens. Lol. We'll know in a couple years about this.
Old 11-10-21 | 05:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I had a 2016 A6 and it had a cover over the cupholders. The wood was fine grain ash which both my wife and I liked. They must have done away with the cover with the new model around 2018 or so.
‘Aside from the pop up screen…that A6 interior looks a million miles better than the all touchscreen version they got going in the new A6. It’s too bad because the A6 is a very nicely styled car…only flaw are the faux tail pipes
Old 11-12-21 | 07:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I see a LOT of new A6s around too, a surprising number
Old 11-12-21 | 07:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
But how about we just leave a ridiculously powerful MB V8 alone. It needs electronic assist crap like we all need a third nut or breast.
doesn't seem like you're aware of how the 48v system works or its benefits. it allows the car to have the engine off when stopped and even when starting out and it's powerful enough that the ICE can start/stop seamlessly. this makes for a MUCH more serene AND MORE RESPONSIVE driving experience in all the MB models using this. it's been reported/reviewed positively everywhere.

it will be interesting to see how the tundra iforce max (hybrid) is. i'm really not following closely enough, but is this lx600 also hybrid or just ttv6?

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't know why manufacturers are doing away with covers for the cupholders, I guess its cost cutting/complexity cutting.
it's because most people NEVER use the covers. filled with keys, phones, wallet, candy, and oh yeah, cups.
Old 11-12-21 | 07:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's because most people NEVER use the covers. filled with keys, phones, wallet, candy, and oh yeah, cups.
In a luxury vehicle where the interior is meant to be beautiful and high quality though, there should be covers to hide the cupholders. I don't really care in a mainstream vehicle.
Old 11-12-21 | 09:21 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
doesn't seem like you're aware of how the 48v system works or its benefits. it allows the car to have the engine off when stopped and even when starting out and it's powerful enough that the ICE can start/stop seamlessly. this makes for a MUCH more serene AND MORE RESPONSIVE driving experience in all the MB models using this. it's been reported/reviewed positively everywhere.

it will be interesting to see how the tundra iforce max (hybrid) is. i'm really not following closely enough, but is this lx600 also hybrid or just ttv6?

So far LX600 is just ttV6 only. I'm glad the 48V electrical thing makes it smoother but I just wouldn't want that in an S-Class, the V8 is enough. The thing is there for fuel economy first priority. Also, if someone wants to keep an S-class long term I sure wouldn't trust it.

The Ram has a similar system and it was a disaster for Car and Driver over a long term road test. They averaged 14mpg over 40k miles with Chrysler's version. I'm glad Mercedes' go at it is more successful but still just wouldn't want this stuff.

BTW LX has a folding cover for cupholders ('13-'15 before the refresh) but it's open virtually 100% of the time. There are not a whole lot of places for storage for things inside other than the glovebox and cooler/center console. Keys and phones, etc. go right in the cupholders. I hope they addressed that for '16 and with this new 300.

Last edited by AJT123; 11-12-21 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-12-21 | 10:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm glad the 48V electrical thing makes it smoother but I just wouldn't want that in an S-Class, the V8 is enough. The thing is there for fuel economy first priority. Also, if someone wants to keep an S-class long term I sure wouldn't trust it.
You have no reason to have this viewpoint is the point, other than your own biases against more modern car tech. Like I've said before, its not for fuel economy only...a vehicle like the S Class needs that system to be able to run all of its electronics and features. The old 12V systems that have been around for 60 years just don't cut it any longer.
Old 11-12-21 | 11:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You have no reason to have this viewpoint is the point, other than your own biases against more modern car tech. Like I've said before, its not for fuel economy only...a vehicle like the S Class needs that system to be able to run all of its electronics and features. The old 12V systems that have been around for 60 years just don't cut it any longer.
What features is the 48V system running in the new S class?
Old 11-12-21 | 11:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What features is the 48V system running in the new S class?
It runs the entire electrical system. There are no belts, no alternator, no starter.
Old 11-12-21 | 11:32 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Yes but it’s for fuel economy first. It’s there to make the disastrous start stop smoother which also for fuel economy etc.

I am sure your V8 only S560 wafts from a stop like nobody’s business. No need for any of that crap.
Old 11-12-21 | 11:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yes but it’s for fuel economy first. It’s there to make the disastrous start stop smoother which also for fuel economy etc.
In this vehicle, it is not for fuel economy first. And "disasterous start stop" is a gross over dramatization lol

I am sure your V8 only S560 wafts from a stop like nobody’s business. No need for any of that crap.
And the S580 with the 48V electrical system does so even moreso. And yes, there is a need for it because the additional features demand it. The old 12V system can not support all of the electronics in a new S Class.
Old 11-12-21 | 01:27 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

In this vehicle, it is not for fuel economy first. And "disasterous start stop" is a gross over dramatization lol
Yet you jailbroke both of your cars to disable it permanently, lol. I find it interesting that as much as I hate that stuff too, I wouldn’t jail break it, but more power to you. Disabling it every start up is arduous?
Old 11-12-21 | 01:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yet you jailbroke both of your cars to disable it permanently, lol. I find it interesting that as much as I hate that stuff too, I wouldn’t jail break it, but more power to you. Disabling it every start up is arduous?
I don't like it, and it was a simple procedure to have it remember the setting I had after a restart...to call it a major issue though is dramatic. Most people drive their cars with it on and have no issue with it. If it were difficult to do I would be one of them.

Having to hit the button every startup is annoying for sure. I'm in and out of my car many times a day.

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus LX600 (4th gen)